Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
I'm having trouble making this work on any route from the US-Europe even when there are I/ XC seats available (assuming I is the correct class). .....
believe the mapping is I=NC (upgrade), O=XC (award C ticket)

... *Assuming there are I seats available on Expertflyer, does that mean that an upsell will necessarily be offered? .....
appears to be a requirement, unsure if it will always be offered
(necessary but unsure if sufficient - in logic terms)

...*Do I check off the upgrade MH option? .....
no and best not to use that option for any reason -- it is a leftover of the old requirement of needing at least M/H fare to upgrades with miles

...**At what point in the purchase process does the offer appear? Together with other options? After you pull the trigger to purchase?.....
just before the final purchase step, after seat selection
Just after the Award Accelerator page
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: United
LAX - NRT upsell on ticketing

2/17 $1,558 round trip Economy to Biz and also $1,558 Biz to First (separate tickets)
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by westerndh
2/17 $1,558 round trip Economy to Biz and also $1,558 Biz to First (separate tickets)
what would this cost with miles -- 50K miles plus $1000 in copay? terrible.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by kpbanana
Does anybody know how this stuff works? For example, do they only offer these if there aren't enough people wanting to upgrade into C? I always seem to get an upsell offer going from SFO-PVG, but one would think the sheer volume of 1K's and 1P's on that flight would snap up all available C-class upgrade inventory (SWU's / RDM's).. just asking out of curiosity. Sorry if this has been asked before!
Actually the opposite. UA collects no incremental [cash] revenue on SWU or CR1 upgrades so the purpose of the upsell is to squeeze a few more $ out of those unsold seats. Of course they'll never admit this but they'd much rather sell a premium seat to a non-elite.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Thanks for the info... I've tried on a few days from IAD to various cities in Europe with more than 6 seats in XC but no dice.

Wonder if this works better within the US?...

Can't seem to get this to replicate.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just offered $75 at purchase, for F on DEN-MCI.. Declined.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Offered IAD - ATL upsell on a UX flight for $75.

Declined as:
(1) used to be able to do this with a single e500 (which if purchased were $50 each), even though it's 533 miles
(2) cabin is wide open so will just gamble on UDU
(3) usually only a 2-drink flight so not worth it
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Offered at booking on UAL.com DEN-PDX and PDX-DEN for $200 each.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:46 pm
smn

If offered an UG at purchase for a flight that is weeks out, does it get booked as an UG or as booking in F? From the price offered, doesn't look like a ton of savings
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by smn
If offered an UG at purchase for a flight that is weeks out, does it get booked as an UG or as booking in F? From the price offered, doesn't look like a ton of savings
Online T's & C's say it is not eligible for class of service bonuses etc. You credit with whatever your original booking was, but fly in C/F. Essentially, you are buying NC/NF.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Jgish
Online T's & C's say it is not eligible for class of service bonuses etc.
Though I'm pretty sure several people have reported getting the CoS bonus.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Offered at booking on ual.com this week:
$150 each way from Q to A on ORD-LGA
(offer taken)
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
$300 ORD-SEA K-NC
$689 SEA-NRT K-NC

Declined as if I really want C, would have paid $300 more to book in W and asked a friend for SWU instead.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 4:22 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Jgish
Online T's & C's say it is not eligible for class of service bonuses etc. You credit with whatever your original booking was, but fly in C/F. Essentially, you are buying NC/NF.
When accepting an upsell offer at ticket purchase, I have received the COS bonus commensurate with the upgraded ticket class, i.e. Y->Z yields 150% EQM, no RDM bonus; Y->A yields 150% RDM & EQM.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Dog Woof Million Mile Member
SWU?

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
So I bought a Z (or whatever they call it on BMI) using the British Midland codeshare number for the UA nonstop SFO-LHR because the RT fare was $1k less than buying Z directly from United.

Will I even be offered UFC at check-in if it's available? If I'm willing to do it, do I ask? Apparently there is no chance of being able to upgrade before check-in time.
Do you have any SWU's? If you do, you can use one. Some agents will try to tell you that you can only do this on UA or LH. But the rule is you can use an SWU on United Metal, even if a codeshare flight, although you can only be confirmed on the day of departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.