Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

E- entirely full, no pax permitted to move to near empty E+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E- entirely full, no pax permitted to move to near empty E+

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
(Rant on: Thanks to UA's idiotic policy about not allowing upgrades on award tickets, my wife and I were doomed to E+ on a flight that is one of the easy UDU's out there... As we watched, the GA came back to get not 1, not 2, but 3 people to invite them to enjoy the trip in F. The horror. I am sure I am much more elite than they are...)
It can be worse. I booked SFO-PEK-PVG-LAX-SFO, paid ticket. Same itin for my wife, but award. Have I ever not cleared LAX-SFO? Not that I recall. I knew it was going to happen ahead of time, but there's apparently no way to turn down the automatic upgrade request, and of course it comes through 5 or 6 days out, and of course by the time I log on and check seats the exit row seat where I was (next to her) is now taken by somebody else, the plane is full, etc. And of course she refused to switch seats with me. Is this drill familiar to you?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
if you have ever seen an on board paid and processed upgrade to E+, let us know.
I recall many posts from people who have, so it can't be that uncommon.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Here is the new part: She then proceeded to say that the empty E+ seats were available for sale, and that they had the credit card machines on board and could process a transaction on the spot if somebody would like to move forward.

I am not sure if she was bluffing on this (to communicate to people the fact that it cost money to sit in E+), or if she seriously would have processed an upgrade there on the spot.

Interestingly, she did not announce the cost to move to E+... (which makes me think it might have been a bluff.) Also, nobody took her up on the offer... My wife and I had an aisle and a middle seat with the window seat empty. As soon as the FA made this announcement, I slid over to the window seat so nobody would try and move there.

Anyway, if you have ever seen an on board paid and processed upgrade to E+, let us know.
This is true, the handhelds for the F&B will accommodate the E+ on-board upsells.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
It can be worse. I booked SFO-PEK-PVG-LAX-SFO, paid ticket. Same itin for my wife, but award. Have I ever not cleared LAX-SFO? Not that I recall. I knew it was going to happen ahead of time, but there's apparently no way to turn down the automatic upgrade request, and of course it comes through 5 or 6 days out, and of course by the time I log on and check seats the exit row seat where I was (next to her) is now taken by somebody else, the plane is full, etc. And of course she refused to switch seats with me. Is this drill familiar to you?
That was my trip home from SD on Sunday! We did reward on the way down, but the tickets on the way home were so cheap I did not even want to burn 10,000 miles.

I bought her ticket first. Then mine later on a seperate PNR. We had bulkhead 7 B and C.

Of course, I was upgraded and I had her in the middle seat (B)...

And, to further prove the similarity between your wife and mine: She refused to take my F seat and sat in row 7...

Yes, happy ending, we are still married one full day later!

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It was a first for me...

When do they do it? Once airborne after the seatbelt sign is off?

If they do it before the plane takes off, coudn't that mess with their on time departures? Do they even have the CC machines booted up before take off? Aren't they electronic, and must be shut down like my kindle?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 14, 2011 at 8:15 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
It was a first for me...

When do they do it? Once airborne after the seatbelt sign is off?

If they do it before the plane takes off, coudn't that mess with their on time departures? Do they even have the CC machines booted up before take off? Aren't they electronic, and must be shut down like my kindle?
Same way the process BOB and drinks. Can be done anytime during the flight. Presently United is a credit-only airline; you cannot pay for anything during the flight with cash.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I know flights seldomly go out with an empty seat in F .... but if so, I'm sure the FA would turn down someone's request to move forward.
Nope.....you should have complimented her on properly enforcing the rules. And it probably got more people thinking "Next time, I'll buy up."If you fly enough to know the benefits of an elite card -- and you paid for those benefits -- you'd be smart enough to ask before boarding if E+ was available.
Of course I would.

I'm just giving a what-if scenario.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'll add to this. I have. I don't see it happen every time there are a fair amount of empty seats onboard, but I have seen it happen a few times.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:19 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Congrats to the Flight Attendant.

Why on earth would somebody with status have a seat in the totally packed back of the plane while the e+ section was mostly empty?

I'm always amazed at the "what if's" people here come up with.

If the elite was too stupid to reserve an E+ seat, they deserve to sit in the seat marked on their boarding pass.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli
Congrats to the Flight Attendant.

