Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Its official and ugly, new UA livery, first a/c painted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Its official and ugly, new UA livery, first a/c painted

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by OCorSNA
One: We're just not used to seeing this. It's unfamiliar to see United dressed up as Continental. It will be for some time.

Two: Some of us really find it to be less attractive than United's pre-merger look. A globe can have style --check out the Pan Am logo --but this one does not. I really think they could just have put up the equation of a sphere on the tail and that would be more interesting, because that's all I see.
Pan Am globe isn't so hot. Look at it here, looks like it was done in MS Paint.

http://www.guilfordrail.com/
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by jgreen1024
Who cares? Well-maintained planes with well-trained pilots are a heck of a lot more important to me than what the paint looks like.

Seriously, who cares?
I care. When I'm on an airplane taxiing, and I look out the window, I'll probably have to look at some of those.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Steph3n

I think most people will disagree with that. I've seen the Pan Am logo worn as a fashion accessory! You'll never see anyone wear the sphere.

Pan Am's logo is an icon. Thats probably why that railroad bought it. I doubt any company would shell out cash for CO's powerpoint clip art.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ocorsna
i think most people will disagree with that. I've seen the pan am logo worn as a fashion accessory! You'll never see anyone wear the sphere.

Pan am's logo is an icon. Thats probably why that railroad bought it. I doubt any company would shell out cash for co's powerpoint clip art.
^ +100000000000
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Steph3n

1996 called. They want their HTML back.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
Has anyone thought that since all Continental aircraft is already painted and many UA planes are not painted (still the old tired blue and grey colors) that this is more cost economical to paint the UA planes in the CO format with United script? It takes less paint to paint 1/2 the planes (more of less) than all the planes and the other half just needs a small amount of paint (to paint over Continental to United). If people want UA to survive and be able to offer the benefits we have come to expect then maybe this is a good thing. Personally I have no problem with the new scheme and do not mind the Continental Globe in the tail fin. I don't care for the United script though. Maybe letter outlines would help or italic print.
This thought absolutely crossed my mind. Another thought I had: is it cheaper in terms of labor to paint the fuselage than the tail? Like you mention, all the CO planes are "done" and the UA ones are the ones that need paint. Personally I prefer the newest UA iteration/blue fade tulip and white to this one- however having said that...I care more about E+, UDU, SWU, maintenance records, MP+, etc than I do about the logo/look.

3 years ago when I started flying a ton for business, I didn't choose my airline on looks. I chose United b/c it has the best FF program, the most perks, and the best route network to fit my needs, and they were cheaper than SQ. Hopefully all of that stays true or I'll have to look to the dAArkside! Yikes. Please, no. I don't think anyone over there is hAApy.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:29 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
While I don't like the globe, I think the plane as a whole looks pretty good!

Yes I said it
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: NWA Plat, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond AA ExpPl
better looking then the old TEDs. Did I just say that?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
While I don't like the globe, I think the plane as a whole looks pretty good!
Boeing does deserve a hand for making some very nice looking aircraft, the 737NG being one of them. ^
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:11 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by quantumslip

Hello United!
UA? Where? All I saw in that pic was CO. Oh, wait! I do see "United", but that's it! It's more like "Goodbye United" to me.

Count me in the camp who doesn't like the new livery, but as long as E+ stays, I can certainly cope with essentially CO's livery.

LAX
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
Has anyone thought that since all Continental aircraft is already painted and many UA planes are not painted (still the old tired blue and grey colors) that this is more cost economical to paint the UA planes in the CO format with United script? It takes less paint to paint 1/2 the planes (more of less) than all the planes and the other half just needs a small amount of paint (to paint over Continental to United). If people want UA to survive and be able to offer the benefits we have come to expect then maybe this is a good thing. Personally I have no problem with the new scheme and do not mind the Continental Globe in the tail fin. I don't care for the United script though. Maybe letter outlines would help or italic print.
I don't have painting expertise, but would suspect that even the CO planes needs more than just an erasing of the "Continental" and replacing with "United." Wouldn't all of the CO planes need a full new coat of paint (or however many coats is needed), just as much as the grey and newer UA birds will also need a full new coat(s).
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:20 pm

Programs: AS, AA, WN
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Speak for yourself...the DL livery is clean, modern and fresh. The new UA one looks like it's from the last century. Oh wait, it IS!!

I agree. And placing the Delta logo on the tail pointing NORTHWEST is a nice subtle nod to NWA.

The fact is, all the people crying about a corporate logo would be crying just the same if the merged carrier was to be called "Continental" but keep the tulip on the tail. Then you'd all be lamenting the loss of your name.

Go over to the CO forum and you'll see a number of posts along those lines.

It's OK to be opposed to the merger, but to oppose it because the planes will have a globe instead of a tulip is ridiculous, IMO.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I don't have painting expertise, but would suspect that even the CO planes needs more than just an erasing of the "Continental" and replacing with "United." Wouldn't all of the CO planes need a full new coat of paint (or however many coats is needed), just as much as the grey and newer UA birds will also need a full new coat(s).
They'll just paint the Contiental white and then paint United. If you look reclosely on the CO's aircraft delivered before 2009, you can see the raised edges of the SkyTeam logo under the Star Alliance logo.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:30 pm

I'm a fan of the current white and blue logo, but the new one will be fine.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by flg8rmatt
I agree. And placing the Delta logo on the tail pointing NORTHWEST is a nice subtle nod to NWA.
Yes, but having to fly in the same direction all the time has really screwed up their routing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.