Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

1Ks can now bring up to 8 pax to E+ from different PNRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive

Called and spoke with 1K desk today - and was told that 1K requirement for pax to be on the SAME PNR does not apply anymore for E+ access. She read me from her computer screen - I could not believe it. Has anyone else seen that/can confirm?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:02 am

If that's true, then at least we can have a thread to match up silvers with 1Ks on the same flight so that they can get E+ before T-24!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by wcalvert
If that's true, then at least we can have a thread to match up silvers with 1Ks on the same flight so that they can get E+ before T-24!
That's very generous of you, giving away something that costs you nothing. However, as someone who flies a lot more than the silvers and has seen the value of my status eroded in many ways, I'd like to be able to enjoy one of the remaining perqs and actually find good seats for my entire family when we travel together. Similarly I don't appreciate paying for United Club membership and finding the clubs more crowded because do-gooders on this forum like to guest-in total strangers.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I would be careful about this one, on the new created pages for the 2012 program benefits it states the benefit requires a single PNR. Would prefer to see more than one agent as the source -- we know the reliability of a single agent source. In addition, dropping the single PNR is a manual labor intensive process.

Code:
Economy Plus access.

Global Services, Premier 1K, Premier Platinum and Premier Gold members will
 have complimentary access to Economy PlusŪ as early as time of booking. 
 Premier Silver members will have complimentary access to Economy Plus at
 time of check-in. 
                                      Economy Plus access
                                    When available      Companions

Global Services and Premier 1K      At booking         +8 on same reservation
Premier Platinum                    At booking         +8 on same reservation
Premier Gold                        At booking         +1 on same reservation
Premier Silver                      At check-in        +1 on same reservation
It would be odd of such a significant change so soon. However in the past GS have not had the same PNR restriction
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
I just called to bring 2 people up to E+ on different PNRs and the agent wasn't aware of any changes to the policy that would allow me to do so.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Originally Posted by joel67
That's very generous of you, giving away something that costs you nothing. However, as someone who flies a lot more than the silvers and has seen the value of my status eroded in many ways, I'd like to be able to enjoy one of the remaining perqs and actually find good seats for my entire family when we travel together. Similarly I don't appreciate paying for United Club membership and finding the clubs more crowded because do-gooders on this forum like to guest-in total strangers.
Exactly.

I mean, why stop at silvers? Why not have a thread that matches each 1K with up to 8 random non-members to get E+ for free??? Wouldn't that be lovely?

EDIT: I see it seems to be the same PNR... that makes much more sense.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
I would agree. It's a great perk for 1Ks and I assume the intent is to use it when you are flying with family or a friend/colleague. I don't think we should try to "game" this one or United will just take it away. And the previous post is dead on. I've booked flights 1 day out and been stuck in center seats at the back of the bus. It would be nice to not minimize the option for true elites. Granted I'm hitting upgrades 90%+ of the time so the late bookings aren't too big of a problem...unless it's a regional - which I do flight allot. Let's use it as it's intended, Thank United for bringing this to us and respect the intent - it's a great move on United's part.

I'll say it again, I've been quite harsh and outspoken about United's recent fall down's post merger, but they are starting to make some good moves, for me in my situation, at least, so I will point these out as equally as I do their faults.

IN the last month United has swung into positive ground. It's only slightly positive, but none the less, enough to keep me. I see Delta is trying to make some forward moves too. But so long as United keeps me happy, I'm not looking.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Code:
Economy Plus access.

time of check-in. 
                                      Economy Plus access

It would be odd of such a significant change so soon. However in the past GS have not had the same PNR restriction
Wow, major downgrade of a GS benefit. Mods need to retitle this thread.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: SPG Plat
I'm not sure if the previous post are suggesting this is a new perk for 1K (8 in E+ on one PNR of a 1K member). This has been around for several years, and as noted this perk main intention is for 1K family members to fly together.

I did this with 6 members of my family to Hawaii several years ago. It made them very happy and was nice to share this one time with them. I have shared this with my wife many times.

Have no idea about the OP regarding different PNR's and hope this was a mis-communication on the agent side.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I would like United to drop the same PNR requirement.

I travel with the fiance and often we have different arrival or departure dates, but at least one segment together. As a 2P, she is going to have to wait until check-in to possibly get a seat next to me in E+.

Also, glad to see the generosity and FT spirit alive and well.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
...Also, glad to see the generosity and FT spirit alive and well.
Oh, and with the rolleyes, do you mean "getting something for nothing" or "giving something for nothin"????
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I would like United to drop the same PNR requirement.
I agree that adding a same PNR requirement for a single companion is a bad idea, but the OP's report of 8 would be over the top.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
Ok, can some try this: call 1K Desk and ask them to actually look up the rules for E+ for 1Ks? I've asked the agent for Profile number, and she couldn't give me one, but she was literally reading me from the screen, and she said that the words were: "1Ks can bring up to 8 additional people to E+ or purchase additional E+ space. These people can be on different reservations.

The whole reason I started the conversation with the agent is because we're booked on one PNR, and I wanted to let UDU kick in for my self and wife, while use CR-1s for kids, and she said she has to split PNRs for that, and I had concern if we don't clear, will that scatter us in E- cabin.... that's when she told me that it's not true, and I had asked her to actually find that reference in the computer, and she did.

Originally Posted by Antipode
I just called to bring 2 people up to E+ on different PNRs and the agent wasn't aware of any changes to the policy that would allow me to do so.
Did you go and ask the agent to read the rules? It wasn't a certain profile, but it was somewhere int their system. If nobody succeeds in verifiying, I will be calling again and throwing in some light under fire....

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 22, 2011 at 12:27 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 22, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
I wonder if the rule did just change, like maybe on October 1st. Just had a trip this month with a family member on a different PNR. In September an agent refused to grant an E+ seat without a fee, but when I tried again in October (using the standard FT procedure), the next agent did so without comment.

By the way, does anyone else think it odd that Platinums get +8, just as 1Ks do, rather than something intermediate between Golds and 1Ks, like +4? This may just be more evidence of special treatment for PMCO elites.

Originally Posted by joel67
I wonder if the rule did just change, like maybe on October 1st. Just had a trip this month with a family member on a different PNR. In September an agent refused to grant an E+ seat without a fee, but when I tried again in October (using the standard FT procedure), the next agent did so without comment.

By the way, does anyone else think it odd that Platinums get +8, just as 1Ks do, rather than something intermediate between Golds and 1Ks, like +4? This may just be more evidence of special treatment for PMCO elites.
Answering my own question, perhaps they're now differentiating Platinums and 1Ks by only allowing the latter to upgrade people on different PNRs, as GSs were able to do. Pure speculation, but that would actually make some sense.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 22, 2011 at 2:30 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 22, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I would be careful about this one, on the new created pages for the 2012 program benefits it states the benefit requires a single PNR. Would prefer to see more than one agent as the source -- we know the reliability of a single agent source. In addition, dropping the single PNR is a manual labor intensive process.

Code:
Economy Plus access.

time of check-in. 
                                      Economy Plus access

Thanks for the quote! I didn't even know platinum can bring up +8.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.