Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
No special meal on board a LAX-HNL flight; received a skykit; plugged in numbers and choices were $100 e-cert, 4,500 miles or 10% off voucher. This is the lowest I have received on 2500 miles + (mid) trans pacific flight as a 1K.
And that appears to be the norm as I was offered the same for the same reason on a BOS-SFO flight in June
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
No special meal on board a LAX-HNL flight; received a skykit; plugged in numbers and choices were $100 e-cert, 4,500 miles or 10% off voucher. This is the lowest I have received on 2500 miles + (mid) trans pacific flight as a 1K.
I think a $100 voucher is rather generous for lack of a "special meal".
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Doug 1029
I think a $100 voucher is rather generous for lack of a "special meal".
I agree, expecially as this was a domestic flight.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Missed my connection from UA to CO at ORD on an XF award. Downgraded to Y on a jungle jet.

10,000 miles / $250 Region 1 e-cert / 20% Systemwide Economy e-cert

I took the $250 e-cert. ^
+1 ^

What happen to all those other postings about degrading compensation? I think $250 ecert is pretty good for this.

Pretty depressing for this kind of compensation!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by lax2010
+1 ^

What happen to all those other postings about degrading compensation? I think $250 ecert is pretty good for this.
I agree. There seems to be a lot of FT folks that want to game the system.

Post #757 is correct, I am also a gamer but I don't complain about the compensation.

Last edited by Doug 1029; Jul 25, 2011 at 8:26 pm
Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by Doug 1029
I agree. There seems to be a lot of FT folks that want to game the system.
Ha, I think that's almost redundant. What's the point of spending time on FT if not to be a more informed consumer of your airline? Clearly the UA-voucher system has noticed.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
I think the difference is that it was not handled after the fact by CustomerVoice (and also perhaps that the sin was a downgrade on a non-upgraded F ticket). The e-mail hit my inbox before I even boarded the connecting flight, and it was actually supposed to hit before my first. SFO-ORD was already sufficiently delayed at check-in that I knew I'd miss my connection. The SFO agent who rebooked me said I should expect an e-mail within minutes. Still didn't have it when I landed at ORD, so I called the 1K line and received it shortly thereafter.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
My wife and I were flying LAS-ORD on our way home last week. We were seated in 1st in row 1.

A woman that we saw checking in before us was handicapped, extremely overweight and had medical issues. They did not board here before the rest of the plane so she had to wait until the end. It took the poor woman approximately 10 minutes to get from the door of the plane to the entrance to first. I did not see any way that she could make it back to her seats in row 11. I offered to the pursur that my wife and I would trade the woman and her daughter seats. He graciously accepted.

I don't think I ever received better service on United. We still got our 1st service. We were given first choice on our meals, we were offered any and all snack packs we wanted, we still received the real wine glasses, they checked on us approximately every 15 minutes making sure we were okay and didn't need anything. It was amusing watching those around us wondering why were were receiving such great treatment.

Compensation-wise, the gate agent provide my wife and I both with a $100 voucher, not e-cert.

I am in the process of writing an accolade to the pursur and staff.

Oh, and the daughter did not sit in 1st. Strange.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by 91StealthES
My wife and I were flying LAS-ORD on our way home last week. We were seated in 1st in row 1.

A woman that we saw checking in before us was handicapped, extremely overweight and had medical issues. They did not board here before the rest of the plane so she had to wait until the end. It took the poor woman approximately 10 minutes to get from the door of the plane to the entrance to first. I did not see any way that she could make it back to her seats in row 11. I offered to the pursur that my wife and I would trade the woman and her daughter seats. He graciously accepted.

I don't think I ever received better service on United. We still got our 1st service. We were given first choice on our meals, we were offered any and all snack packs we wanted, we still received the real wine glasses, they checked on us approximately every 15 minutes making sure we were okay and didn't need anything. It was amusing watching those around us wondering why were were receiving such great treatment.

Compensation-wise, the gate agent provide my wife and I both with a $100 voucher, not e-cert.

