First Class: LH 340-300 vs. UA 767-300?

Old Jul 10, 2011, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA; The Peninsula
First Class: LH 340-300 vs. UA 767-300?

Does UA979 (ZRH-EWR) have First Suites? It's a 763. The UA website claims that First Suites are available on that aircraft but, you know, that could mean they're "in the process of installing them."
Old Jul 10, 2011, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Peninsula
Does UA979 (ZRH-EWR) have First Suites? It's a 763. The UA website claims that First Suites are available on that aircraft but, you know, that could mean they're "in the process of installing them."
All 763s are outfitted w/IPTE - it's only the 777s that are a tossup. 763 F suite is great. Almost as good as CO BF!
Old Jul 10, 2011, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA; The Peninsula
Ok, so First Class: LH 340-300 vs. UA 767-300?
Old Jul 10, 2011, 2:26 pm

Ex-FRA/MUC/ZRH LH F gets you FCL/FCT access. I dont know the status of LHs F refurbs though, so the hard product is probably better on the UA 763. If you check the M&M board they probably have more information on that bird.

Could probably go either way really.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by IAHRyan
Ex-FRA/MUC/ZRH LH F gets you FCL/FCT access. I dont know the status of LHs F refurbs though, so the hard product is probably better on the UA 763. If you check the M&M board they probably have more information on that bird.

Could probably go either way really.
Although most people would prefer the UA 767 F hard product, I don't like how angled the seats are on the 767 and also, on my last int'l flight, the 767 F seats already looked very worn, whereas LH takes much, much better care of its planes and the F soft product is light years ahead of UA's.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fly747first
Although most people would prefer the UA 767 F hard product, I don't like how angled the seats are on the 767 and also, on my last int'l flight, the 767 F seats already looked very worn, whereas LH takes much, much better care of its planes and the F soft product is light years ahead of UA's.
You know both the C and the F seats on the UA 767 are perfectly flat, right?

Or maybe you're talking about how they're rotated at a slight angle in the cabin, not really sure...

FWIW in my LH F flight last week I had to manually force the seat back down to go flat, it was pretty beat up.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
When was the last time you flew in a UA 763 with the new F seats? There is no angle in these seats at all since the conversions to the new F, and the conversions have all been done in the past few years, so seats presumably are still in excellent shape (not speaking from personal experience).

On the other hand, the FCT in FRA is great if you have enough time to enjoy it.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I would base your decision on lounge access. If you'll have time for the lounge, go with Lufty, if not--I actually prefer the food and seat on UA instead. IFE is a toss-up and service is consistently inconsient on UA.

Read about my recent trip in United First on a 763 from IAD-FRA here.

And my Lufthansa A340 flight from Frankfurt to Denver here.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 5:39 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You know both the C and the F seats on the UA 767 are perfectly flat, right?

Or maybe you're talking about how they're rotated at a slight angle in the cabin, not really sure...

FWIW in my LH F flight last week I had to manually force the seat back down to go flat, it was pretty beat up.
He was talking about the rotation I'm sure.

To the OP, I'd say LH, better lounge, and food.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not even close. Seats are comparable but LH is far more likely to be a pleasant experience, both in the air and on the ground.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by rjque
Not even close. Seats are comparable but LH is far more likely to be a pleasant experience, both in the air and on the ground.
While LH F wines and food pales in comparison with LX F it is, in turn, better than UA. And if you have the time to enjoy the lounge in MUC or FRA there is no reason to go with UA.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
763 F suite is great. Almost as good as CO BF!
Seriously? I don't care how much of a ra-ra CO fan anybody is (and we all know there's plenty drinking the COol-aid), there's no disputing that the UA F Suite is better than the CO BF seat. It's possible to argue the food and service, but not the seat/suite.

If the OP is absolutely, positively concerned about the hard product and sleeping, then UA is the obvious choice.

The old LH F seat, even with the new mattress pad they introduced in May 2011, is still not nearly as comfortable as the UA F suite.

Food and wine will be better on LH and, as others have said, using the FCL/FCT upon arrival at FRA is a nice treat.

If I had to fly EWR-ZRH and be chipper for work on the day of arrival, I'd no doubt would want to take UA so I could get as much rest as possible. UA also keeps cabins cooler than LH, and for me that's huge!
Old Jul 10, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH Oil & Energy Club
I just flew JFK-FRA-MUC and return in C with JFK-FRA in F, I'd have to say I'd take United with the new seats over Lufthansa any day!
Old Jul 10, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
LH all the way! Flew in UA C and LH C from MUC to ORD, and yes, the hardware is neck to neck, but the extra friendliness of LH FA made the world of difference!

I remembered when flying UA, I got and stretched my legs, and just when I was approaching the 1st class curtain, ready to turn around and stroll back to the end of Eco class, the female FA stared at me and almost yelled at me (it was nappy time) with a murdurous tone "YOU CAN'T GO THERE!" "Yeah well, I am merely walking within C class stretching my legs, and if you have problems with that, you should quit your job, obviously inter-personal skills aren't something you know"

And I strolled back. What a schmuck!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 10, 2011 at 8:04 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Jul 10, 2011, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyhen
LH all the way! Flew in UA C and LH C from MUC to ORD, and yes, the hardware is neck to neck, but the extra friendliness of LH FA made the world of difference!
True that LH more consistently has a friendlier crew, but again, if the OP is looking to sleep, he won't be interacting with the crew much so it's kind of a moot point. Seat/bed comfort would be a priority.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.