Wiki Posts
Search

Oversized Bag with Interline Connection

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Oversized Bag with Interline Connection

I plan to book SFO-IAH on UA/CO and IAH-SIN on SQ on separate reservations.

I have a bag that will be oversized. Most likely I will end up paying the penalty.

Questions:

1. If I check SFO-IAH-SIN, but only SFO-IAH is on UA/CO, will they charge me penalty for intra-US or TPAC?
2. Will SQ charge me a second fee?

Thanks in advance,
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RandomTaiwanese
I plan to book SFO-IAH on UA/CO and IAH-SIN on SQ on separate reservations.

I have a bag that will be oversized. Most likely I will end up paying the penalty.

Questions:

1. If I check SFO-IAH-SIN, but only SFO-IAH is on UA/CO, will they charge me penalty for intra-US or TPAC?
2. Will SQ charge me a second fee?

Thanks in advance,
Your issue is separate PNRs. You have to first get UA/CO to agree to interline.

But if so, they may only charge you domestically. Hard to say, but if they followed IATA rules, you'd be charged for TPAC oversize.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
Your issue is separate PNRs. You have to first get UA/CO to agree to interline.

But if so, they may only charge you domestically. Hard to say, but if they followed IATA rules, you'd be charged for TPAC oversize.
I've had experience with getting UA to interline with even non-*A carriers (CI) to interline so I don't expect this to be a problem.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I've had experience with getting UA to interline with even non-*A carriers (CI) to interline so I don't expect this to be a problem.
On separate PNRs?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
+1. Interlining doesn't seem to be the issue some think. The obvious exception would be with a carrier that simply doesn't interline at all (Southwest?).

Separate PNRs simply aren't an issue. Unless for some reason the check-in agent wishes to be uncooperative. It really seems to be no issue for them to check your bags through to wherever on whatever. And my guess, and it's only a guess, is that you're quite likely to be charged excess baggage fees only on the first airline you're traveling. The procedure is likely there to do otherwise, but it's probably more time-consuming, with little reward, to bother with for the person checking you in. Probably.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
On separate PNRs?
yes.

I've gotten UA to interline with CI on separate PNRs, CO to interline with BD, and conversely CI to interline with UA and even B6. You just need to reproduce proof that you will be on the flights of that different PNR. The most problem I've had with this was only once in ORD when the agent did not know how to make the interlining happen and had to wait for a more senior agent to complete process.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
+1. Interlining doesn't seem to be the issue some think. The obvious exception would be with a carrier that simply doesn't interline at all (Southwest?).

Separate PNRs simply aren't an issue. Unless for some reason the check-in agent wishes to be uncooperative. It really seems to be no issue for them to check your bags through to wherever on whatever. And my guess, and it's only a guess, is that you're quite likely to be charged excess baggage fees only on the first airline you're traveling. The procedure is likely there to do otherwise, but it's probably more time-consuming, with little reward, to bother with for the person checking you in. Probably.
thank you for your input. I'm actually now considering the option of just shipping the item to Asia instead of accompanying, since the shipping cost is not that different from the oversize penalty fees and saves me hassle. The only problem would be customs, since they tend to be more stringent with mail than with airline baggage in my experience.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 30, 2011 at 1:57 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.