Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot walks off plane for wrong meal

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:03 am
axl

Originally Posted by pinniped
The thing is, your other points could be spot on. The airline unions in general may have some very good points. The problem is that when your spat inconveniences me, I no longer care about the validity of the underlying point. All it's going to do is turn me 100% against the union.
There you have it.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
Lighten up...ME?? LOL, I'm the one telling everyone else to lighten up Francis. Yes, the pilot probably over-reacted, time to move on.

As for bosses, no, we really have no "bosses". Our structure is different than other "unions" per say, we're actually an "Association" by name. We elected reps who take our concerns to a master body who makes decisions, but we don't have to "follow" anyone, ie we have no bosses or guys walking around with bats knocking knee caps.

Off to find my buddy Hoffa......

AD
I used to work for one of the firm's that handled the UA Pilots' pension. Two of the trustees were pilots and this is always how they described it to me. Great guys and surprisingly astute when it came to our financial initiatives, which is never the case when dealing with employee trustees on pension boards.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
+1 Great post.

In college, one of my favorite professors told me something you should always remember when dealing with people is to treat your customers right, because without them your company wouldn't exist and no matter how difficult a customer is always remember that a customer is not an interruption of your business but the sole reason it exists.
+100
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:57 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Foxhat
An agreement was made between two parties. One side violated that agreement (not providing the correct meal). The other party took the contractual right to hold performance of his required duties until the requirement was met. The fault clearly lies on the party who violated the terms of the agreement.
Maybe you can make this as a moral argument, but it's not legally correct.

In general, one party's breach of the contract, if it's an accidental, minor, and technical breach, will not entitle the other party to deliberately and completely refuse to perform his/her entire side of the bargain.

Say, for example, you rent a car from Hertz. The agreement says that they will provide you with the car with a full tank of gas, that you will return the car to the original rental location within 2 days, and that you will refill the gas tank when you return the car.

But when you pick up the car, you see that the gas tank is only 7/8 full. Hertz breached the contract. So, would you be entitled to return the car with only 7/8 of a tank of gas in 2 days, rather than with a full tank? Yes, I think so.

But let's say that instead, you want to teach Hertz a lesson to not rip off their customers by providing gas tanks that are less full than the contractually specified amount. So instead, when you are finished using the car, you don't drive back to the Hertz location. Instead, you drive up and down the freeway, deliberately running the gas tank to empty, and then when the car completely runs out of gas, you leave it parked in the middle of the highway, about 5 miles from the Hertz location, and you get out, and walk home. The rental car gets hit by another car because you left it parked in the freeway. Do you think that would be okay? If Hertz sued you for the damage to the car, would you be able to successfully argue that: (1) you and Hertz had an agreement, whereby Hertz would provide you with a full tank of gas at pickup, (2) because Hertz breached their agreement to provide a full tank of gas, you were excused from your duty to return the car to the Hertz location, (3) the fault lies with the first-breaching party, because if Hertz that provided a full tank of gas, you would not have had to punish them, and you would also have had enough gas to drive the last 5 miles to the Hertz location and return the car, and (4) it was appropriate for you to deliberately run the tank empty on the freeway in order to teach Hertz a lesson, and protect future Hertz customers? No. You'd be laughed out of court and be stuck with Hertz's bill for the car.

Obviously, every specific fact pattern is different, and there could be some exceptions to the general rule. But I don't think the fact pattern as described in the OP, whereby UA breached the pilot's contract by omitting the dessert from the pilot's dinner tray and the pilot refused to fly the plane until a dessert was delivered, is such an exception.

Last edited by EsquireFlyer; Jul 29, 2011 at 10:05 am
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: Mileage Plus,Marriott Rewards,Priority Club,Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Maybe you can make this as a moral argument, but it's not legally correct.

In general, one party's breach of the contract, if it's an accidental, minor, and technical breach, will not entitle the other party to deliberately and completely refuse to perform his/her entire side of the bargain.

Say, for example, you rent a car from Hertz. The agreement says that they will provide you with the car with a full tank of gas, that you will return the car to the original rental location within 2 days, and that you will refill the gas tank when you return the car.

But when you pick up the car, you see that the gas tank is only 7/8 full. Hertz breached the contract. So, would you be entitled to return the car with only 7/8 of a tank of gas in 2 days, rather than with a full tank? Yes, I think so.

