Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Remember When...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2005, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
playing cards
wings
equipment stats cards with picture of ac on front.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by ualisthebst
-United 757's had a coach and first class section between doors 1 and 2. There were only 2-3 rows of First and several rows of Y.

-767-200's flew Atlantic routes.
Yikes. You miss those? C'mon over to US Almost makes me feel old!
Old Feb 5, 2005, 8:04 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, UA 1K, BA Silver, paltry DL, expiring points everywhere else
Mainliners (just say no...)
Caravelles (I was very young)
west coast flights to Hilo (ITO)
UA to all 50 states
Cleveland was one of the big UA stations
BOS-LHR
when UA Connoisseur was considered top of the line.

But is nostalgia clouding our memories: UA didn't fly 707s transcon -- DC-8s. And were there really 3 daily ORD-HNL? -- I remember only 2, plus 1 to OGG.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
747-400OB with expanded F and C section on LAX-hKG, ORD-NRT, NRT-PVG
LAX-HKG
RTW flights via DEL
Old NRT terminal long before there was a tiny smoke filled RCC on the second floor.
747-100 intra-asia flights to SHA, PEK, SIN, SEL, MNL
Saipan and Guam from KIX
3 daily NRT-HNL (2x 747-100 and 1x DC-10-30)
747SP transcon
three daily flights to TPE
two daily HKG-SFO (one in the morning one in the late afternoon)
RCC at the old HKG airport and landing at old HKG airport
International first class meals with champaign, vodka, caviar, rack of lamb, steack, custom made salad, soup.... the whole package!!!
EWR-NRT
3x SFO-NRT, 2x LAX-NRT
747-200SP JFK-NRT
747-100 IAD-CDG, IAD-LHR
777 services: MIA-IAD, MIA-LAX, MIA-ORD, MIA-DEN, MIA-SFO
727 services: MIA-ATL, MIA-DCA, MIA-EWR, MIA-LGA and 767 MIA-JFK
HNL-SYD
TPE-MNL
SEL-TPE
HKG-BKK
Lima, Peru and Santiago, Chile
dreadful connoisseur class seats
headphone charge in Y
747 Y IFE and matrons... sorry, I forgot they haven't changed in 15 years.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Feb 5, 2005 at 8:43 pm
Old Feb 5, 2005, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by RichardMEL
* Plateau Bonuses for every 10k miles over 35k flown
* Sales upgrade certs available like candy (if you knew the right people ) (drawback: no SWU's back then). The red ones did domestic, and the highly coverted blue ones were systemwide...
Plateau bonuses were fantastic. I swear that I still have miles left from those years.

The sales upgrades were great and really rewarded the right kind of loyalty. My company had a "buy C, get F if available" deal with UA. So I got F about 80% of the time. Of course, for a $5k ticket, I deserved F. Today, it seems like a lot of FTers want F with caviar, Dom and carved chateaubriand on a double upgrade from a V fare.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 8:44 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Do you remember...

- Do you remember the FIRST time you got on the airplane and experienced the new "cradle beds"?

- When United was a premium airline regarded as the best in the world with the likes of British Airways...speaking of which...

- When United and BA had a partnership and you could cross-exchange mileage between the two? And it was the first time something like that between two airlines.

- The beginning of Star Alliance and it had this futuristic aura to it?

- Those horrible, horrible gold/beige seats in F and C? And then the cloth ones with the mechanical bar as foot rests?

- The screen would come down and there was the movie!

- 777 service from LAX to MIA? Ahhh, I loved LOVED those...and the 777 and 747 three-class service between LAX-ORD and HNL-LAX

- Hourly flights to/from ORD and DFW, LGA, BOS, IAD, IAH, etc?

- Free coffee/drinks in the gates for those flights?

- United painted their liveries that new blue colours to match those of British Airways?

- No one mentioned when United had the London and Paris hubs and flew to places like Athens?

- Non-stopers to Milan and Auckland?

- When in the early 90's there were always seats available for standby and then when the dot com hit there WAS NEVER a seat available for standby, even with 1k status....and then after the dot com bust there were seats available again?

- Those DC-10s?

- When being a flight attendant was like being a doctor or lawyer?

- Losing your luggage before the tracking system meant you'd never see it again?

- Actually GOING to the gate and watching someone arrive/depart (something future enthusiasts will NEVER experience)....

