Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lax and sfo 1k check in?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Often1
When MP kicks in for 2012, 1K UDU will come after Y/B paid by any elite.
I actually have no issue with this. If you're willing to drop the money on full fare (and subsidise prices for the rest of us) you deserve to sit up front if there's space.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Santander
I actually have no issue with this. If you're willing to drop the money on full fare (and subsidise prices for the rest of us) you deserve to sit up front if there's space.
Nor do I. I view it as a positive change. The first shot at an UG goes to the person who paid the highest fare to begin with.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
stand precious little chance of a domestic UG
Continental added this feature a while back and my upgrade percentage went down significantly. But I would not characterize the chance of upgrade as "precious little". I would say "somewhat OK". (excluding hub-to-hub, transcon, and all the new rj route substitutions)
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Santander
Strange, whenever I'm there it usually seems the international checkpoint is a zoo while the domestic one is bearable.
This completely depends upon the time of day - from 9.00 am onwards the international security line can get very long and slow, until about lunchtime.

Before 9 or after 2pm it can be very quiet indeed.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
This completely depends upon the time of day - from 9.00 am onwards the international security line can get very long and slow, until about lunchtime.

Over the summer it has been a zoo around 5:30 - 6:30 pm but it seemed to have quietened down the other day when I went through.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Using the SFO elite security line about three weeks ago, I was shocked to discover that I was the only person in line However, the GM line was stretching all the way to the entrance of the 1K line.. Doesn't help that CAS closed down the second GM checkpoint.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We avoid the international insecurity line at SFO like the plague.
+1

Originally Posted by boycruz
the sfo premier line includes everyone now except Paid F international and GS.
It sometimes looks like a long line but actually it moves rather quickly.
We sometimes just walk over to the international terminal if early enough as lines there non existent
and p.s. F

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Nov 1, 2011 at 3:15 pm Reason: meant security line, not checkin..
Old Nov 1, 2011, 3:13 pm

wait, is the 1K check-in line gone too? I know the security line in SFO has been gone for a long time. But last I actually had to check-in (maybe a month ago) there was a separate 1K line...it was incredibly poorly marked, but it was definitely there.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
My last time through SFO, the elite security line was so bad (looked like an hour to get through) that I'd be avoiding that airport altogether if not for the international terminal, where I discovered a First Class entry over on the right side that doesn't seem to require an international ticket. It was quite fast, except that I first needed to print a boarding pass because they didn't have an electronic reader in that line. The added bonus was coming out at the international United Club, which was much much more peaceful than the domestic club.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:10 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boycruz
the sfo premier line includes everyone now except Paid F international and GS.
There is no distinction between paid and any other International F ticket (i.e. upgrades or awards).

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
and p.s. F
Right.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:35 pm

What are you missing?

Originally Posted by kcblakely

Don't understand why United would do this. Separate lines that at least appear to move faster would seem to be a cost-free way to enhance loyalty and engender upper-tier good will.

What am I missing?
-
You are missing the realization that the new United has changed for the worse.

Prior to the new implementation of all elites in the same line, there was at least some logical organization of getting to a plane and boarding.

Now, with nearly half of every flight having at least 2P and up, we are talking about disorganization beyond description.

To show more of how ridiculous the situation is with the new United, the screens near each gate that show a waiting list will often list 40 or more people waiting for an upgrade. This is silly because only those with the highest elite status and fare will clear an upgrade at the gate because there are only so many seats available for upgrade. I don't see the "logic" in showing such a meaningless wait list figure for customers to view.

The smiling false prophet will continue to downgrade United to a point it will drive away loyal customers. Eventually, the profit line of the new entity will show in the negative.
-
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joel67
My last time through SFO, the elite security line was so bad (looked like an hour to get through) that I'd be avoiding that airport altogether if not for the international terminal, where I discovered a First Class entry over on the right side that doesn't seem to require an international ticket. It was quite fast, except that I first needed to print a boarding pass because they didn't have an electronic reader in that line. The added bonus was coming out at the international United Club, which was much much more peaceful than the domestic club.
Electronic reader lacking? We did the Bart/International/then-to-domestic SFO entry about 3 weeks ago & there *was* a bar code reader in that line to the right. The general line at Intl was packed, but entry via the elite line was about the fastest/smoothest experience you could ever want. But, as they say, YMMV.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid

Would explain it, I generally fly to SFO from another airport and catch flights around 1100-1400. Even if I'm in town I don't think I've ever taken a non-UA flight before 0900.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BH62
Electronic reader lacking? We did the Bart/International/then-to-domestic SFO entry about 3 weeks ago & there *was* a bar code reader in that line to the right. The general line at Intl was packed, but entry via the elite line was about the fastest/smoothest experience you could ever want. But, as they say, YMMV.
Good to know for the next trip. Maybe was just a temporary issue that day.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
To show more of how ridiculous the situation is with the new United, the screens near each gate that show a waiting list will often list 40 or more people waiting for an upgrade. This is silly because only those with the highest elite status and fare will clear an upgrade at the gate because there are only so many seats available for upgrade. I don't see the "logic" in showing such a meaningless wait list figure for customers to view.
That depends significantly on the flight. Hub-hub, yes, odds are that only higher status passengers will clear. But for less popular flights even Premier stands at least a chance of clearing.

Limiting the list to anything short of "everyone" would only lead to people wanting to check with the GA's that they were on the list, because their name isn't showing...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.