But let's say that instead, you want to teach Hertz a lesson to not rip off their customers by providing gas tanks that are less full than the contractually specified amount. So instead, when you are finished using the car, you don't drive back to the Hertz location. Instead, you drive up and down the freeway, deliberately running the gas tank to empty, and then when the car completely runs out of gas, you leave it parked in the middle of the highway, about 5 miles from the Hertz location, and you get out, and walk home. The rental car gets hit by another car because you left it parked in the freeway. Do you think that would be okay? If Hertz sued you for the damage to the car, would you be able to successfully argue that: (1) you and Hertz had an agreement, whereby Hertz would provide you with a full tank of gas at pickup, (2) because Hertz breached their agreement to provide a full tank of gas, you were excused from your duty to return the car to the Hertz location, (3) the fault lies with the first-breaching party, because if Hertz that provided a full tank of gas, you would not have had to punish them, and you would also have had enough gas to drive the last 5 miles to the Hertz location and return the car, and (4) it was appropriate for you to deliberately run the tank empty on the freeway in order to teach Hertz a lesson, and protect future Hertz customers? No. You'd be laughed out of court and be stuck with Hertz's bill for the car.

Obviously, every specific fact pattern is different, and there could be some exceptions to the general rule. But I don't think the fact pattern as described in the OP, whereby UA breached the pilot's contract by omitting the dessert from the pilot's dinner tray and the pilot refused to fly the plane until a dessert was delivered, is such an exception.
One of us is a lawyer and it ain't me.

If the pilot taxied out to the end of the runway and then got off the plane your argument would make more sense. If I discovered the car had only 7/8's of a tank when I got into the car I would be fully within my rights (and have done so) to refuse the car and make them change the contract or give me a car with a full tank. The pilot's actions in this case did not put the property of the company or lives of the passengers in jeopardy as would leaving the car in the middle of a highway would.

Last edited by Foxhat; Jul 29, 2011 at 10:19 am
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by joedish
Maybe this was like the contract riders that famous rock bands have. For example, Van Halen used to always have in the contract rider that they were to get M&Ms with the green M&Ms removed. It wasn't so much that they didn't want to have green M&Ms or that they were trying to be snooty, but rather they were putting that in there as a sensor for how much attention to detail was being paid to their requests because they had other important things in there.
That might be a good analogy, because it sounds like this pilot fancies himself as some sort of rock star.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Maybe this was like the contract riders that famous rock bands have. For example, Van Halen used to always have in the contract rider that they were to get M&Ms with the green M&Ms removed. It wasn't so much that they didn't want to have green M&Ms or that they were trying to be snooty, but rather they were putting that in there as a sensor for how much attention to detail was being paid to their requests because they had other important things in there.
That is absolute rubbish. Total and utterly. It was brown M&Ms.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
No, you missed my point completely. I was saying that he was not doing this to seem like a rock start but rather because if the support staff overlooked something with his meal, perhaps they overlooked something more critical as well, that could endanger the safety of others. Attention to detail is important and clearly the support staff were not paying attention to detail.
(1) If safety was a valid concern, then the pilot and the other crew could have validated whatever concern there was without the 45-minute temper tantrum. (What safety-critical responsibilities does the catering staff have, anyway? Keeping the Heineken in F cold enough?) If it's a recurring problem with that caterer jeopardizing airline safety, then handle it offline without impacting the clients.

(2) I've honestly never heard that rock stars put those riders in contracts for some sort of higher-level quality assurance or safety purposes. That sounds like at least part urban legend. Or maybe an original nugget of truth expanded to a ridiculous level in recent years. Whenever a celebrity rider finds its way onto TMZ, it's a thing of absurdity.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus,Marriott Rewards,Priority Club,Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
+1 Great post.

In college, one of my favorite professors told me something you should always remember when dealing with people is to treat your customers right, because without them your company wouldn't exist and no matter how difficult a customer is always remember that a customer is not an interruption of your business but the sole reason it exists.
If your professor is still teaching ask him or her if they know of any company that has a reputation of screwing over their employees that also has a reputation for outstanding customer service. I doubt he or anyone on this board can do so.

While I may not like the actions this pilot took and may feel this is not the issue to showcase my principles on I also recognize that the pilots are the people who I am trusting my life to every time I fly and I would prefer to keep them happy.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
If your professor is still teaching ask him or her if they know of any company that has a reputation of screwing over their employees that also has a reputation for outstanding customer service. I doubt he or anyone on this board can do so.

