Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

So long 1k. It was nice while it lasted. Official goodbye to elite status thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So long 1k. It was nice while it lasted. Official goodbye to elite status thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
I will miss:
  • Free Standby (used it more than a few times)
  • 100% UDU record for 2010! (I am sure 1K's start trumping this lowly minion of a 1P. Back to the exit row it is for me)
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Pres? Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have always thought elite benefits are only valuable when one is flying. If anyone is not traveling as much in 2011, 1K status is worthless sitting on the ground.

I have dealt losing 1K with ease (after 7 years) a few years ago....I stopped flying to start a family...that was priceless!
I thought you flew like 350k miles last year?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AUSshouldbeahub
I thought you flew like 350k miles last year?
Think you are consuing ua1flyer and ua_flyer
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Pres? Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Think you are consuing ua1flyer and ua_flyer
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-rankings.html

1 ua1flyer - GS 1,205,503
2 ande777emt 584,097
3 harry5198-GS 443,878
4 Shigemafy 441,882
5 UA_Flyer - GS 351,121
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA MP 1MM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Globalist
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
I will miss:
  • Free Standby (used it more than a few times)
  • 100% UDU record for 2010! (I am sure 1K's start trumping this lowly minion of a 1P. Back to the exit row it is for me)
Will also miss UDU. While not quite 100% UDU still had a pretty good record that I'm sure was due to 1K status. This weekend from IAD-SFO r/t got upgraded in both directions. Each flight had more than 20 people on the upgrade list while I had confirmed seat. So I'm sure I'll be in E+ until I meet my 1K Challenge!!!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA DL UA SU
I will be bidding adieu to 1k.

Its funny that I flew ZERO miles on UA in 2010 and got a 1K offer of $499/25k in the mail.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I bid adieu today as well. It was a good run, and I think I took advantage of all perqs other than a hotel during weather delays (I didn't have any overnight delays). I land at 1P, where I have been for the recent past, having both paid more and flown more in 2010 than I did in earning 1K in 2009.

I will miss:
1. SWUs (my highlight was clearing MEL-LAX-LHR with one SWU)
2. Pretty darn good rate of UDU
3. Great 1K phone service
4. Healthy 1K CS compensation
5. NY/Free award changes

Alas, I never actually received a card, so I don't have anything to frame!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I've been 1K since 1997. Even made GS once year. Losing it this year, and now i'd be only a GM, except that MM status gets me *G for life (at least I sure hope they keep this perk). Best part of *G is the LH lounge at DTW.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
I'm a gonner as well. Soft landed to 2P, which I very much appreciate...would have been a GM otherwise.

Since I don't travel much anymore, I can't say there's a ton I'll miss. However, still trying to burn a lot of miles on international leisure trips and the ability to make changes on award trips without paying a fee is definitely something I'll miss.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
My one-year stint as a 1K also is coming to a close. I actually flew more in 2010 than in 2009, but United's decision to no longer count Great Lakes segments as EQS made it impossible to get 100 qualifying segments.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Taking care of an award today to avoid the phone fee. Then it's goodbye... at least until September or so If I got the 499 challenge I'd go for that, but I'll just qualify the hard way.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: Velocity Platinum, UA MM
Farewell 1K

Received in the mail yesterday my gold coloured card so back to travelling as a premier exec for this year. At least card indicates I'm a 1MM flyer

I've got a TRANSPAC flight from SYD-LAS coming up in May which I booked last June and I managed to upgrade from Y -> C with a couple of SWUs and I'm sponsoring my daughter on a SFO-SYD flt in May with upgrade to C with one other SWU.

I ended up forfeiting 2 SWU's that expired in Jan. At least as a 1MM flyer I now have permanent *A Gold status and that will be useful for my travel to non-USA ports with SQ and other *A airlines. I also ended up with 6 Regional Upgrades expiring over the next 12 months but as a non-Resident of the USA, they are as a good as useless to me

Got another TRANSPAC flt in August from SYD-JFK and for this I purchased a Z class fare so at least I won't have to be put through the hoops and jumps hoping to have an SWU upgrade to C confirmed until the very last moment.

Not sure if I will make 1K this year, depends on how many SYD -> Asia flights I end up doing.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Goodbye all you old 1Ks... will miss chatting with you up front

Seriously though.. this day will come for me one day... just not this year.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Talking

Oh boy

Mass drop out in 1K rank.

I got the impression that starting tomorrow, there will be a lot less competition in UDU.

I have two BOS-SFO trips booked next month, hoping for UDU to F.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have always thought elite benefits are only valuable when one is flying. If anyone is not traveling as much in 2011, 1K status is worthless sitting on the ground.

I have dealt losing 1K with ease (after 7 years) a few years ago....I stopped flying to start a family...that was priceless!
Be careful what you wish for... or already have! That family might decide they want status too. Brings new meaning to the cost of a mileage run. Trust me on that one!

Originally Posted by Antipode
Taking care of an award today to avoid the phone fee. Then it's goodbye... at least until September or so If I got the 499 challenge I'd go for that, but I'll just qualify the hard way.
I'm assumng that an award flight ticketed today falls under non-1K rules down the road if it's cancelled or changed. If not, time for me to get on the phone!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 31, 2011 at 2:50 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.