Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

So long 1k. It was nice while it lasted. Official goodbye to elite status thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So long 1k. It was nice while it lasted. Official goodbye to elite status thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

I've been flying UA since 1988. I've been PremEx since 2001.
Last year I finally made 1k. Today is my last day as a 1k.

I'll miss:

- CR1's
- SWU's
- boarding early
- a shiny 2012 1k card
- domestic call centers
- bragging rights on this board
- larger payouts due to IRROPS
- additional award availability
- special telephone number to 1k desk
- ability to fly earlier without paying a fee
- free changes to award tickets
- ability to cancel an award and have miles redeposited

Who else will join me in bidding adieu to 1k?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:00 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
I've been a 1K for the last nine years, but no more. I will miss it, but life goes on.

I burned my last SWU on the 30th, NRT-SEA-ORD-RDU.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Same here. Been enjoying 1K since Sept. 2008. Luckily I still have some CR1's to use throughout 2011. My current travel plans for 2011 have me at 70k so hopefully with a few more trips and some creative routings I can fight my way back to 1K.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: VX Elevate, UA 2P, SPG Gold
Will be back to 2P on Feb 1 after two years as 1K.

I'm definitely sad to lose the benefits but I just am not flying as much anymore. I'm very grateful to have gotten a soft landing (flew 13K EQM).
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I haven't been 1K for quite awhile. But I waited until I was MM until I retired But you know what? The sun rises, the sun sets. When I fly UA, I still have a better experience than 98% of the masses. It is becoming a distant memory, yet forever emblazoned in my FT handle. But I was 1K for enough years that I'm entitled to keep it :-:
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:16 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Put up countdown timer on my web blog

Got to it before me! I put up a post on our website along with a countdown timer here.

I managed to secure 1P status though, without any special considerations from UA. It wasn't easy; I flew less this year than last, and no DEQM. But I'm feeling liberated, not having to worry about paying for higher fare classes to have a chance at an upgrade that won't likely come through.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I managed to secure 1P status though, without any special considerations from UA. It wasn't easy
The EgyptAir miles came through?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dhammer53
- domestic call centers
FWIW, you'll still get domestic call center access. When I was a 1P, I was always routed to ORD, HNL, or DTW.. I have been sent to the ICC as a 1K.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I've been flying UA since 1988. I've been PremEx since 2001.
Last year I finally made 1k. Today is my last day as a 1k.

I'll miss:

- CR1's
- SWU's
- boarding early
- a shiny 2012 1k card
- domestic call centers
- bragging rights on this board
- larger payouts due to IRROPS
- additional award availability
- special telephone number to 1k desk
- ability to fly earlier without paying a fee
- free changes to award tickets
- ability to cancel an award and have miles redeposited

Who else will join me in bidding adieu to 1k?
Normal Standby has always been free on UA... Is this no longer the case?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:06 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
The EgyptAir miles came through?
Nope! I could have sent in more info and forced it, but I called the 1K line and was told no problem, they'd given me 1P despite being 177 miles short. Almost felt like getting those 370 miles anyway, just because, but realistically I have better things to do with my time.
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Normal Standby has always been free on UA... Is this no longer the case?
Changed last year. Only 1K & GS get standby fees waived. Major issue for many. Sadly, I only took advantage of it once this past year, while in prior years, when I wasn't a 1K and it was free for any elite, I used it often. Go figure.
Originally Posted by Noel Vice

I am sad. I loved my shiny card.
I'm going to literally frame mine. Yes, I know that's silly. I just wish I'd scored one of those personally-written thank-you notes at the gates in December.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Jan 31, 2011 at 12:03 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Same here. Last year was my first year as 1K, and I was not only able to use my SWUs to get Business on LAX-IAD-FCO and return this past week I used paper SWUs to help a friend upgrade on Lufthansa.

90% of my domestic travel I won't miss the upgrades (LOTS of LAX-SFO), hopefully the customer service at lower levels is good again but I felt like as a 1k they really took care of you.

Anyway yeah upgrades are nice though for the long flights. Guess I need to go back to the miles for that (oh and the mileage bonus... stupid 2p... :-/... hopefully I make 1k again next year? probably not likely with the new 120 segment requirement).

Just some of the other things too that require fees at lower levels (specifically stand by... that is going to absolutely KILL me next fall :-/).

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted, maybe one day I'll do it again?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Actually, I don't think I'll miss it that much. Of course it was nice using SWU's for upgrades and thereby saving miles. But still, the waiting-till-the-last-minute for upgrades to clear last year, which I seldom had to do before, kinda spoiled the experience for me. Yes, better last-minute (perhaps helped by status) than not-at-all, but that's how I felt anyway.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, DJ, QF, SQ, SPG.

I am sad. I loved my shiny card.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I'll be bidding 1K farewell next year. Don't think I'll be flying UA this year, so my 14 SWU's will just go to hell. Could fly UA if I wanted, but why should I put money in Smisek's pocket?

That's life on Smisek Airlines.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:06 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

oh so sad. (And still waiting on my 1P card)

I actually got my last 1K benefit today at 4pm, 100hr out UDU cleared for Feb 3. (Yes I planned that) Had it been the 1P 72hr, it would not have cleared as the cabin is now full (granted it is on a CRJ, so who cares)

I am contemplating the challenge (25k/499), but I don't fly UA long haul, just AC metal. So it might not make much sense. I still have time to decide I guess.

I did enjoy calling the 1K desk every 5 min to ask where I stood on the upgrade list. The main benefit I will miss is changing award routings, but maybe I will go into saving mode for a year, and not use miles at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.