While I may not like the actions this pilot took and may feel this is not the issue to showcase my principles on I also recognize that the pilots are the people who I am trusting my life to every time I fly and I would prefer to keep them happy.
Geez, it can't be that bad for the pilots - don't they make good salaries? Probably lots more than I make. If it's so bad, go into a different career.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:24 pm

Just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean it is not true. It is definitely not urban legend, at least not in the case of rock band Van Halen.
Fair enough...I just googled and read about the Van Halen M&M's rider. It is sort of what I alluded to earlier: a nugget of truth (VH apparently pioneered technical riders, and the M&M's bit does indeed have a safety/QA angle to it) that modern artists have gone hogwild with.

Interesting stuff...although I still don't believe for a second that this pilot was testing the catering crew for bigger safety issues. If that was the case, the methodology behind the troubleshooting and the behavior of the pilot likely would have been different.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:14 pm

How about Wal-Mart, or Disney? You make the question harder by requiring extremes ("screwing" employees and "outstanding" customer service) but there are definitely companies that make customers happy while simultaneously treating employees unfavorably.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
How about Wal-Mart, or Disney? You make the question harder by requiring extremes ("screwing" employees and "outstanding" customer service) but there are definitely companies that make customers happy while simultaneously treating employees unfavorably.
Unfortunately for them, the contracts or work terms for wal mart and Disney are what they are, and the company isn't cheating anyone out of theirperks, they just aren't promised any to begin with. That's not the case with the pilots or anything covered in this thread
Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:38 pm

If I discovered the car had only 7/8's of a tank when I got into the car I would be fully within my rights (and have done so) to refuse the car and make them change the contract or give me a car with a full tank.
Sure. But refusing to accept deliver of a car that you are paying to drive yourself in is different from refusing to fly a plane that hundreds of passengers are paying your company to ride in. It's the total disregard for the passengers's needs, and effectively using them as bargaining chips, that makes the pilot's actions really unprofessional.

The pilot's actions in this case did not put the property of the company or lives of the passengers in jeopardy as would leaving the car in the middle of a highway would.
The possible loss of life is not the point of the example. You could change it to abandoning the car in a desert, rather than abandoning it on a freeway, and it would not make the renter's actions any more legally justifiable based on Hertz's failure to provide a 100% full tank of gas.

The pilot's actions in this case wasted a large amount of the passengers' time and subjected both the passengers and the airline to risk of financial losses (e.g. ticket refunds and/or compensation resulting from the delay or missed connections). Some passengers or airline may even have suffered some financial losses already that we aren't aware of, but certainly, the risk increased with the length of the pilot's delay.

The point is that the original claim I was responding to (that the airline's failure to provide two side dishes justified the pilot's refusal to fly the plane) is not legally valid. If anyone is interested in reading more about the issue of whether a minor breach by one party justifies non-performance by the other party, I suggest reading about Jacob & Young v. Kent, commonly called the "Reading pipe case."

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Unfortunately for them, the contracts or work terms for wal mart and Disney are what they are, and the company isn't cheating anyone out of theirperks, they just aren't promised any to begin with.
That wasn't the question. The question was:

So I gave two examples of such companies.
Also, Wal-Mart is, at a minimum, accused of violating numerous contracts and/or statutes by mistreating their employees.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 29, 2011 at 5:19 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:57 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by jkburns1
He had 150 passengers he inconvenienced for his damn meal...
The way I read this is United, per their contract, is obligated to certain actions which include the supply of crew meals for the pilot/co-pilot and since UA does not not own their kitchens they rely on vendors for the production of the meals.

UA, or their agent(s), were obligated to deliver a meal, to a certain pre-defined standard, to the flight and they failed to do so effectively failing to hold up their side of the contract.

Bottom line, I don't think the blame for this rest with the pilot (if the meal had been delivered correctly the flight would have left); it rests with UA for not ensuring their subcontractors are complying with their contracts.

Thus the pilot decided to wait until the situation was rectified, which it eventually was some 45m later.

Is this a pain for passengers? Yes.

But does the pilot also have a valid, despite what customers think, reason for waiting? Yes.

Like it or hate it it seems like the pilot followed his contract, and if that hacks us as customers off, it seems our ire needs to be focused against those who drafted the contract, not those who're trying work under it.

And honestly with the current climate of "get serious" right now between ALPA and the powers that be I'd guess we'll be seeing pilots less inclined to do the company favors with cockpit staff opting instead to fly the contract. <shrug>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.