Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Transiting from UA 840 [SYD-LAX] to domestic flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt, SPG, AMEX PLT, UA 1K

happy new year all!

i will be landing from Sydney on sunday morning and catching a domestic flight to new york shortly thereafter. i am aware that united international arrivals clear immigration in T6 and the majority of the domestic flights are out of T7 ... my question of course:

can i transit without having to leave T6 and re-clear security in T7?

many thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
You have to be rescreened after immigration (since you had luggage access, etc), but you can move airside between T6, T7, and T8.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Take a look at this thread (it's not too long). It should answer your question and any others you may have:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tic-vv-ua.html
Old Dec 31, 2010, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tic-vv-ua.html

You'll have to collect any checked luggage, clear U.S. Immigration and Customs, redeposit the luggage onto the transit belt, and then make your way upstairs and then re-clear security.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Maybe I'm dumb

... but I seem to screw up UA international arrivals at T6/T7 transfer to UA domestic every time. Just as you pass customs but before you leave the secure area the signage says "Door A" for street level & arrivals, "Door C" for connecting flights (or maybe the reverse). I manage to end up on the street with a long walk and a big u-turn needed to get back to escalators up to T7 security screening. What's the right way to do this?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Exit the doors from customs, straight up the escalators, renovations are now complete for that part, no need to go out to the curb.

I did this transfer last Wednesday.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by djmp
... but I seem to screw up UA international arrivals at T6/T7 transfer to UA domestic every time. Just as you pass customs but before you leave the secure area the signage says "Door A" for street level & arrivals, "Door C" for connecting flights (or maybe the reverse). I manage to end up on the street with a long walk and a big u-turn needed to get back to escalators up to T7 security screening. What's the right way to do this?
For a while, heading to the curb was the only want to handle things. The renovations have made that a lot better.

Originally Posted by Asuka
Exit the doors from customs, straight up the escalators, renovations are now complete for that part, no need to go out to the curb.

That's excellent.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Sheraton Gold
Wish I'd read this before I arrived on the same flight this morning. I ended up on a screened outdoor bridge over the road which was soaking wet from the rain the day before queued up in a long line waiting for two of the slowest TSA processing lines I think I've ever been in. A lady accidentally put her (loaded) cat carrier through the x-ray machine and that caused a big stir and further delay.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Asuka

I guess I must have missed the escalators: outside of the customs exit was the arrivals hall ahead and the street doors along the right. Are they in that area?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Talking

I didnr know you could get a CAT Scan at LAX and a free one at that

Originally Posted by gonezen
Wish I'd read this before I arrived on the same flight this morning. I ended up on a screened outdoor bridge over the road which was soaking wet from the rain the day before queued up in a long line waiting for two of the slowest TSA processing lines I think I've ever been in. A lady accidentally put her (loaded) cat carrier through the x-ray machine and that caused a big stir and further delay.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:09 am

Ouch! But seriously - I keep missing this stupid connection - it's after customs, right?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Ouch! But seriously - I keep missing this stupid connection - it's after customs, right?
Yes

The sequence is passport control, pick up luggage, pass thru customs, usually redeposit your luggage (has to be tagged to final destination), then go thru security again.

Am not an expert at LAX, but happened to do my Global Entry interviews there and noticed that sometimes security lines were terrible at one UA check in area and almost non-existent at another. If you see a bad security line, might be worth walking outside and see if line prospects seem better at another UA check-in area.

It can be really fast, once used GE for return, my priority checked bag was delivered to luggage claim area a moment later - could have been thru in 10 - 15 minutes.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: Platinum
It's the escalators to the left as you exit customs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.