Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
Originally Posted by BlissWorld

I hope you are not changing your mind. Seriously, UA pulls these kind of stunts all the time. Let's take away this and that and hope everyone will like it! Then, they give them back when everyone threatens to leave. I am sick of this practice.

I hope you are reading between the lines of the revised CR1 announcement. What UA is really saying is, oh snap, let me give you back your CR1s so you don't leave me! But, when mommy Continental takes over in 2012, I really will have to do what they tell me and take your CR1s again, okay? Deal.
Not changing my mind at all, and completely agree with you re: reading between the lines. The between the lines is actually my biggest concern. I really fear mommy CO as you call it. I want to get ahead of that "devaluation curve" if I can. The difficulty of UDU lately and lack of NF/NC space is actually probably my most troubling concern. What good are a bunch of CR's and SWU's if you can't use them?

I am just being honest when I say it is a pain to change. Not that I won't do it, just that it sure would be simple if they just didn't devalue and life goes on as normal/old MP. That's all. I'm still looking for that match.

I know some airline mgmt peeps, I'm kinda racking my proverbial rolodex for someone with influence at AA. Nothing obvious yet on that front. If I come across I will PM you.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
B6 & AA are in a little deal that will let AA members earn miles on B6 flights from/to JFK & BOS...This is a small bonus for those of use that might fly to towns without AA mainline or RJ service.. Not sure if it is RDM or EQMs..
right now RDMs, not EQMs (at least not in the foreseeable future).
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by david-alexis
No! Please AA don't bend the rule, no matching to EXP!
I'm not completely sure either if I would like AA to match UA 1K/GS to EXP because most of us over there at AA have work hard to retain it. That being said, I have no problem with them offering a special EXP challenge to you guys. So best of luck to you all. Blissworld, you have been PM.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
I've been EXP and 1K, and there's just no comparison.... AA has treated me far better as an EXP than UA ever did as a 1K. I have not FLOWN ONCE in coach this entire year, and that's on heavily discounted tickets ($299 RT SFO MIA example). Prior to upgrades, I am ALWAYS able to select an emergency exit row. And the EXP desk is, in one word, amazing. In addition, queries to customer service are answered often same day. I also have flown F "in the nose" (1A, 1K) on Cathay to Asia and on British Air to Europe, on miles, on the days I wanted.

No airline is perfect and there are plenty of problems with AA, but I wanted to share my experience as a SFO-based flyer (though I don't really want the competition for upgrades from you guys and gals ha!)

Of course, YMMV...
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
I am actively looking at AA as an alternative, especially watchful of how UA/CO treats irrops under the airline's control as well as soft product and E+. I will likely do a challenge to PLT on AA and keep my currently earned 1P status on UA/CO in 2011.

A real sticky issue for myself is coverage. As an example, today UA has 18 flights arriving into my local from DEN, SFO, LAX and LAS. AA only has seven, from DFW and LAX. Departures are similarly appointed. It may boil down to coverage. As a positive, AA has two mainline flights per day in/out where UA has none.

If AA had/reinstated MRTC (or an equivalent to E+), or if UA eliminates E+ as an elite perk or eliminates the seating category altogether, that would/will be a major decision factor for myself, based on mid-tier elite status. When I look at the Y seat pitch on the new AA 738's, I wince.

I'd be happy to join the efforts but won't likely be a 1K in 2011 so won't really have standing for consideration. The different perspectives in the thread have given me good information to consider, so thanks for that...
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: Free Agent
At least you guys are better off than IAD based flyers! We really don't have much of a choice. My routes are usually IAD-SFO and quick trips to Europe.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
I am staying with United

Despite the uncertainty of final 1K benefits next year, I am staying with United. Yes, upgrades are uncertain, but overall I am treated very well as a 1K. United also flies to the majority of destinations I need to go.

I do understand the feelings here and perhaps if I felt I was unappreciated by United or flew mainly from an American/One World Hub, I would feel the same way.

Last edited by silver springer; Nov 19, 2010 at 12:44 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
Add me in. 280,000 LY on UA. Been G/S every year since program started.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Watching with interest. AA doesn't fly (of fly often) to many of the places I travel to frequently though ...
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
this is it!

Originally Posted by SFO777
You mean the same MD-80s with the quietest First Class cabin in the domestic skies? The ones that have not just 8 First seats (A319), not just 12 seats (A320) but 16 First seats? And Wi-Fi? Those MD-80s?
This is the crux. I fly as a 1K all over the world. My SWU's on gambler's folly W fares yield 50% upgrades at best. Domestically, upgrades clear 50-70% on A-320's and 50% on A-319's. MD-80's with 16 seats would mean 100% I am sure. I am seriously considering this if I can be assured of upgrades on TPAC to Shanghai. I am VERYYYY CLOSE.^
Old Nov 19, 2010, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
So you think they're bozos when they don't listen, and bozos when they do? Some people can never be satisfied.
Only a bozo would not have predicted the reaction. As a result of UA's bungling, they will be handing out 50% more CR-1s next year to 100K flyers than if they had just left it alone.

Originally Posted by Fanjet
This hyperbolic reaction is really funny. So people are moving over to AA because they're getting their number of CR-1s reduced... and AA doesn't even issue CR-1s!!!
And SWUs will be issued with on average 6 months shorter expiration, and it now takes 120 EQS to get to 1K (simply because CO has a top tier elite level that is trivial to attain). Etc.

EXP on AA was the better program before these changes. This just represents the last straw for some.

Regarding E+, UA shot themselves in the foot with UDU. UDU is so successful for 1K/GS pax that most of the 1Ks and GSes jumping to AA EXP which has an UDU *just* for EXP are likely not worried about sitting in coffin class.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Just wait, UniCon will figure out how to end UDU

Originally Posted by mre5765
Regarding E+, UA shot themselves in the foot with UDU. UDU is so successful for 1K/GS pax that most of the 1Ks and GSes jumping to AA EXP which has an UDU *just* for EXP are likely not worried about sitting in coffin class.
And UA is rapidly thinking through CO for ways to reduce this benefit for elites. I'm going through DEN early next month - and I was offered to upgrade to 1st for (I think) $100 each direction.

They'll do whatever they can to fill these seats, and seem to be testing price points to squeeze money out of those seats.

UDU will soon mean UDU for those willing to bid on the seats….just like at CO.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by embarcadero1
And UA is rapidly thinking through CO for ways to reduce this benefit for elites. I'm going through DEN early next month - and I was offered to upgrade to 1st for (I think) $100 each direction.
They'll do whatever they can to fill these seats, and seem to be testing price points to squeeze money out of those seats.
UDU will soon mean UDU for those willing to bid on the seats….just like at CO.
Looks like it. Give them another couple of months, and they'll complete the Continentalization by offering $50 upgrades to non-elites instead of upgrading 1Ks, or even offering 1Ks a buy-up opportunity.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
Originally Posted by SFO777
Looks like it. Give them another couple of months, and they'll complete the Continentalization by offering $50 upgrades to non-elites instead of upgrading 1Ks, or even offering 1Ks a buy-up opportunity.
Couple months? I'm pretty sure it's already happening. In the last few weeks I have been offered buy ups while already in UDU queue.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton Diamond
I am in, if they match to their highest status ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.