Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Connection time/logistics through LAX international to domestic and vv on UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:17 am
Original Poster

I am Flying From Sydney to LAX in Late Otober on UA 840 arriving at 10:17am and then connecting to domestic Flight UA 378 to Las Vegas Departing at 12:18pm.

The flights are booked on the same ticket number and i believe that united use terminal 7 for both flights. Will this be enough time to get through immigration, collect my luggage, go through customs, drop my bags off and go back through security to catch my next flight ?

Any advice would be appreciated
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:40 am

Programs: UA 2K, Marriott Platinium, Global Entry, Hyatt Diamond
It should be enough time unless you are secondary searched. I would not worry about it too much because even if you miss you flight there are many other flights that day. The baggage drop is right after you exit customs. It really depends on if other flights arrive at the same time.

Here is a old thread that talks about it.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Ok thankyou for the reply.

So United will/should put me on a later flight if I miss the connecting one?

I should also mention I am an Australian Citizen so it will probably take me longer to get through security than returning US citizens.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:13 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Welcome to FT!

Originally Posted by AUSFLY84
Yes.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, but keep in mind that you'll be confirmed only on the next flight with a seat for sale - could be several hours or even days later - and then allowed to standby for all the other flights prior to that one. There are a few flights every afternoon from LAX to LAS so your odds of getting on one are pretty good, but with load factors at record highs these days you might have to wait out a flight or two in the terminal before that happens.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Ok Thanks for the advice.

Hopefully I will make it on time to the connecting flight and not have to worry about later ones.

Do people Generally think 2 hours will be enough time for me to make the connecting flight anyway?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:23 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
AUSFLY84, welcome to FlyerTalk.
As this is a UA-UA connection, I'll move to our United forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz and United.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
It shouldn't be too much of a problem to make the connection. The thing working in your favor is that there aren't a ton of other international arrivals at that time so your wait for immigration shouldn't be too bad. You will, however, completely exit the terminal to the sidewalk then have to go back inside through security. It still shouldn't be much of a problem though.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:33 am

snip snip

I should also mention I am an Australian Citizen so it will probably take me longer to get through security than returning US citizens.
Being an Australian citizen does not matter when you go through security. The TSA does not know your nationality.

What slows you down is immigration. You must use the lines for non U.S. citizens and residents. Those lines sometimes are quite full.
-
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
As others have said, this is plenty of time. United has booked this connection for you, which means it is a legal one. Further, United built the FIS below T6, so any deficiencies in size are their fault as well.

Security shouldn't be any different, even with the abject dimwits at LAX. Immigration could take longer.

Ok Thanks for the advice.

Hopefully I will make it on time to the connecting flight and not have to worry about later ones.

Do people Generally think 2 hours will be enough time for me to make the connecting flight anyway?
2 hours should absolutely be enough time. The T6 FIS is dedicated to United and it is really easy to just pop back up to the departures area. Do you have any status on a Star Alliance carrier? If so, you can use the much shorter security line from the T6 side of United's operation.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Plat 2.2MM, AA nobody, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Done this quite often with a 2 hour onward connection. Shouldn't be a problem. You're more likely to have to wait for bags (you need to pick them up here and drop them off again) than get held up at immigration since you're arriving at United's own customs/immigration facility and not the airport's general one. Actually the main delay is likely to be clearing security to get back into terminal 7.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1P, A|Club G, DL SM, SPG G
Even if you missed your flight, it's only about a 5 hour drive from LAX to LAS if you can rent a car on your Australian driver's license. I don't know what that would do to your return flight, however.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am Flying From Sydney to LAX in Late Otober on UA 840 arriving at 10:17am and then connecting to domestic Flight UA 378 to Las Vegas Departing at 12:18pm.

The flights are booked on the same ticket number and i believe that united use terminal 7 for both flights. Will this be enough time to get through immigration, collect my luggage, go through customs, drop my bags off and go back through security to catch my next flight ?
Wlecome to FT, AUSFLY84!

Your flight should be the first intl arrival at LAX T7, so FIS should not be too crowded, e.g. clogged up from earlier flights. Still, 2 hrs is plenty of time to make this connx.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
UA to TG in LAX

In two weeks I will be arriving in LAX on UA from PHL transferring to TG to BKK. We arrive in the UA terminal and must go to the International terminal for TG. Is there a bus/walkway within security from the UA terminal to the International or will we have to go outside and walk up to the Int'l terminal and go back through security?

Also, how is the TG (Star Alliance) lounge there? Free Wifi? Food?

Thanks
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
There is no walkway airside from T7 (United) to T4 (Bradley). You will have to go back through security at Bradley.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.