I was in LAS this weekend and several of the agents told me about this woman the day before and how nice you were to change seats (she said a 1P and his wife) so she could be accommodated. They both said that it did take 10 minutes just to get from the door of the aircraft to her new seat in F, and that it probably would have taken another half-hour to get to her seat in Y. They said that they kept an open seat next to her in Y, but that she *really* need three seats (and that might not have been enough). They also thought that she probably broke the seat in F too, she was that big.

They did tell me that you were afforded all the amenities of F (meal, drinks, etc) for doing this. They were very appreciative of what you did.

They also said that the daughter pretended not to even know her mother.

They were also wondering how the heck she got out to LAS too.

Given the situation, I think the comp was pretty fair.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by 91StealthES

Very nice of you to offer and ^ to the UA staff for making this a win-win situation (except maybe for the seat in F) for everyone
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Please accept my personal apologies for the delay and misconnection when you flew from San Francisco to Chicago.

You were inconvenienced and this runs counter to our team efforts to run a great airline. To assure you of our intentions to improve your next trip with us, I'm depositing 9,000 award miles into your Mileage Plus® account.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I responded to the e mail by asking for a voucher instead. ...not that I expect to hear back from them.
You should expect to hear back from them because you will.
Guess who heard back from United?

First, let me apologize for the delay in response to your original request. Please know that we are working very hard to ensure that all standards regarding this issue are met in the future.

In lieu of the 9,000 goodwill award miles you received on July 21, 2011 I can offer a $200 Electronic Travel Certificate.

I'm pleased. ^
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Guess who heard back from United?

First, let me apologize for the delay in response to your original request. Please know that we are working very hard to ensure that all standards regarding this issue are met in the future.

In lieu of the 9,000 goodwill award miles you received on July 21, 2011 I can offer a $200 Electronic Travel Certificate.

I'm pleased. ^
I am glad that you finally get what you wanted! ^
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:16 pm
ccf

Programs: AA, UA, DL
Flight Canceled

After printing up our boarding passes for the next morning's flights (BOS-SFO-ONT), UA notified me the BOS-SFO flight was cancelled. Yikes! We had an important appointment planned 2 hours after our scheduled arrival. We either were going to miss the appointment or leave much earlier than planned. Thus, we left ASAP the day before our original departure, going BOS-HOU-ONT on Continental. We were glad they could accomodate us, but I was out a day of work and had to pay for an extra night's lodging etc. Since they haven't offered anything, I've emailed UA. What, if anything should a mere mortal expect for compensation?

Last edited by ccf; Jul 28, 2011 at 5:20 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I was in LAS this weekend and several of the agents told me about this woman the day before and how nice you were to change seats (she said a 1P and his wife) so she could be accommodated. They both said that it did take 10 minutes just to get from the door of the aircraft to her new seat in F, and that it probably would have taken another half-hour to get to her seat in Y. They said that they kept an open seat next to her in Y, but that she *really* need three seats (and that might not have been enough). They also thought that she probably broke the seat in F too, she was that big.

They did tell me that you were afforded all the amenities of F (meal, drinks, etc) for doing this. They were very appreciative of what you did.

They also said that the daughter pretended not to even know her mother.

They were also wondering how the heck she got out to LAS too.

Given the situation, I think the comp was pretty fair.
Wow...I guess we made quite an impression. I am surprised they were still talking about it. You are correct, the daughter didn't really spend any time at all with her mother. She did purchase her mother an upgrade to E+ though.

I agree, the compensation was very fair. I did not expect anything out of it. I was just being polite and compassionate.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:47 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
After a 22 hour journey LAS DEN IDA in May UA sent me a 20% systemwide voucher -strangely no offer of $ amount voucher or miles instead. Once I'd number crunched for my upcoming trip (transatlantic open jaw with a multi-stop domestic journey with in US & Canada) I realized that if UA had offered me $200 voucher instead I'd be better off so emailed and the same day (after they had confirmed I realized a $ voucher would only be valid for domestic) they cancelled the 20% voucher and replaced it with a $300 voucher. Using it for YVR ORD EWR . Residual fare to pay $31 ++.
As an FYI the voucher said it had to be used in conjunction with a US issued credit card but the system accepted my UK issued Visa without issue -but the voucher only worked on www.united.com and not www.unitedairlines.co.uk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.