Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The more you spend the worse you are treated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The more you spend the worse you are treated

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2011, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Spoken like a true (OPM) company man.
I find it hard to believe that many people would accept a middle Y- seat for 3+ hours (7+ hours on a RT) for $1,600, and could not find the time to save $300, fly more comfortably and earn more EQMs. YMMV indeed.
Believe it.

I have trouble believing that you think it is reasonable to introduce a connection and waste many hours of my time!

As you said, YMMV and to each their own...

(and don't criticize the fact that it is company money that is being used here... Smart companies recognize the value of their employees time and happiness, and do not want them to waste time traveling unnecessarily...)
Old Dec 9, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

(and don't criticize the fact that it is company money that is being used here... Smart companies recognize the value of their employees time and happiness, and do not want them to waste time traveling unnecessarily...)
Seriously. Most mid-level lawyers at any big law firm are going to be billing out at more than $300/hr. Wasting 3 billable hours (and maybe more, if there is a misconnect) costs the law firm way more than the price delta here.

There are also a lot of firms that are sending employees to seal a deal. Are you going to tell a client, whoops, can't sign today because our employee got routed through XXX and YYY and misconnected, now having no way to get here until tomorrow?
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:36 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Spoken like a true (OPM) company man.
I find it hard to believe that many people would accept a middle Y- seat for 3+ hours (7+ hours on a RT) for $1,600, and could not find the time to save $300, fly more comfortably and earn more EQMs. YMMV indeed.
Like I said, YMMV.

Just curious: Do you travel much for business?
It really is a whole different ball game...
Old Dec 10, 2011, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by g_leyser
Just curious: Do you travel much for business?
It really is a whole different ball game...
My domestic travel is virtually 100% business (my own business) and almost every week. Being SFO-based top-tier AA/DL, I almost always connect, buy the cheapest fare on DL or AA, where my upgrade rate is more than 95%. So I spend more time on plane or at the airport. Big deal. I can work productively anywhere (on the plane or in a club) especially when DL has 100% Wifi and AA more than 50%. When I need a last minute flight or plans change, I'll buy an F ticket, but compare prices (and my schedule) before selecting non-stop, non-stop hidden city or connection.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:57 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
So I spend more time on plane or at the airport. Big deal.
I guess that's the difference between you and me. For me it IS a big deal.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Holding upgrade space to the gate (which lots of people complain about) and prioritizing YBM should mean good things next year for you.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My domestic travel is virtually 100% business (my own business) and almost every week. Being SFO-based top-tier AA/DL, I almost always connect, buy the cheapest fare on DL or AA, where my upgrade rate is more than 95%. So I spend more time on plane or at the airport. Big deal. I can work productively anywhere (on the plane or in a club) especially when DL has 100% Wifi and AA more than 50%. When I need a last minute flight or plans change, I'll buy an F ticket, but compare prices (and my schedule) before selecting non-stop, non-stop hidden city or connection.
My upgrade success rate as a 1K is currently at 66%. On AA I am the lowest status level (2P UA equivalent), and my success rate is 75%. I'm seriously considering jumping ship in 2012.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:44 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
Thanks to the OP for this thread. I have a love-hate relationship with UDU... love it because I'd never have enough e500s to upgrade all of the flights I've received the UDU on (my percentage is in the up 90s), but hate it when I want to do a confirmed same-day change.

I feel for the full-fare people paying top dollar... I made a post today about this very issue. Not everyone agrees with the OP, but I do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.