Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

6.97 for using an e-cert (E-cert issues of late) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6.97 for using an e-cert (E-cert issues of late) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:18 am

Programs: UA MM, over 1.3 lifetime miles
Devaluing e certs........not a glitch in the system. Nine months ago this nonsense started. When you call web support in late evening, you get someone in India which takes 25 mins. to correct. Just an extra step they created, in hopes that you won't want to be bothered. It's annoying, isn't it?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by boeing747-400
Devaluing e certs........not a glitch in the system. Nine months ago this nonsense started. When you call web support in late evening, you get someone in India which takes 25 mins. to correct. Just an extra step they created, in hopes that you won't want to be bothered. It's annoying, isn't it?
Hmm, when have you called Web Support and gotten someone who is not in India?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mherdeg
The best explanation I read was that someone guessing that FAA taxes are being correctly calculated (and mostly absent) UNLESS you use an e-cert, in which case the taxes get incorrectly calculated as some higher amount.
Precisely what is currently happening.

I've burned six UA e-certs in the last three days. Had to call .bomb support every time to get the correct/adjusted price. Finally a tech admitted that "...we have a problem in the way the pricing software is calculating taxes.".
Old Aug 4, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I concur with those in the know. This is related to the FAA taxes. Just booked BOS-ANC this morning and the website wanted $224 when it should be $211. I gave Web Support (always in India) a ring, and it worked out fine.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Hmm, when have you called Web Support and gotten someone who is not in India?
1K Web Support is in India, too. They are superb, though. ^
Old Aug 4, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
yep, just ran into this here as well.. the quoted price was $13.95 higher than it should be when using a $200 ecert.. i'm sure the booking engine just takes the ecert value and divides it by 1.075 automatically, counting on the taxes to bring it back up to face value..

the web support guy sounded like this wasn't the first one of these he's dealt with this week. he did say it was caused by the taxes. he set up the reservation and queued it over for ticketing, promising not to charge the phone booking fee in the process...

looking at the (on hold, unticketed) record on .bomb, i see the price before deduction. since the ecert will have to be applied manually, i guess that shouldn't surprise me.. (of course, this is the same .bomb that tells me that because i'm a premier member, it has requested an unlimited domestic upgrade on my behalf on a pair of ERJ145's....)
Old Aug 4, 2011, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by wilp888
Also happened to me on a PS flight to JFK last week. I called web support and the agent asked me to send a screenshot over to him and he matched the lower price.
It happened to me as well on Saturday where the base fare went up by $14 after applying the e-cert and a call to web-support had it ticketed at the lower price but no screenshot* was needed as they could see the same lower price.

*I had it handy just in case
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:28 am

This was happening long before the FAA tax mess. If I recall correctly, on that last page it shows fare and then "taxes/fees" separately, which are stated too high if using a cert. It appears they want to add in about $14-15 to fees to pump it up when using a cert. Most people won't bother to call support to get that corrected, so it adds directly to bottom line.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:34 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago - except that the fare increase was more like $25. Called web support - issue resolved quickly.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:47 pm

They really like to consume & waste our time, just making a reservation. Annoying, isn't it? After all, we rec'd cert from some inconvenience by operations.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I have the same issue with 2 reservations.

Contacted 1P Voice and got a $25 ecert...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.