Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
Got an unsolicited customer appreciation e-mail yesterday -- and the message didn't say why beyond boilerplate copy regretting "the inconvenience you experienced." I assume it's for UA3932 IAD-ORF on July 4, which was delayed almost three hours because of crew/operations. We were scheduled to get into Norfolk at 11:20 p.m. but actually arrived at 2:05 a.m. The cockpit crew announced that another aircraft had gone MX and "ours" had been borrowed to take its place. The flight was operated by Colgan Air.

The offer was for a $200 e-cert or 20 percent off. Took the cert. I've been on many delayed flights, but this is the first unsolicited compensation offer I've received.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
If they are, it's a very recent change. I got a $250 e-cert for writing a complimentary email to 1Kvoice (but also briefly mentioning some issues, in the context of "I've had a few bad experiences this year, but this crew was great").

This was in late May, I think.
Nice. I got lint all over myself on IAD-PEK recently from the new gauze blanket in Y while wearing a white shirt and complained pretty loudly about it - I got a "We're sorry - please fill out the survey below for a chance to win a $400 voucher".
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
$150 voucher - seat changed w/o my permission from E+ bulkhead to exit row.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by lax2010
That is kind of low for 1K! Care to share the cause and flying distance for such a low compensations? When was the time frame? Thanks.
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
International or domestic?

First was for GRU-ORD. Had good seats in E+, and was then changed to the last row. FA handed out the skykit.

Second was ORD-PWM. Departed almost four hours late, so FA (ASA) handed out skykits to all pax during the drink service.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
$150 voucher - seat changed w/o my permission from E+ bulkhead to exit row.
hahahaha awesome
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: CO Gold (RIP UA), AA PLT (2MM), MR PLT
LIH-SFO

Another nightmare return flight, 5 hours late due to Mechanical. 15K or $350ECert or 20% off.

Are ECERTS combinable on a single fare ticket / reservatation?

So far I have earned $850 this week if I take the $350 Certificate offer.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:30 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by jk5598224
[B]Are ECERTS combinable on a single fare ticket / reservatation?
No. It says that on the TCs.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
First was for GRU-ORD. Had good seats in E+, and was then changed to the last row. FA handed out the skykit.

Second was ORD-PWM. Departed almost four hours late, so FA (ASA) handed out skykits to all pax during the drink service.
Wow! That is indeed kind of low for the 1K.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Customer Appreciation: $150 vs. 7000 miles vs. 10%

Just got one of these for shenanigans on an award ticket and need to make a choice, am interested in communal thoughts.

The 10% off doesn't make much sense: I'm not likely going to be flying a united flight that costs over 1400 in the next year.

The past two times i've gotten this offer, i've chosen the $250 over the 10,000 miles. Used both certificates for expensive last-minute tickets, and got a bunch of miles from both. Need to protect my 1P this year, which is another good reason to take the dollars. Plus, it's tradeable on CC (I think).

Am tempted to choose the miles here, as I would use them towards 12.5k redemption on US airways later this summer.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
It all depends on your flying patterns... As you started to work out:

1. If planning to buy an expensive ticket, take %.
2. If planning to buy moderately priced tickets, take $.
3. If planning on focusing on upgrades, or planning on purchasing tickets less expensive than the $, take miles.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 10:34 pm

Also look at the restrictions. Often the dollar off appreciation certificates can only be used on flights in the US where the percent off certificates can be used on all flights including international flights.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:28 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by eclipse_boi
Also look at the restrictions. Often the dollar off appreciation certificates can only be used on flights in the US where the percent off certificates can be used on all flights including international flights.
Not always though - read the restrictions carefully.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Really a personal preference on what works for you.

If you're sitting on hundreds of thousands of miles, miles may not make sense. If you're a few thousand short of the award you want, they may make perfect sense.

If you don't fly domestically, a domestic e-cert has limited value. If you fly domestically, it may highly valuable.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:43 am

PVG-SFO

They overbooked the plane since the flight the day before was cancelled. They needed one volunteer. I got booked a direct flight PVG-LAX (a flight 5 hours later) which is my final destination and $400 cash @ LAX terminal. This was my first bump so I just took what I got but after reading some forums it looks like these things are negotiable.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by gimmeyourmiles
PVG-SFO

They overbooked the plane since the flight the day before was cancelled. They needed one volunteer. I got booked a direct flight PVG-LAX (a flight 5 hours later) which is my final destination and $400 cash @ LAX terminal. This was my first bump so I just took what I got but after reading some forums it looks like these things are negotiable.
Are you saying that you received real "cash" at your destination "@ LAX"? How, the arrival gate agent just handed that to you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.