Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

E- entirely full, no pax permitted to move to near empty E+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E- entirely full, no pax permitted to move to near empty E+

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
Certainly if UA is this firm with doling out exit rows and/or E+, I want US to be the same.
That was my expierence on US
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by epiding
as much as protecting revenue is important, the bitterness it engenders from non-elites flying UA shouldn't be discounted long-term....

For something flying in E- that day.... had they chosen to fly US Airways or Delta or Southwest instead that day, and they wouldn't likely be in the cramped sardine situation in the overcrowded E- cabin (but empty E+). Again, it engenders anti-UA bitterness, and makes the non-status GM want to fly another airline where there would be lower seating density with a similar situation of 1/2 plane full (but 100% E- full).

Sitting in the exit row E+ one row ahead of E-, I'm personally heard of lot of E- seated people in this situation mumble bitterness about the above. And it is sorta true that (with all other plane capacity factors equal) they would have more spacing if they flew another airline without E+. Over time this makes an effect on non-elite fliers.

...thus the alternative in their mind is not them BUYING up to E+ next time, but simply booking another airline altogether period.
+1

In business school, a professor once said, "A company must think of it's best customers today, and also it's future best customers."

By having half the plane empty and not allowing customers to move, as they would on virtually any other carrier, United is just giving up on making these non-elites possible future elites.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+1

In business school, a professor once said, "A company must think of it's best customers today, and also it's future best customers."

By having half the plane empty and not allowing customers to move, as they would on virtually any other carrier, United is just giving up on making these non-elites possible future elites.
And if first were empty should people be allowed to move up there? It is the same thing. E+ is a product that costs more just as first is a product that costs more. If you want it, pay for it or earn status on UA and get it (just like UDU to first) as a perk.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:06 pm

have had this happen several times on the 320 when row 7 (bulkhead) has space. Each time, the FA would come and embarrass the pax (in a kind way) back to his seat. Funny, but its always been a "him" trying to get the e+. One time a pax said that it didnt matter where he sat and the FA got the first officer to come and help the pax understand. love the fact that they enforce this. Now only if they were this good at enforcing boarding order........

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Nov 28, 2011 at 6:19 pm
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:03 pm

+1

Actually, the F/A was probably thinking of her best customers that day, as well as it's future best customers. The only thing that would be encouraged here is having an E- pax who sneaks up to E+ without paying is for the weasel to try doing it again on a future flight. If they could get away with it once, they'll try to do it again in the future.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:41 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Must be an old and illiterate professor.

By having half the plane empty and not allowing customers to move,
as they would on virtually any other carrier, United is just giving up on making
these non-elites possible future elites.
Au contraire, mon frere. Letting customers move up without paying
puts paid to the possibility that they'll pay in future for the privilege.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
On recent flights to/from IST on TK, I upgraded to their premium economy product which is very nice (certainly more than E+).

What was interesting was that once we did pushback from the gate, the flight attendants came through the cabin and put a sticker on each empty seat in premium economy that said something to the effect of "premium economy only" - I guess that keeps people out and eliminates seat poaching.

While Economy plus on UA is not as distinguishable of a product as Business or First from pure sight, it is nonetheless, a separate product that comes with its own price tag.

I really don't see why anyone should complain about it any more or less than First or Business being completely empty while E- is completely full.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I just wished I had these problems.

Sent my assistant to a US trip and we contemplated buying up to E+ for her ... but seeing that there was plenty of space across E- and only middles in E+ on her segments, she happily declined.

On the Asia routes, everyone has E+ access, it seems .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.