Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Its official and ugly, new UA livery, first a/c painted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Its official and ugly, new UA livery, first a/c painted

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:45 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Exclamation

Ugly. Really ugly and terribly sad.

The United I have been loyal to the last 20 years is no more.

I cannot see anything good about this merger.

I have always paid for my air travel myself there is no company paying for me.

I will boycott the new airline for as much as I can.

This is no longer the United we used to know.
Just wait. We haven't seen anything yet.

I have just redeemed a great most of my miles.
Continental or the new UA won't have them. At least these won't be diluted/devaluated.

The new planes/airline looks UGLY!!!!!

Vote with your feet and your purse!
Boycott!!!!!

There's plenty of competition especially here in Europe.

Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:56 am

Programs: One Pass
Originally Posted by UAL awesome
LOL, indeed, and believe me, you are FAR from alone. The people that actually like this are in the extreme minority.

From First:

to Worst:

Just looking at them side by side the UA logo destroys the CO one.
Seriously??? That's not even the official Co Logo.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:08 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Well, I don't agree with the first part, but I so agree for the 2nd part. The old old livery of UA will ALWAYS be the ultimate United in my mind...

[/QUOTE]

I agree that was always my favorite UA livery. I guess I'm in the minority, but I am not really too bothered by the new livery as per the pic the OP included. I am happy that 'UNITED' is remaining in an all-caps font. As per what changes await us on the things like E+, whether Int't First Class will be retained, changes to the FF program, and Channel 9 we still really don't know for sure what is in store for us. While I am sure there will be some negative outcomes, there might also be some positives and I will wait until they are known until I prematurely threaten to jump ship. In the end, I have so many miles and time invested with United, and I am willing to forego a few of the perks I have enjoyed in the past to allow United to become a more secure and profitable operation. I'm not saying that the doomdayers are wrong, and I know that the Delta/NW merger made a tight FF plan even moreso, but after so many years of riding the Mileage Plus gravy train it might well be time to accept some change is in store; the airline landscape sure has.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:18 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Smile

Originally Posted by adambrau
Well, I don't agree with the first part, but I so agree for the 2nd part. The old old livery of UA will ALWAYS be the ultimate United in my mind...
It was colourful and distinctive.

The new "United" is a hybrid with no true meaning. Just a hybrid.
A GMO United.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 29, 2010 at 7:56 am
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is no reasoning behind it, it is all ego driven.
This is absolutely and totally false.

It is cash-driven. This approach is much less expensive than any alternative that still gets all the planes to the same livery.
Originally Posted by Grace B
I won't spend another penny on the ailine that will call itself United (unless there are some very serious bribes forthcoming). Why should I? They've got nothing of interest to me any longer (having just achieved my 2MM).
Umm....what has actually changed? Seriously, in the next 3-4 months at least there shouldn't be any difference at all. And no one knows what changes are actually coming down the line. So you're making the decision based on what?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by CDG1

Ugly. Really ugly and terribly sad.

The United I have been loyal to the last 20 years is no more.

I cannot see anything good about this merger.

I have always paid for my air travel myself there is no company paying for me.

I will boycott the new airline for as much as I can.

This is no longer the United we used to know.
Just wait. We haven't seen anything yet.

I have just redeemed a great most of my miles.
Continental or the new UA won't have them. At least these won't be diluted/devaluated.

The new planes/airline looks UGLY!!!!!

Vote with your feet and your purse!
Boycott!!!!!

There's plenty of competition especially here in Europe.

It's only paint!

You advocate boycotting United because of a change in paint design?

Surely there is something missing from your post.
-
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
wonder how usairways is......
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:38 am

Programs: UAMP Gold Million Miler; American, Delta, Southwest; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt; Marriott, A-Plus
This all be be temporary

Once the merger is finally really fully merged with a single FAA cert, you may see the big changes. Right now, it is just pasting the Company name on a bunch of CO planes. I'll bet not too many United Planes will have the globe painted on it.

And then they will unveil a brand new livery for the real combined airline.

Just my guess.

Last edited by jspector106; Sep 29, 2010 at 6:39 am Reason: correct spelling
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
It's not as atrocious as Delta's new livery with the flipped widget, and still people eventually got used to that.
Speak for yourself...the DL livery is clean, modern and fresh. The new UA one looks like it's from the last century. Oh wait, it IS!!

Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by char777
Does anybody else think that image is photoshopped?
Yes, I'm not sure how this thread has got this far without discussing this comment

http://errorlevelanalysis.com/permalink/4bf2a49/

That sure looks like the image file was manipulated.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
This is absolutely and totally false.

It is cash-driven. This approach is much less expensive than any alternative that still gets all the planes to the same livery.

Umm....what has actually changed? Seriously, in the next 3-4 months at least there shouldn't be any difference at all. And no one knows what changes are actually coming down the line. So you're making the decision based on what?
I was wondering the same thing. Is it the paint job that is really provoking a decision to change carriers? And to that effect, are AA planes really much better, even then the old grey UA birds? IMO, I would rather fly in an arguably ugly painted UA aircraft, whether new or old UA, then sit in another AA or DL MD-80.

There are those who are convinced they will be switching because everything will be getting worse. The thing is, I can't predict the future, really, and I can't imagine those claiming they know everything about the new merged carrier will be way worse can either. The fact is, the merger is reality, and I'm planning on sticking around, unless things do change enough to be a tipping point. For others, might be best to do the same without coming to unfounded conclusions. Of course, if you know the grass is greener on the other side, by all means, go. But things on the other side aren't always what they appear to be.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:40 am
jss
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
Discussion at pilots forum that first newly painted a/c will be used for ORD-IAH flight Friday with new mgmt team onboard.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ca...-livery-5.html
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
I like it. Better than the ugly old blue and Grey look or the new look that is already peeling and fading. Now, if they want to go to the United colors of the 70's, I'd be for that!!!

AD
If the guy driving the plane likes the paint job, I like the paint job.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:04 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SF_DUKE
Just in time for Fleet Week. Look forward to seeing it in person.
not me

Still disgusting. I hope everyone at FleetWeek gives them hell for it.
if i could bring my goalie-stick to the fleet week do, i'd gladly take a game misconduct and a suspension for high sticking the logo. feh on the globe (and if the plane pull aircraft has the new logo, i'm pushing backwards instead of pulling forward)
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Pryde987
You have no concept of 'branding.'
On the contrary, it appears that you have no concept of originality. A new airline demands a new brand identity. Looking to the future demands a break from the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.