Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

6.97 for using an e-cert (E-cert issues of late) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:52 am
Original Poster

I'm not a regular here, so if this was covered before, please point me in the right direction (search didn't help with the phrase).

I'm trying to book some united flights with an e-cert, but even though the search result page shows them eligible, when selecting the flight it goes into the "sorry, fare change" mode bumping up the price 6.97 USD. W/o the e-cert the price for the same flight doesn't change in step two. Is it because of all this FAA turmoil or a new "enhancement"? I don't recall anything like it last time I used some certs (couple months ago).
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
First, even with an ecert you have to pay the PFCs and any other taxes/fees.
If the ecert amount is greater than the base fare, the only decent way to book it is by phone through web support.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
First, even with an ecert you have to pay the PFCs and any other taxes/fees.
If the ecert amount is greater than the base fare, the only decent way to book it is by phone through web support.
The ecert is lower then the base fare, so no problems there. I know there's still taxes and fees involved - I'm talking about fare increase alone.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Silver, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium
Had the same thing happen to me. I would search, select and as soon as I got to the purchase stage I got the same warning and the price had gone up. So I opened a different browser to do the same search to see if it reflected the new price with a new search and it didn't. Again as soon as I got to the purchase page it gave me the warning again. I didn't purchase at the time because I was frustrated.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: UA MM
the same happened to me, except the difference was more than $6.97. Was anyone able to get around it. I tried many times, but was unsuccessful.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Where are you traveling? Hawaii has a special "e-cert tax" that they apply whenever you use a discount certificate (yes, I'm serious).
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1k; Hyatt Plat; SPG Gold; Avis PC Preferred; Priority Pass Select; AMEX Platinum
Exclamation

Call into web support. they will match what the website is showing, make sure you have some screenshots, but leave the page open from where it shows the price before the price hike..
ive done this many times..
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Where are you traveling? Hawaii has a special "e-cert tax" that they apply whenever you use a discount certificate (yes, I'm serious).
Indeed this has happened to me often when booking flights to Hawaii only...

The surcharge is usually around $10 (depending on the fare, I guess)...
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, UA1K
A similar thing happened to me recently when trying to purchase tickets to Alaska. Eventually, I called reservations and a very kind CSR lady explained to me that there is a glitch in the system, so if any Continental legs are included the fare is not calculated correctly. She made the reservations for me without a problem--and no charge!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Also happened to me on a PS flight to JFK last week. I called web support and the agent asked me to send a screenshot over to him and he matched the lower price.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I'm getting it right now as i look for flights. Price without ecert is $332. Price with $200 ecert is $145.95 and comes with the disclaimer above the itin that 'the price has changed due to availability or pricing updates'.

Oddly, when I searched again, this time without an ecert, there's no availability problems.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Flights to/from Hawaiian destinations have that tax (per United policy), or the State of Hawaii requires it?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:15 am

Serious?

My understanding is that UA calculates Hawaii's GET incorrectly when an e-cert is used on a Hawaii itinerary and that they incorrectly charge the GET on the value of the e-cert. It's a known issue, and at least we used to be able to get Web Support to fix it. I don't know if they will still fix it or not, but they are charging you double tax and shouldn't be.

Is this a Hawaii itinerary? It's usually more than $7 difference when I use an e-cert so this doesn't sound like the Hawaii issue.

-David
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:24 am

Programs: UA MM
i wasn't travelling to hawaii or alaska. i tried it with different dates, and the same result occurred only when i applied the e-cert. i think my price difference was around $16. i will try web support.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:40 am

Somebody told me it's an issue with the federal taxes (incorrect programming maybe)? this week.

Originally Posted by airtvl
i will try web support.
^

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.