Community
Wiki Posts
Search

no more snacks in Y of UA/CO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Can't we do without a bag of peanuts or a biscoff in Y? I'd prefer they spend the money on something worthwhile.
Speak for yourself. Personally, I enjoy something to munch on with my (as yet free) drink during a 2+ hour flight.

Changes like this, however petty, are not how you morph into supposedly
"the world's leading airline". Sorry, but I have to smirk every time I hear that phrase tied to UA/CO, especially when it is uttered over and over by Mr. Smisek. It is also sir, however minor, yet another "change we do not like".

The way you become a "leading" airline during a merger is to improve the customer's overall service experience by, as a minimum, keeping the better hard (E+) or soft (CO food) feature from whichever airline offers it. You don't "improve" by stooping down and locking into the lower level.

Last edited by ColoBill1; Mar 4, 2011 at 11:10 am Reason: Minor editing.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
The diverse opinions just illustrate that un-bundling is good. If half the people here don't care about a 25 cent bag of pretzels, then why should UA spend that money on them. My opinion is they should charge for softdrinks and just offer water for free in Y.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:27 pm

I could give a rip about pretzels. When I flew CO in December and got little baggies of pretzels, it was a nice touch but I was already full from the Rondele and Fritos I ate in the PC.

It is also laughable that people think that Smisek is anti-customer enough to charge for soft drinks. I am not a COol-aid drinker, but I think that the annoucement to keep E+ says a lot about where the new UA is heading. I also think an an annoucement re F staying on TPAC and some TATL routes is not too far off, either.

BTW, Anyone remember how charging for soft drinks went over at US Scareways? They aren't charging anymore....
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
The problem is the appearance. Between increased fares, charges for all kinds of services, routes cut to the bone or shifted to UX crap flights, what has United done that is a positive note? Pretzels are merely a symptom of an industry that has lost sight of service as a feature. Even the announcement on the network news was mocking of the airlines, as they ridiculed the press release as "trying to make it sound like a good thing". That's how desperate it is. They do so little positive for the customers they have to spin the bad news the best they can. And no one is falling for it.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 2:22 pm
Suspended

The money to be wasted on re-painting planes into a dated livery and for $mi$ek's bonus checks has to come from somewhere. Another change he think you'll like.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum; Southwest A-list; BW Diamond; Hilton Gold; CO Silver; Hertz President's circle
I could give a rip about pretzels. When I flew CO in December and got little baggies of pretzels, it was a nice touch but I was already full from the Rondele and Fritos I ate in the PC.

Ah, the unbridled luxury and indulgence of the President's club! I take it you didn't fancy the sevruga caviar or freshly shucked oysters? ;-)

It is also laughable that people think that Smisek is anti-customer enough to charge for soft drinks. I am not a COol-aid drinker, but I think that the annoucement to keep E+ says a lot about where the new UA is heading. I also think an an annoucement re F staying on TPAC and some TATL routes is not too far off, either.

If Smisek could look into a crystal ball and guarantee that he could generate ancillary revenue without damaging UA's image too much/hurting long term growth and revenue, he'd do it in a heartbeat- no question. The only thinkg keeping soft drinks free is the concern about the terrible publicity that charging would bring. Nothing lasts forever, as I suspect non-elite WN passengers are about to learn if gas prices stay at current levels for much longer.

BTW, Anyone remember how charging for soft drinks went over at US Scareways? They aren't charging anymore....

Egg-sackerlee. They didn't stop charging because they realised it was too 'customer unfriendly, they stopped charging because it hurt their business.

It won't be this year, it probably won't be in 3 years, but it will come- the market, serving passengers who have been shown time and time again to care only about price, will force it to come.

Cheers,

Paul.

"the world's leading airline". Sorry, but I have to smirk every time I hear that phrase tied to UA/CO, especially when it is uttered over and over by Mr. Smisek.

That's OK- he always has to smirk when he says it too!

Paul. (Surely not alone in finding Mr. Smisek's grimace-like forced smile to be insincere to the point of uncomfortable to watch!)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 4, 2011 at 7:25 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 4, 2011, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Between increased fares, charges for all kinds of services, routes cut to the bone or shifted to UX crap flights, what has United done that is a positive note?
We're still waiting on benefit enhancement #1 to the merger (for UA flyers at least).

No, keeping E+ doesn't count, that's an existing product. I guess if you fly 175K+ annually, you'll earn more RUs...that's about it.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Aegean Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CALimey
That was then and this is now. I don't know when, but sure as night follows day, US airlines will start charging for all potential ancillary revenue items at some point.

Look at Ireland's Ryanair- an airline that started at the bottom and has since made it its mission to find new and innovative ways of going lower- including charging passengers a fee if they dare to check in at the airport and even considering charging to use the restroom!

A terrible experience like this must mean that everyone flies BA or Aer Lingus, right?

