Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The more you spend the worse you are treated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The more you spend the worse you are treated

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Joshua
But herein lies the problem--you can't *BUY* an F seat since there's often no inventory that close to departure.

Why doesn't United just leave inventory at F2 A1 for people on last minute Y and B fares and create a booking class for E+?
For every one complaint I read here about why doesn't UA hold some F seat back for last minutes Y and B fares passengers, there are 10 complaints here about UDU not clearing at windows with empty F seats.

Last edited by CAPT Tee; Dec 5, 2011 at 2:47 pm
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DrDesmo
if it's a last-minute thing why not just fly Southwest? You're talking about a 3.5 hour flight, and if you fly B.S. you'll be guaranteed to at least get a non-sucky seat.
that's a good thought
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Yes - correct. I booked 4 days in advance. That is the life of a business traveler. At most I book 2 weeks in advance but most of my trips are booked less than 1 in advance.

Next week I will be either in Asia or Europe. I will not know until 2-3 days before I have to go.
That's life I'm afraid. I usually book my TPAC trips a few days out, if not the night before. The best C seats are usually gone and most of the C-F upgrades have usually cleared already...Just pot luck lately getting a decent seat.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I don't book last minute travel and so I speak only out of theory, not experience, but if one is going to be relegated to E- and it's a crappy middle seat (or for me, I'd equally dislike the window seat), why not book it on US or CO if you can get a better seat? It's still *A and you still earn miles but if you're in E- in a crappy seat then the primary benefit of UA (E+ options when not in FC or possibly going to clear into FC) is negated and you might as well book for the better seat within our several *A options (and add in AC (with superior IFE) if you're Canada-bound).
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
This will be fixed next year when the silvers can't get E+ prior to T-24h.
+1

All joking aside, the interests of 2Ps and 1Ks are sometimes unfortunately opposed and simply can't be reconciled. 2Ps hate the new program as they will have trouble getting E+. But 1Ks who book late will be much better off. So really, a 1K with this current complaint (no E+ when booking late) ought to be saying "I really like the post-merger M+ changes". But do we? Noooooo. (Well, I actually do. With me as a 2MM, my wife Starwoman now gets Premier Platinum for life, which is beyond my wildest dreams, and probably way too generous. But that's another story).
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DrDesmo
Not being all that sarcastic, if it's a last-minute thing why not just fly Southwest? You're talking about a 3.5 hour flight, and if you fly B.S. you'll be guaranteed to at least get a non-sucky seat.

Just a thought ... Loyalty goes in both directions.*

Cheers,
Adam

*Note: I haven't flown SWA all year, and am doing a BOS<>SFO 1 day trip to cement my 1K this year, so just being pragmatic ^
Southwest is far better than united for last minute flights. I should ha booked southwest. I was traveling and my secretary booked the flight and when I saw how bad it was it was too late.

My next couple of flights are on southwest.

I have 175 bis miles on United this year and there they have made it so there is literally no benefit to flying them once you hit 100k.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bldr1k
Southwest is far better than united for last minute flights. I should ha booked southwest. I was traveling and my secretary booked the flight and when I saw how bad it was it was too late.

My next couple of flights are on southwest.

I have 175 bis miles on United this year and there they have made it so there is literally no benefit to flying them once you hit 100k.
Except SW doesn't go to LHR or TPE
Old Dec 5, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by Starman
+1

