Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

6.97 for using an e-cert (E-cert issues of late) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6.97 for using an e-cert (E-cert issues of late) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Somebody told me it's an issue with the federal taxes (incorrect programming maybe)? this week.
I had this happen several years ago as well. Nothign that web support can't fix.... or completely botch.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Dog Woof Million Mile Member
Glitch

The UA web support desk told me that there are certain glitches in the system. I was trying to get a Saver Business Award. After days of nothing, three different alternatives popped up at 60K instead of 150K. I would click on the circle, and the same fare change message--back to 150K. Tried the second and third. Same thing. Reloaded the browser and tried again. Same thing. If that happens, call UA and ask about eligibility in the class of fare you are seeking. Some things are not working well in the system. This is one of them.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
It's called .bomb for a reason.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
If the cert is less than the base fare, the system finds you the first fare higher than the cert. You must call in and have web support (not reservations) ticket it for you manually at the lower fare (so always search for pricing without the cert first). Confirm the balance to be paid before giving them your cc (should be tax/fee only)

They have gotten better a processing these, but maybe it was just an easy Rez the last couple of times.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Same thing happened to me and the fare was more than the cert, but would show $10 More when going to the booking page. I probably should have called but I just booked it and didn't go through the trouble; I know, poor behavior for a FTer.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: CO PLT, DL GM, Hertz President Circle, SPG Platinum
UA Gouging E-Certificate Users??

OK, I have been trying for days to apply a UA e-certificate to a reservation. I checked a number of city pairs and on each and every itinerary, when I click my selection the following message appears.

Important message
Please note that your fare has changed due to availability or pricing updates. The lowest available fare is displayed below.

The funny part is that when I remove the e-certificate, the fare mysteriously does not change.

The base fare using the e-cert jumps $20.93; but, w/o e-cert the base fare stays the same.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Were any of the cities in Hawaii? There are reports of an "e-cert tax" in play there.

Regardless of the existence of such a tax, I think UA is being dishonest, or at least misleading, here. The base fare should not change, unless the e-cert requires a minimum fare, which is no longer available. If an additional tax on top of the base fare is required, that's fine, but it should be clearly delineated.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: 1K 2MM
I'm disenchanted w e-certs as well, since I just found out they can't be used when re-booking a flight using leftover $$ from a cancelled non-refundable ticket.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
Were any of the cities in Hawaii? There are reports of an "e-cert tax" in play there.

Regardless of the existence of such a tax, I think UA is being dishonest, or at least misleading, here. The base fare should not change, unless the e-cert requires a minimum fare, which is no longer available. If an additional tax on top of the base fare is required, that's fine, but it should be clearly delineated.
Anyone traveling from Hawaii or Alaska get whacked with an additional tax. Don't ask me why.

But the e-cert is a bit misleading. Your $100 or $200 cert never ends up being in that amount as has been point out. You would think that if the fare is, say, $555.67 and you have a $100 e-cert, the fare should end up being $455.67, right?

It has never happened to me. It ALWAYS ends up being more, never less.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, FPC Premier
and if you have an e-cert that takes a percentage off, the "base fare" using which the discount is calculated is never the base fare that is displayed on the website. Recently, 20% off translated into $130 on a $1285 ticket which supposedly had $72 of taxes.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by honmani2
You would think that if the fare is, say, $555.67 and you have a $100 e-cert, the fare should end up being $455.67, right?

It has never happened to me.
It always works for me as long as I'm not going to Hawaii (I've never tried Alaska).
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I'm getting charged an additional $14.95 on base price when I click through due to 'change in availability'. Odd though, when I re-search without the ecert the price is as shown previously.

Prices on my TCON (not Hawaii) came down to my booking point a few hours ago but I didn't have time to call web support. Now they skyrocketed again.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:04 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Having similar issues for the last week. No HI/AK, just some garden-variety mid-cons.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Web Support can fix it; my experience is that the phone call took about 20 minutes, but 10 of that was because the fare class I wanted vanished while I was on the phone with Web Support.

My case was cut-and-dry. The ticket cost (let's use approximate round numbers) $350 a/i, I used a $100 e-cert, the price went to $260. Web Support was able to get $250.

This was also discussed last Sunday at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-e-cert.html.

The best explanation I read was that someone guessing that FAA taxes are being correctly calculated (and mostly absent) UNLESS you use an e-cert, in which case the taxes get incorrectly calculated as some higher amount.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by idriveuride
Important message
Please note that your fare has changed due to availability or pricing updates. The lowest available fare is displayed below.
This happens to me often so that I pay no attention to it anymore. It's hard enough to find fares that e-certificates will be applicable to (the just over 200$ total fares for example do not get processed with a 200$ off .).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.