Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

763 3-Cabin: C cabin pax...have you given up on your lav?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2003, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Just an observation from a flight last week on a 763. I was seated in 2D, and even though the purser made an announcement about using the lavatories in your own cabin, it seemed that almost all of the C cabin passengers came up to use the first class cabin lavatories. Now im just wondering if the C-Cabin pax actually have given up on their lav due to the proximity of the coach cabin to their lavs?
Old Dec 22, 2003, 2:12 pm

This doesn't answer your question, but I do believe the 762 C-class lav config is superior to the 763
Old Dec 22, 2003, 2:28 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
No, the C class folks go there to find out the truth about the rumours of a masseuse stationed in the F lavatories.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 6:01 pm

I fly coach and sometimes First and try to adhere to the no-comingling policy between the two. However, based on a recent flight I'm opting for whatever is closest.

On a recent SEA to LAX flight I sat patiently after takeoff, sitting in coach for the seatbelt light to go off and watched from my bulkhead seat F pax get up at will and go to the restroom without a word said.

Along comes the drink wagon and I kindly ask the FA if I can get up to go to the restroom before they pass. One FA acknowledges the seatbelt light but says to go ahead. I thank her and as I get up the other FA looks at me and says "the seatbelt light is still on". I apologized to her for my weak bladder and mention that it seems that the front cabin must have a different set of seatbelt lights, they've been going for the last 10 minutes. She looks at me and says "all I have to tell you is the seatbelt light is still on" in a threatening tone. I looked at her and said fine, would you like to tell that to the pax in the front cabin?" By then the seatbelt light went off and I headed for the restroom.

After "taking care of business", three fellow passengers stood waiting in the rear galley for the drink wagon to make it's way back. Two passengers, including a young boy were following the wagon down the aisle. The kid was jumping up and down, an obvious sign that his needs were critical. Tubulence and the seatbelt light goes on again with the usual announcements. The drink wagon is still making it's lazy way to the back and the three of us are hanging onto the walls in the back. The young boy somehow gets around the wagon and makes a beeline to the restroom. 15-20 minutes later and more turbulence the wagon makes it to the back galley and now 5 of us can return to our seats.

This was a 2hour+ flight. I have always seen FA's either push the drink wagon up or back to allow passengers access to their seats or the restrooms. If they can't do that they should at least equip that wagon with a port-a-potty!

Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:00 pm
Original Member

If they will not put the curtains back, the least they could do is install a rope. Unobtrusive, but it will get the message across.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
For me, someone who has flown the 763 a lot this year, I haven't given up on the lavatory in C-hardly ever a line for me.

Sure, I wish they had a rope or the curtain divider back but I haven't ran into any problems because of one reason: FA's

Almost all of my 763's have been international or transcons, I am not sure there is a short-haul 763, and everytime I walk back to use the lavatory in C (from my standard seat 8A) I always see one or two FA's sitting, chatting, reading in the jumpseat that is set between C & Y. That FA acts as an enforcer and denies the rule-breaking Y passengers access. Does it always happen? No. Could it be better? Yes. But remember there are only 2 lavatories on the 777 for 49 passengers so the 763 still gives you a better ratio than that.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 11:31 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

FA's are required to tell you ther seat belt light is still on. Don't begrudge them for that. Just say THANK YOU. And then pee...
Old Dec 22, 2003, 11:46 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by auh2o:
Just say THANK YOU. And then pee...</font>
Or whatever else...

Old Dec 23, 2003, 1:12 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by auh2o:
FA's are required to tell you ther seat belt light is still on. Don't begrudge them for that. Just say THANK YOU. And then pee...</font>
I don't begrudge the FA for telling me the seatbelt light is still on. I asked politely and was given allowance to go from the FA at the rear of the drink wagon. The FA in the front of the the wagon (who heard the other FA's response to my request) apparently didn't like the permission given.

I was trying to be accomodating to avoid having them push the wagon all the way to the galley to let me through. Or to avoid being the invisible person following the drink wagon that neither FA sees. That kid was doing a jig in the aisle and it didn't seem to get their attention.

Aside from that, we were 15-20 minutes into the flight and nearly half of the front cabin pax had already headed for their restroom without even a second look from the FA as each walked by. And that started even before we leveled off.

I can appreciate the inconvenience the FA's face and most other flights seem to handle it by using drink trays allowing pax aisle access to the restroom(s).
Old Dec 23, 2003, 1:22 am

Location: , The postings of mine are my opinions solely and do not reflect the opinions of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
When the seatbelt sign is on at any time during the flight, the FAA requires that you remain in your seat with your seatbelt fastened. This is for your safety and teh safety of other passengers. If you are walking down the aisle and you fall on someone and hurt them as well as yourself, it is a big problem. We are put in a very bad position, We are required to tell you to be seated. We do not do it to be mean. At least I don't, but I wouldn't be doing my job if I was to neglect this aspect and rule.
Just ask me for a Depends ;-)
Just kidding! Merry Christmas to all!
Old Dec 23, 2003, 2:09 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Well I'd rather have them fall on me rather than weeing on me
Old Dec 23, 2003, 2:45 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly4miles:
I can appreciate the inconvenience the FA's face and most other flights seem to handle it by using drink trays allowing pax aisle access to the restroom(s). </font>

The only other airline that uses "drink trays" in the main cabin is Southwest, all other airlines use carts that I'm aware of. Any of the big airlines do anyway - and moving that cart back and forth everytime someone needs to go to or come back from the lav is asking WAY too much. Sure, if you're in front of the cart then why would you care - you already have your drink and food - what about the people in the back that have to wait an extra thirty minutes because the F/A continually has to move that cart back and forth. If you decide to get up when the carts come out then thats the chance you take.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 6:01 am

FA's are required to tell you ther seat belt light is still on. Don't begrudge them for that. Just say THANK YOU. And then pee...</font>
This is CYA in case the plane dumps 300' in 2 seconds and someone bangs his or her precious but incorrigible head.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 9:53 am

Programs: United 1K (after 15 years GS) 3MM, Marriott LTTitanium
It does put the FA in a tough spot like G-man says. I have said before, the disregard for the seat belt does make me wary, particularly when 5 minutes out, some guy jumps up to get his laptop out of the overhead. Just because you fly 1K doesn't mean the laws of gravity do not apply to you or your stuff. I really do not care if you fly up and mash your head (unless it means we get diverted) but I don't want to have an Thinkpad surgically removed from my forehead.

That said,,,, Merry Christmas everybody.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why do most international airlines turn the seatbelt sign off after reaching 10,000ft and then use it much more sparingly during flight? The US airlines don't turn it off until they reach cruising altitude which sometimes takes 30-40 minutes and then turn it on again when there is the slightest bump. Flying on US airlines is really a bladded buster for me! I'd have to think this has something to do with the prevalance of lawsuits in the US?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.