FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Transiting from UA 840 [SYD-LAX] to domestic flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1166369-transiting-ua-840-syd-lax-domestic-flight.html)

nickgemline Dec 31, 2010 4:30 pm

Transiting from UA 840 [SYD-LAX] to domestic flight

happy new year all!

i will be landing from Sydney on sunday morning and catching a domestic flight to new york shortly thereafter. i am aware that united international arrivals clear immigration in T6 and the majority of the domestic flights are out of T7 ... my question of course:

can i transit without having to leave T6 and re-clear security in T7?

many thanks.

mduell Dec 31, 2010 4:36 pm

You have to be rescreened after immigration (since you had luggage access, etc), but you can move airside between T6, T7, and T8.

UAPremExecflyer Dec 31, 2010 4:37 pm

Take a look at this thread (it's not too long). It should answer your question and any others you may have:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tic-vv-ua.html

FlyinHawaiian Dec 31, 2010 4:37 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tic-vv-ua.html

You'll have to collect any checked luggage, clear U.S. Immigration and Customs, redeposit the luggage onto the transit belt, and then make your way upstairs and then re-clear security.

djmp Mar 25, 2012 11:16 pm

Maybe I'm dumb

... but I seem to screw up UA international arrivals at T6/T7 transfer to UA domestic every time. Just as you pass customs but before you leave the secure area the signage says "Door A" for street level & arrivals, "Door C" for connecting flights (or maybe the reverse). I manage to end up on the street with a long walk and a big u-turn needed to get back to escalators up to T7 security screening. What's the right way to do this?

Asuka Mar 26, 2012 4:37 pm

Exit the doors from customs, straight up the escalators, renovations are now complete for that part, no need to go out to the curb.

I did this transfer last Wednesday.

N1120A Mar 26, 2012 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by djmp (Post 18273536)
... but I seem to screw up UA international arrivals at T6/T7 transfer to UA domestic every time. Just as you pass customs but before you leave the secure area the signage says "Door A" for street level & arrivals, "Door C" for connecting flights (or maybe the reverse). I manage to end up on the street with a long walk and a big u-turn needed to get back to escalators up to T7 security screening. What's the right way to do this?

For a while, heading to the curb was the only want to handle things. The renovations have made that a lot better.

Originally Posted by Asuka (Post 18278399)
Exit the doors from customs, straight up the escalators, renovations are now complete for that part, no need to go out to the curb.

That's excellent.

gonezen Mar 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by djmp (Post 18273536)

Wish I'd read this before I arrived on the same flight this morning. I ended up on a screened outdoor bridge over the road which was soaking wet from the rain the day before queued up in a long line waiting for two of the slowest TSA processing lines I think I've ever been in. A lady accidentally put her (loaded) cat carrier through the x-ray machine and that caused a big stir and further delay.

djmp Mar 27, 2012 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Asuka (Post 18278399)

I guess I must have missed the escalators: outside of the customs exit was the arrivals hall ahead and the street doors along the right. Are they in that area?

NeoOfTheCRS Mar 27, 2012 10:13 pm

I didnr know you could get a CAT Scan at LAX and a free one at that

Originally Posted by gonezen (Post 18279717)
Wish I'd read this before I arrived on the same flight this morning. I ended up on a screened outdoor bridge over the road which was soaking wet from the rain the day before queued up in a long line waiting for two of the slowest TSA processing lines I think I've ever been in. A lady accidentally put her (loaded) cat carrier through the x-ray machine and that caused a big stir and further delay.

djmp Mar 28, 2012 12:09 am

Ouch! But seriously - I keep missing this stupid connection - it's after customs, right?

bucketlist Mar 29, 2012 8:02 am

Originally Posted by djmp (Post 18287107)
Ouch! But seriously - I keep missing this stupid connection - it's after customs, right?

Yes

The sequence is passport control, pick up luggage, pass thru customs, usually redeposit your luggage (has to be tagged to final destination), then go thru security again.

Am not an expert at LAX, but happened to do my Global Entry interviews there and noticed that sometimes security lines were terrible at one UA check in area and almost non-existent at another. If you see a bad security line, might be worth walking outside and see if line prospects seem better at another UA check-in area.

It can be really fast, once used GE for return, my priority checked bag was delivered to luggage claim area a moment later - could have been thru in 10 - 15 minutes.

frankmu Apr 1, 2012 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by djmp (Post 18287107)

It's the escalators to the left as you exit customs. :)