Nope- by squeezing out every last penny of ancillary revenue, Ryanair have the cheapest seats around, which is all most people care about

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but this'll come here too- and as we've seen in every other regard, once one airline gets away with it, the others are guaranteed to follow suit.

Paul.
And if you want to understand what the world might look like if this happens, take a read through this page:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...irline-charges

As FF's however, you may conclude that it would be great for mileage runs.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by as219
The positive thing I've noticed over the past year is that BoB Y chow has gotten a lot better. Ms. as219 and I had the "tapas" box a while back on a p.s. flight. Was kind of peeved they insisted on charging us for it -- we were in C and, in the past, had never been asked to pay for BoB -- but I was very pleased at the selection, quality and quantity of the food. Was definitely worth the $$$ -- and how often can you say that about BoB food? I'm a fan of the Thai chicken wrap too.

I for one applaud getting rid of cheap, low quality snacks in return for decent BoB options. ^
I generally think the same. The free domestic food & snacks were never that great, to but it nicely. I think the BoB selections are overall pretty good and assuming the pricing stays reasonable I prefer that to crummy free food. (Though I'd be miffed at having to buy food while in C) Bought a wrap and something else, forget what, on a TPA-IAD run last month and was quite happy with it.

I even like some of the snack boxes. SOmeone upthread mentioned the Tapas box. Mrs 84fiero is a fan of that one and I finally tried it recently and liked it.

Now if snack boxes could come to the longer UAX flights, especially E170s, I'd really like that change.

I do understand though, that when little tidbits start to go away, you wonder - where will it end? It's easy to say "Oh it's just pretzels", then "Oh it's just pillows", next comes charges for sodas, before you know what's happened, you're paying to print boarding passes, paying for carryon bags, etc. Hopefully that won't end up being the case.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I generally think the same. The free domestic food & snacks were never that great, to but it nicely. I think the BoB selections are overall pretty good and assuming the pricing stays reasonable I prefer that to crummy free food. (Though I'd be miffed at having to buy food while in C) Bought a wrap and something else, forget what, on a TPA-IAD run last month and was quite happy with it.

I even like some of the snack boxes. SOmeone upthread mentioned the Tapas box. Mrs 84fiero is a fan of that one and I finally tried it recently and liked it.

Now if snack boxes could come to the longer UAX flights, especially E170s, I'd really like that change.
UX flights in F usually give you default breakfast snack box with mostly crackers and cheese. It would be better if they stock default Tapas snack box.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The free biscoff was the only thing keeping me sane on the IAH-RDU ER4 flight.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: Amex Platinum; Southwest A-list; BW Diamond; Hilton Gold; CO Silver; Hertz President's circle
Originally Posted by rjacket
And if you want to understand what the world might look like if this happens, take a read through this page:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...irline-charges

As FF's however, you may conclude that it would be great for mileage runs.
Unfortunately, the general American public who travel infrequently on their own dime would look at this page and think "Wow! Imagine if I could snag a $5 fare from EWR-ORD!!"

Proof of this can be found on the handy chart on the Ryanair website:

http://www.ryanair.com/en/about

Every time they introduce yet another passenger unfriendly policy (some of which are literally unimaginable in the US in 2011), their growth continues to accelerate exponentially.

People like the lowest possible fare (in FRs case, an AVERAGE, system wide fare of <$50!!)

Glimpse the future!

Cheers,

Paul.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by CALimey
Unfortunately, the general American public who travel infrequently on their own dime would look at this page and think "Wow! Imagine if I could snag a $5 fare from EWR-ORD!!"

Proof of this can be found on the handy chart on the Ryanair website:

http://www.ryanair.com/en/about

Every time they introduce yet another passenger unfriendly policy (some of which are literally unimaginable in the US in 2011), their growth continues to accelerate exponentially.

People like the lowest possible fare (in FRs case, an AVERAGE, system wide fare of <$50!!)

Glimpse the future!

Cheers,

Paul.
I despise RyanAir, but they're really a niche airline. People like my Eastern European relatives who make a pittance compared to Western standards will work the FR system to the max. They will find a 5 Euro fare and keep it that way. Previously they had to take 24 hour bus rides to Germany so for them FR is a godsend. For me as a business traveller, forget it.

I am hopeful that the legacies can hold off completely RyanAirifying, at least until I can retire. They definitely have time on their side. They can keep incrementally heading in that direction and over a long enough period of time people will accept it as the norm.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 2P
On the flight back to the states from GVA last month, they were offering only water or wine as the only choices with dinner. No soft drinks. Was that unusual or the new standard?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by travel.flier
The diverse opinions just illustrate that un-bundling is good. If half the people here don't care about a 25 cent bag of pretzels, then why should UA spend that money on them.

I disagree. If the other half do care about it enough to shift business elsewhere, then it may make sense to spend money on them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.