- United getting their first 757 and 767 and being excited to fly on it? How about the 777? And those reading can probably remember the DC-10's and 747-100 (oh! those god-awful 747-100's with only three windows!)
Old Feb 5, 2005, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cuyp
But is nostalgia clouding our memories: UA didn't fly 707s transcon -- DC-8s.
Well, 707's were a long time ago and I was less than 10. Maybe it is the DC-8 I am remembering. Anyway, 4 engines and looks "similar" to a 707.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Ah the memories:

A Miami mini-hub
MIA-LHR
ORD-MIA on a DC8
UA Starts Flights to Europe: CDG & FRA
LAX-CDG
Curtains separating classes on the aircraft
LAX-LHR (x2)
SFO-LHR (x3)
The UA TV ad with the spilling of Starbucks beans
BA check-in counter in ORD T1
Vis-A-Vis magazine
The 777 F seat (before the bed)
LHR-FRA on a 727
ATH and GVA
Trying every which way to get a segment/flight on the new 777
Old Feb 5, 2005, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; SPG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Actually GOING to the gate and watching someone arrive/depart (something future enthusiasts will NEVER experience)
Yes! My two boys are now 21 and 18. I have fond memories of when they were young children and would greet me as I walked off the plane. Those were the days! They were taught by their mother to stay out of the way of the disembarking passengers, but would always give me the biggest hugs when I finally walked off the plane. God, I miss those days. It's a shame what's happened to us...
Old Feb 5, 2005, 9:39 pm

I remember the stretch DC-8's that UA had in the 70's. The legroom that you had in economy must have been 3 feet. No joke.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 9:43 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Do you remember...

- Hourly flights to/from ORD and DFW, LGA, BOS, IAD, IAH, etc?

- Free coffee/drinks in the gates for those flights?
Mmm, Business One. The drinks out of those machines were nasty more often than they were decent.

Anyone else remember the lovely fish boarding video from around April '99? That was a trip.

hamburgler
Old Feb 5, 2005, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TechBoy
Today, it seems like a lot of FTers want F with caviar, Dom and carved chateaubriand on a double upgrade from a V fare.
Thanks for making me laugh

How true, how true.... . But that is exactly what has happened to this industry - people want to fly First class from JFK to SIN for $800.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:44 pm

Programs: Many
- Three class spiral staircase 747s SFO-HNL 18-70-305 config
- KIX-GUM and KIX-SPN-GUM (on Wed and Sun)
- Chateaubriand or pork loin carved seat side from a cart in F
- The caviar/vodka service in F
- Those handheld video players in F
- The short-lived SFO-HNL 747 C-Y config with 5 (or was it 6) rows of the old dark gray with the red/white trim C seats
- The prior, prior NRT RCCs
- Rows 5-8 were upstairs on 747s
- The William F Patterson 747 in the old white livery, somehow it seemed like *almost* everytime I flew SFO-HNL in the 94-96 timeframe I seemed to get this plane
- Ice cream sundaes in F
- 1988 Dom for years, and then one day an apology from an FA telling me that it was no more, and it was now 1990

Last edited by unagi1; Feb 5, 2005 at 10:46 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 6, 2005, 12:20 am

Programs: AA Gld. US Gld.
I am wayyyyyyyyy too young to remember most of this stuff, or to have even been around for it. However, I can just see 20yrs. down the road when I tell my kids:

-There used to be these people who's only job was to serve you on planes. They were called flight attendents.

-When I started flying, people had enough personal space that the mile-high club was a choice, rather than an unavoidable accident. They never used to make us share one seat for two people.

-The airline's inflight magazine used to be free, and if you were air sick, they didn't require you to bring your own vomit bag.

-You would never believe how comfortable the seats used to be. There was actually this little button on the armrest that made them recline!

-Ah the good old days. . . You know, you used to get an entire package of pretzels to yourself! Can you believe it?

-Well, I flew in the days before serious cost cutting. It used to be alright to throw the paper towel in the bathroom away after using it once, rather than having to hang onto it so that you can use it again the next time you have to go to the restroom.

Hey, you never know what will happen. . .
Old Feb 6, 2005, 12:37 am

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
Thumbs up Very Cool Movie

Granted it was paid for by Pan-Am but I think it's cool...
http://www.archive.org/movies/detail...ectionid=19372

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.