Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

E- entirely full, no pax permitted to move to near empty E+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz

I was on UA 6225 ORD-PIT yesterday, seated in E-. Every seat of E- was full, and only 2 rows of E+ were taken (8 pax for about 8 rows).

Many of us asked the FA about moving, and she said it isn't allowed and she could be fired if she allowed us to sit in E+. A pax in the exit row (which oddly was in the E- section) asked if he could move (he said he was a UA premier), and she wouldn't let him move either. It nearly got heated, a pax asked to see the gate agent, but by that point they were closing the door.

I commented, "I wonder what the captain would think from a safety standpoint. Certainly this could impact weight & balance." The FA simply rolled her eyes and scowled at me.

Now I realize each airline has their own policies on special seats. As a mod in the US forum I regularly see posts from elites of *A partners who aren't allowed to book exit rows, etc. As a US elite I know that I'm only entitled to a normal seat on partner airlines, the same as what US does for partners (I know that occasionally things do happen however).
But I certainly think safety issues should be addressed, as when I've been on other small aircraft that weren't full, I've regularly been moved for W&B.
And if there is a policy, it should be communicated to passengers in a better manner. There was no announcement about paying for E+ during the boarding process.
Is this worth a complaint to UA?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm
Is this worth a complaint to UA?
No. Everyone got the seat they paid for.

Economy Plus passengers are entitled to spread out if seats are empty in their rows.

If there were an issue with weights and balances, it would have been factored in before take-off . Passengers don't need to contribute to solving THAT equation.....
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
A complaint to UA? It's worth a compliment to UA for the FA correctly enforcing the rules!

Weight and balance issues are not the passenger's concern. The pilots and airline operations are well aware of the weight and balance requirements of the aircraft being used and if there is an issue then they would move people around.

On UA mainline flights you can generally pay for an on board upgrade with a credit card but it's not available on Express flights like the one you were on. You have to pay at the gate or online advance of your flight if you want E+.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
A complaint to UA? It's worth a compliment to UA for the FA correctly enforcing the rules!
The complaint would be for the FA's attitude and the way she explained (or didn't) the rule.

(note: so far these responses are great to have handy when I get similar complaints on the US forum )
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: 1K on UA, Platinum on CO
Perhaps if US Airways let Star Gold sit in Premire seating UA and CO would follow suite - but it seems it was US air that started to not honor Star Gold status.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
First ^ to the FA for "protecting" E+.

Second, Sounds like you were on a UX flight. I do not believe the FA's have the onboard ability to charge to move into E+ (like mainline does).
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Dr_Adventure
Perhaps if US Airways let Star Gold sit in Premire seating UA and CO would follow suite - but it seems it was US air that started to not honor Star Gold status.
Actually it was UA that has never allowed *G to have E+ for free... so I think it's UA's fault.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by aztimm
The complaint would be for the FA's attitude and the way she explained (or didn't) the rule.
+1. I completely agree with how the FA enforced the policy but not her attitude. E+ is for elites and people who paid to sit in that section. Imagine how you would feel if you had paid $80 to sit in that section only to find out that someone could move up to those seats for free.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Actually it was UA that has never allowed *G to have E+ for free... so I think it's UA's fault.
Not exactly accurate, *G & *S were originally allowed to complimantary E+.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nycua1k
+1. I completely agree with how the FA enforced the policy but not her attitude. E+ is for elites and people who paid to sit in that section. Imagine how you would feel if you had paid $80 to sit in that section only to find out that someone could move up to those seats for free.
+! OP how would you feel if at a concert or ball game you paid top $$ for the seats front and center only to see a bunch of people who paid for the nose-bleed section swaming into the near empty section you are in and paid alot more for those seats the they did for theres

a ^ to that FA, and I just Luv it when an FA is asked and she says sure no problem CC please as its $xx/$xxx for that seat.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
OP - would you ask that same question if F was "near empty" and you wanted to move up there without paying?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The FA deserves a stack of GTEMs for enforcing E+.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

I actually have paid for E+ in the past, only to have people who didn't seated next to me. So it is more of a statement I've made that I'll never pay for it again.
Not only that, but that flight had mechanical issues, cancelled, and getting my money back was a major PITA.

Originally Posted by craz
+! OP how would you feel if at a concert or ball game you paid top $$ for the seats front and center only to see a bunch of people who paid for the nose-bleed section swaming into the near empty section you are in and paid alot more for those seats the they did for theres

a ^ to that FA, and I just Luv it when an FA is asked and she says sure no problem CC please as its $xx/$xxx for that seat.
I began my thread with this--
Now I realize each airline has their own policies on special seats. As a mod in the US forum I regularly see posts from elites of *A partners who aren't allowed to book exit rows, etc. As a US elite I know that I'm only entitled to a normal seat on partner airlines, the same as what US does for partners
When asked about paying, the FA said passengers needed to see the gate agent. When a passenger asked for the gate agent, they were denied.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Was a marketing opportunity lost, perhaps
BUT
Who was to decide who got to move up?
Was the passengers eligible for E+ now going to lose the empty seat next them?
If a customer had paid for E+ access, would they get a refund?

The FA would had to deal with all those issues (amd more) and get it done quickly to keep on time departure.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
The FA really should have made an announcement about buying up to E+ at the gate, especially since he/she must have seen the seat map at some point and realized E+ was empty and E- full.

That doesn't mean E- folk should have been given carte blanche to move up, but it does make it more aggravating to those packed in the back that they weren't given the choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.