Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:50 am

I would consider switching my flights to AA seriously given possible change of life in 2012, if AA offers EXP match. Competition is welcome from customer's perspective.

I am with you.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by goldengate
I've been EXP and 1K, and there's just no comparison.... AA has treated me far better as an EXP than UA ever did as a 1K. I have not FLOWN ONCE in coach this entire year, and that's on heavily discounted tickets ($299 RT SFO MIA example). Prior to upgrades, I am ALWAYS able to select an emergency exit row. And the EXP desk is, in one word, amazing. In addition, queries to customer service are answered often same day. I also have flown F "in the nose" (1A, 1K) on Cathay to Asia and on British Air to Europe, on miles, on the days I wanted.

No airline is perfect and there are plenty of problems with AA, but I wanted to share my experience as a SFO-based flyer (though I don't really want the competition for upgrades from you guys and gals ha!)

Of course, YMMV...
Wow it's good to read something from an SFO-AA'er! My main concerns with AA was the lack of ex-SFO flights to Asia/Europe. But I'm only 1P, so wouldn't get UDU on AA, not that it's too big a concern. My main destinations are ORD, JFK, LHR, and FRA. What is AA's option for LHR/FRA for EQM (ie not award tix)?

Still hindsighting about flying AA F SFO-MIA-LHR/LHR-BOS-SFO (both domestics 2-class planes) with miles when we probably could (should) have used our AA miles for SFO/LHR RT F at that time (2006)...
Old Nov 20, 2010, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by JSlo
Couple months? I'm pretty sure it's already happening. In the last few weeks I have been offered buy ups while already in UDU queue.
Indeed it is. On .bomb when I just purchased my last MR for the year, yesterday, I was offered to buy upgrades to 1st on a 757 that was empty in 1st (which I doubt will fill up anyway because it's on Christmas day). They must think that 1k's have no chance of upgrades on any flights.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Jigen666
They must think that 1k's have no chance of upgrades on any flights.
No, they just think they might be able to milk some money from you.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Jigen666
Indeed it is. On .bomb when I just purchased my last MR for the year, yesterday, I was offered to buy upgrades to 1st on a 757 that was empty in 1st (which I doubt will fill up anyway because it's on Christmas day). They must think that 1k's have no chance of upgrades on any flights.
Every time I have been offered premium seating when booking on ua.com there was NC or NF space available so I could just confirm with an instrument if I so desired.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Beerman92
Every time I have been offered premium seating when booking on ua.com there was NC or NF space available so I could just confirm with an instrument if I so desired.
I've been offered premium seating on award tickets.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Nov 21, 2010 at 7:22 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
What about someone who flies quite a bit to Asia? How is AA transpac?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:59 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by andyh64000
What about someone who flies quite a bit to Asia? How is AA transpac?
The (2) NA carriers with a good Pacific route structure were NW, and UA. NW is now DL, and UA is still UA. AA and the others are playing "catch up" due to the open sky agreements out there, but AA is traditionally strong in Latin/South America, and UA/NW(DL) with a giant head start in Asia (Pan Am, which sold theirs to UA, NW, and I think one of the cargo carriers) due to NRT 5th freedom rights.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:06 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Strength in numbers. Color me interested in jumping ships.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
It's already happening

Originally Posted by JSlo
Couple months? I'm pretty sure it's already happening. In the last few weeks I have been offered buy ups while already in UDU queue.
I'm a 1K and they offered me the $100 buy-up when I finalize the purchase of the ticket through DEN.

UA is ditching us. I'm delighted to return the favor and fly AA.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:44 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
(takes a deep breath, with heavy heart) I'm definitely interested here. I have the added incentive of more work through DFW in the new year, and regular trips to Europe which route through London often, then to other places, so the BA tie-up is useful too.

I don't begrudge UA trying to maximise revenue, I suppose. By the same token, I am sure they don't begrudge me taking my TATL business elsewhere.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:09 am

Programs: United 1K - AA EXP - Avis CC - Hertz Plat - Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat
Is someone actually trying to reach out to AA for everyone here are we just hoping AA sees this and makes an offer?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:13 am

As both GS & EXP, I think AA is a great program, and UA is a good one. Personally, I've yet to get anything out of GS that exceeded routine EXP benefits. Then again, I was going back through, and I actually haven't had any IRROPS situations on any airline in 2+ years . (Wood knocking commences.) And IMHO, an average EXP agent is even better than an average GS agent - but YMMV.

But I caution everyone contemplating this to be careful if you transfer CR1s a lot to friends/family. That is one of the biggest benefits of UA over AA/DL to me... and it still will be after these changes. It's the sole reason all my friends are UA people and not AA people. I don't even remember the last time I upgraded a companion or gave one away to a friend on AA. To me, this advantage still tilts to UA. (Personally, I'll actually gain CR1s, but even at the 6SWU+4CR1 vs 8VIP minimums, I think this is still true.) And I must admit, it's a bit ironic to me that this is the issue creating the uproar to leave UA over when there is nothing comparable at AA. But outside this issue, there are certainly enough reasons to tempt someone with this change IMO.

Last edited by HeadInTheClouds; Nov 21, 2010 at 9:56 am
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 2K, MM, SPG PLT
Count me in as interested.
1K with ~230k eqm, 100+ eqs, 180k BIS.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by patk
Lastly, AA EXP desk just knocks the socks off of 1K. It's really not even close... I'm usually on hold 5-10 minutes when calling 1K, but I can get through to the EXP line immediately.
I never, well hardly ever, have a wait of more than 60 secs when calling the 1K desk. It might be the time zone you're in or something!

Unless AA suddenly adopts E+ seating (or UA drops it), I imagine the number of UA 1K/GS fliers who will actually switch will be minimal, esp if you have to earn your status on AA, which I predict. I can't imagine depending on the availability of an exit row seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.