Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class: LH 340-300 vs. UA 767-300?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Sorry to burst your UA rah-rah bubble, but LH First pax have access to UA IFLs in the US, while UA First pax are relegated to *A lounges at FRA/MUC and have no access to the LH FCT/FCLs.
His point was at LAX LH goes out of TBIT, which has only the *A lounge, and UA uses T6,7,8 with the IFL in T7 (all airside accessible) and that the UA LAX IFL is superior to the *A lounge in TBIT.

Yeah, who cares about service and meals?

And our LH seats and bed were so uncomfortable last week.
Damn the new LH F seats look NICE! Thanks for the pics, I hadn't seen what their new F looked like.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Sorry to burst your UA rah-rah bubble, but LH First pax have access to UA IFLs in the US, while UA First pax are relegated to *A lounges at FRA/MUC and have no access to the LH FCT/FCLs.

Yeah, who cares about service and meals?

And our LH seats and bed were so uncomfortable last week.

on a sidenote, i find it funny how much backlash UA gets for their F suite being "open" and having no "privacy", yet...

The new LH seat (i've sat it at the a380 press preview) is extraordinarily comfortable - yet at the same time, you have zero privacy. This isn't a suite of any sort. To lamment about how poor the UA hard product is, and about how both the old and new LH F seat is so much better is a little disingenuous IMO. Yes, the new LH seat has more tasteful design detailing, but the UA f suite, IMO, also gains points for the sophistication of being a sideways facing full "shell" suite design. It's not a bad product, and extremely comfortable.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Just to confirm, this is a sample set of one on LH? Not calling you out, just saying let's see if you still feel that way after having flown both a number of times. LH first has a huge novelty factor, which UA's definitely doesn't. But for me, at least, in the long-term I've preferred UA.

And while I note your point about non-stop vs. connection, that doesn't really address any of the issues of which is better. Of course non-stop takes the cake, but if you're flying a route where they compete (ORD, IAD, etc.), I hold that UA is materially more comfortable - nothing more.
I doubt I will be flying UA or LH intercontinental F more than once or twice a year, if that. That likely makes a difference in terms of novelty factor as well as the "familiarity breeds contempt" factor... as well as making it likely that within 5 trips or so the point will be mooted once LH and UA finish their conversions.

It still doesn't change what I feel- which is the couple of things I think UA is clearly better on don't matter as much to me as the things LH is better on. I do not watch a lot of television and movies, personally (so IFE is a novelty no matter who is providing it), and I simply don't care about privacy in the cabin for sleeping and eating, and the LH seat was "good enough" for sleep. That being said, this is entirely subjective.

One other factor that will help inform you about my perspective- I've done my share of travel in intercontinental Y... including LH. This helps me keep grounded when I am sitting here going "well, I like LH F better than UA F", though it definitely marks me as a plebeian.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ZRH IMHO is the best UA station for catering. While not LH standard, GateGourmet even gets tasty quality out of UAs menus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.