Why on earth would somebody with status have a seat in the totally packed back of the plane while the e+ section was mostly empty?

I'm always amazed at the "what if's" people here come up with.

If the elite was too stupid to reserve an E+ seat, they deserve to sit in the seat marked on their boarding pass.
You'll probably see this a lot more next year with Silvers not getting it until check in time. Some may space it.

How many times do we hear about the "what if" GS sitting in the back of the bus with an E- BP? Get a few misconnects, it could happen.

Last edited by Superguy; Nov 14, 2011 at 7:34 pm
Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Anyway, if you have ever seen an on board paid and processed upgrade to E+, let us know.
I've heard the announcement several times when E+ has empty seats, and I've seen the FA process the purchase on the handheld machines a couple of times. IIRC it was near the end of boarding or right after takeoff.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Different Issues

1. E+ is a premium product. Freebies for elites are done, at the latest, at the gate. Once onboard, it's for sale only and can be processed by the FA's through their electronic readers. When those aren't avail., there's no E+ seating sold.

2. Non-UACO *G doesn't qualify for prefered seating on any carrier. This isn't about blame or fault, it's policy across the system. It's just that on UA where E+ really matters (to some), people get wrongfully upset.

3. Not a weight/balance issue. Mainline aircraft can acommodate. But, captain has lawful authority to seat anyone anywhere and could do if there were such an issue, including moving E- pax to F if that's what the captain wants to do.

4. Not the FA's job to look at peoples' FF cards. If there were E+ seats available and a pax who could have had an E+ seat chose not to ask at the gate (or before), he pays or he stays (in E-).

This is being strictly enforced now because under the new MP 2012 program, it's going to be a lot harder for deep discounters to get to E+ other than at the last minute. Will mean that those who fly a lot in deep discount will need to consider buying E+.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
+1 on all the comments about the FA protecting E+.

I still think you should complain about GA's not attempting to increase ancillary revenue
Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by aztimm
I commented, "I wonder what the captain would think from a safety standpoint. Certainly this could impact weight & balance." The FA simply rolled her eyes and scowled at me.
You tried to play the safety card and lost.

And if there is a policy, it should be communicated to passengers in a better manner. There was no announcement about paying for E+ during the boarding process.
In the statement above you imply that you didn't realize you could have paid for E+ and might have done so if only they had made an announcement.

Then we find out that not only did you know about and understand how E+ works, you had no intention of making the purchase.

I actually have paid for E+ in the past, only to have people who didn't seated next to me. So it is more of a statement I've made that I'll never pay for it again.
Not only that, but that flight had mechanical issues, cancelled, and getting my money back was a major PITA.

I began my thread with this--

When asked about paying, the FA said passengers needed to see the gate agent. When a passenger asked for the gate agent, they were denied.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:07 pm

Programs: United 2P
I agree with everyone else- FA should have dropped an under armor "we must protect this house" on people trying to move up without paying
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
as much as protecting revenue is important, the bitterness it engenders from non-elites flying UA shouldn't be discounted long-term....

For something flying in E- that day.... had they chosen to fly US Air or Delta or Southwest instead that day, and they wouldn't likely be in the cramped sardine situation in the overcrowded E- cabin (but empty E+). Again, it engenders anti-UA bitterness, and makes the non-status GM want to fly another airline where there would be lower seating density with a similar situation of 1/2 plane full (but 100% E- full).

Sitting in the exit row E+ one row ahead of E-, I'm personally heard of lot of E- seated people in this situation mumble bitterness about the above. And it is sorta true that (with all other plane capacity factors equal) they would have more spacing if they flew another airline without E+. Over time this makes an effect on non-elite fliers.

...thus the alternative in their mind is not them BUYING up to E+ next time, but simply booking another airline altogether period.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage - Executive Platinum
Smile 2 cents

I'm a US Airways Chairman that gets a ton of my miles through flying United (Philly is my home). I've been given E+ when the FA has needed people to move up due to weight and balance. I've also experienced the opposite. E+ envy? You bet ;-)

I do see how seeing that part of the cabin open while others are cramped is probably more frustrating than an empty F cabin.

Overall - I retreat to this ... I paid for what I paid for. Everything else is icing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.