Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United's "Operation North Pole/Fantasy" Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's "Operation North Pole/Fantasy" Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BIMMERKID2
Why couldn't they actually take off and fly around a while then "return" ?? or something else? like fly them to Rovaniemi, Finland (supposedly where Santa Resides) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rovaniemi
That'd really be going for the real experience http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus_Village
From the article, it sounds like they went speeding down the runway and threw the engines in reverse when they were about to take off...wow, I'm not sure I'd want to be on that "flight" unless the runway was extended by a few hundred feet or so...I find this to be a great gesture by United but I agree, it's odd that they don't actually fly around a little before "landing" in the North Pole...I'm sure some of the kiddos at the window seats were well aware of the fact that they never actually took off
Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
From the article, it sounds like they went speeding down the runway and threw the engines in reverse when they were about to take off...wow, I'm not sure I'd want to be on that "flight" unless the runway was extended by a few hundred feet or so...I find this to be a great gesture by United but I agree, it's odd that they don't actually fly around a little before "landing" in the North Pole...I'm sure some of the kiddos at the window seats were well aware of the fact that they never actually took off
I think the windows shades were shut.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
I think the windows shades were shut.
Are you serious? Well that sucks! When I was a kiddo, I always wanted to sit by the window...that's how you know you're actually flying...and if the shade was shut, I would have pushed it up....sad
Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:41 pm

A flight to the north pole without leaving the ground?

What ever happened to realism? Any kid above the age of 3 will know they didn't go anywhere.

Why not have the undercover Santa hide in F, then don his gear while in flight and come back and see the kids.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:45 pm

You guys are missing the point of this whole thing, which has nothing to do with flying.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
You guys are missing the point of this whole thing, which has nothing to do with flying.
^ ^ ^
Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pr0digy25
A flight to the north pole without leaving the ground?

What ever happened to realism? Any kid above the age of 3 will know they didn't go anywhere.

Why not have the undercover Santa hide in F, then don his gear while in flight and come back and see the kids.
I agree 100%...even as a 5 year old, if someone told me I was going to be taking a "flight", I would expect that I would actually be flying...I am not trying to put a damper on the nice gesture, but I think we're grossly underestimating the intelligence of these kiddos...they are sick, not stupid
Old Dec 14, 2008, 7:03 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
These kids are happy to be alive and thrilled to be on an airplane. Nuff said.

I think this is beginning to fall under "let no good deed go unpunished".
Old Dec 14, 2008, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Do the little folks get miles for this? What is the fare bucket they are booked in and it is upgradable with miles or SWUs ?

If the flight lands/stays at the same airport as it departs does that mean it can be upgraded with 1 500 miler ?

Will there be any catering while onboard?

Would be great if they just took off and flew around a lil'bit.

But the idea itself is nice ^.
Blasphemy!

Saying that here equals telling the kids before the flight that Santa is a scam !
Old Dec 14, 2008, 7:15 pm

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus
hmm...

I understand the kind gesture and everything^.. but seriously.. how cheap, they could have done more..like.. actually get airborne! If i were a kid again, I would be very upset if we didnt actually fly like they said.. it was a FLIGHT so FLY !!!

Originally Posted by danville 1K
These kids are happy to be alive and thrilled to be on an airplane. Nuff said.

I think this is beginning to fall under "let no good deed go unpunished".

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 14, 2008 at 7:41 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Dec 14, 2008, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I understand the kind gesture and everything^.. but seriously.. how cheap, they could have done more..like.. actually get airborne! If i were a kid again, I would be very upset if we didnt actually fly like they said.. it was a FLIGHT so FLY !!!
Well it is called Fantasy Flight....perhaps the flying part is the fantasy?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 14, 2008 at 7:55 pm Reason: quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 7:39 pm

You are delusional if you think flying would have changed anything. UA already spent hours doing this, the reason for not flying is not because they were cheap, or it was time consuming, it was because it was not needed.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 14, 2008 at 7:43 pm Reason: quote/unnecessary
Old Dec 14, 2008, 7:56 pm

Really? This is what makes you mad?

That United employees, for nearly two decades, have volunteered their time to help kids who have been dealt a horrible hand in life?

After reading some other threads around here, I thought I had heard everything. But for somebody to throw out and over a charitable event for kids with terrible illnesses is just incredible.

Did it ever occur to you that there might have been reasons other than "cheap" for not getting airborne? The decorated cabin, maybe? Or that they had a planeload full of kids who aren't in the best of health and may not tolerate a flight so well?

You do know that chemotherapy can induce nausea and vomiting, right? Do you think it's a good idea to put a four-year old kid who had chemo the night before on a real flight? Scrambling for a barf bag may not be the best way to forget about a disease.

Anyway, I have a and in my head right now, and they have nothing to do with the fantasy flight.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 14, 2008 at 8:26 pm Reason: quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
I was at IAD yesterday and accidentaly walked in on the party, basically at the far end of the D gates. I didn't ask what was going on, but noticed that everyone was given a MiniMeal snack box on the way out.

Great event and ^ to United for hosting it again
Old Dec 14, 2008, 8:07 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by blort
Really? This is what makes you mad?

That United employees, for nearly two decades, have volunteered their time to help kids who have been dealt a horrible hand in life?

After reading some other threads around here, I thought I had heard everything. But for somebody to throw out and over a charitable event for kids with terrible illnesses is just incredible.

Did it ever occur to you that there might have been reasons other than "cheap" for not getting airborne? The decorated cabin, maybe? Or that they had a planeload full of kids who aren't in the best of health and may not tolerate a flight so well?

You do know that chemotherapy can induce nausea and vomiting, right? Do you think it's a good idea to put a four-year old kid who had chemo the night before on a real flight? Scrambling for a barf bag may not be the best way to forget about a disease.
Thanks, blort, for summing up what many are thinking.

No replies needed. Any Grinch-like posts will be summarily deleted.

Let's just give this a huge ^ for the kids by United.

Ho ho ho.

iluv2fly
Acting Santa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.