All joking aside, the interests of 2Ps and 1Ks are sometimes unfortunately opposed and simply can't be reconciled. 2Ps hate the new program as they will have trouble getting E+. But 1Ks who book late will be much better off. So really, a 1K with this current complaint (no E+ when booking late) ought to be saying "I really like the post-merger M+ changes". But do we? Noooooo. (Well, I actually do. With me as a 2MM, my wife Starwoman now gets Premier Platinum for life, which is beyond my wildest dreams, and probably way too generous. But that's another story).
Speaking as a 2P 2b -- won't it be a bit easier in some ways? Will non-elite people still be able to buy E+ farther out than the 2Ps can get it?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Not sure that United should hold back F seats until the last minute (since there are so few of them these days), but I don't see why they can't hold back some E+ seats until the last minute. Would this require a separate booking class, as the other person suggested?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:27 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
I don't book last minute travel and so I speak only out of theory, not experience, but if one is going to be relegated to E- and it's a crappy middle seat (or for me, I'd equally dislike the window seat), why not book it on US or CO if you can get a better seat? It's still *A and you still earn miles but if you're in E- in a crappy seat then the primary benefit of UA (E+ options when not in FC or possibly going to clear into FC) is negated and you might as well book for the better seat within our several *A options (and add in AC (with superior IFE) if you're Canada-bound).
You're assuming that is even a reasonable option on the route in question - it usually isn't.
My example is ORD-DCA. I fly this often for work, and it usually is with very little notice (not by my choice - it drives me crazy!).
My choices are American Eagle or UA. An E- seat is better than Eagle IMHO, an anyways, UA's frequency is better.
US and CO would require a connection - when I'm traveling for work I have neither the time nor the inclination to do that. And I'm not sure why you think seating options would be better on CO or US at the last minute anyways?

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
For every one complaint I read here about why doesn't UA hold some F seat back for last minutes Y and B fares passengers, there are 10 complaints here about UDU not clearing at windows with empty F seats.
Perhaps, but just because they are vocal complainers, doesn't mean their complaint is valid.
In my opinion, there should be no upgrades ahead of time - just send everyone to the DM list and upgrade people in the regular order on the day of travel.

Originally Posted by Starman
+1

All joking aside, the interests of 2Ps and 1Ks are sometimes unfortunately opposed and simply can't be reconciled. 2Ps hate the new program as they will have trouble getting E+. But 1Ks who book late will be much better off. So really, a 1K with this current complaint (no E+ when booking late) ought to be saying "I really like the post-merger M+ changes". But do we? Noooooo.
I'm not really worried about 2P access. My issue is with E+ being sold for $49 to a GM, where their cheapo fair + E+ upgrade fee is still less than my last minute fare, and they get an E+ seat and I don't. Or I'm stuck in a middle seat while they have an aisle/window because they booked 3 months in advance and I booked 3 days in advance.

Just my two cents.

Oh and also, UDU sucks for the same reason. I don't have a problem with unlimited upgrades, but at least make people request them. And again, I don't think everyone should be upgraded in advance. Wait until day of - it would be much more "fair" that way, IMHO.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 5:20 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by StingWest
Not sure that United should hold back F seats until the last minute (since there are so few of them these days), but I don't see why they can't hold back some E+ seats until the last minute. Would this require a separate booking class, as the other person suggested?
Disagree. If they would hold back E+ seats, they certainly should hold back F seats. Makes economic sense. If not sold, use for upgrades.

In fact, I would argue that they should hold back F seats before E+ seats.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
This will be fixed next year when the silvers can't get E+ prior to T-24h.
Seriously? Any links to the policy change? I've been 2P since 2004 just because of E+. My loyalty is gone if this is fact.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Yes, see the consolidated changes to MP for 2012 thread (sticky) in the consolidated UA forum. This is fact.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Originally Posted by boiflyer
Seriously? Any links to the policy change? I've been 2P since 2004 just because of E+. My loyalty is gone if this is fact.
Check out the merger info on the website. Lots of chgs. Most work for me. The no E+ for silver until 24hrs out (check-in) is about the middle of the page....
Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by StingWest
What, so 1P me books at T-48 hours, gets told the E+ cabin is full and to go sit in the back, while all the while the airline is holding onto a few E+ seats just in case someone shows up wanting to book at T-2 hours?

It seems to me that an unavoidable consequence of the idea that you get to reserve your seat at the time of booking is that people who book at the last minute are likely to wind up with lousy seats. I don't think this can be solved from an operational point of view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.