Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2010 Edition.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2010 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Originally Posted by redondo-beach
You would think they would really take care of a paid business class flyer,

I would ask for a review and something better......

RB
Yeah, I've thought I should push them on it a bit. This was a huge PITA, with tons of stress and time wasted, yet the compensation that I got was less than what UA once gave me when the video was broken in E+ on a FCO-IAD flight .
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta PLAT + 1K United for 2011, ????? for 2012
Originally Posted by endrond
Yeah, I've thought I should push them on it a bit. This was a huge PITA, with tons of stress and time wasted, yet the compensation that I got was less than what UA once gave me when the video was broken in E+ on a FCO-IAD flight .
let us know what they say......

Good Luck

RB
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
12/23: FA had to go to the emergency room so our outbound flight (MCI-ORD) was delayed about an hour and a half. Of course I missed my connection in Chicago and had a seven hour layover instead of the hour planned (during which time I took the train and ate lunch at Hot Doug's. Mmmmmmm.) The GA upon departure from MCI told us to to go the website and they'd "give us some miles or something". I wasn't even that bent out of shape about it, but upon putting the flight number in, the next day I was given 9,000 RDM. I'll take it.

Chris
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
12/26: SBA-SFO arrives 40 min late due to late aircraft from LAX, miss my 40 minute connection to IAH, rebooked SFO-(UA)-DEN-(CO)-IAH.

12/27: Dec. 27, 2010 CUSTOMER RELATIONS BONUS MILES 9,000
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:41 am

was I entitled to compensation?

Last night, I had a 40-minute connection at ORD for the last flight of the day to WAS. (Yeah, I know). By the time my plane landed and we deboarded, it was already with 15 minutes of boarding. I ran to the gate, 4 minutes before departure of UA 628. The door was closed. (A number of people also tried to make it).
I don't know if they took any volunteers, but I saw the sign asking for it.

I was given confirmed standby for the next day (no available open seats). And I asked for a hotel and was given the discounted rate voucher. That's it. (I later called and got a real seat).

Was I supposed to get compensation?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
My colleague, 1P

6 hour delay ORD-PEK

Got $350 voucher
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Silver, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by artemis021
I ran to the gate, 4 minutes before departure of UA 628. The door was closed. (A number of people also tried to make it).
I don't know if they took any volunteers, but I saw the sign asking for it.

Was I supposed to get compensation?
What was the reason for the late flight?

If weather then no compensation or hotel (unless you are 1k). If mechanical then perhaps compensation and hotel were due.

Since the door to the flight closes 10 minutes before departure the sign asking for volunteers is irrelevant because you showed up too late to make the flight.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by cocaine
Since the door to the flight closes 10 minutes before departure the sign asking for volunteers is irrelevant because you showed up too late to make the flight.
Not entirely correct....

Per the bootleg IDB/VDB rules:

- IF A CUSTOMER ARRIVES AT THE GATE LATE DUE TO A LATE CONNECTING UA/UAX FLIGHT...IRRESPECTIVE OF THE REASON FOR THE DELAYED FLIGHT...THE RESERVATION CUTOFF POLICY MAY NOT BE EXERCISED.

- IF THE JETBRIDGE HAS BEEN PULLED AND NO OTHER DB*S WERE TAKEN...THIS CUSTOMER *IS NOT* ENTITLED TO DB COMPENSATION.

- IF THE JETBRIDGE HAS BEEN PULLED AND DB*S WERE TAKEN...THIS CUSTOMER *IS* ENTITLED TO DB COMPENSATION
- IF THE JETBRIDGE IS STILL UP BUT THE CONNECTION IS NOT ALLOWED TO BOARD * EITHER BECAUSE THE FLIGHT IS IN A DB SITUATION OR THEIR SEATS HAVE BEEN GIVEN AWAY AND THE FLIGHT IS FULL OR A LOCAL DECISION IS MADE THAT IT IS TOO CLOSE TO DEPARTURE TO BOARD CONNECTIONS * THIS CONNECTION IS A DB AND SHOULD BE COMPENSATED ACCORDINGLY. IF THE CUSTOMER AGREES TO BECOME A VOLUNTEER...
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:32 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Silver, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Not entirely correct....

Per the bootleg IDB/VDB rules:
Well that's cool! I did not know that. Now the problem is finding a GA that is a straight shooter or anyone who saw them VDB people during boarding. I would imagine you have one hell of an uphill battle trying to get compensation either because the GA doesn't know or is on a power trip.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by flatlander4510
...they needed a volunteer to take the next flight out in exchange for a $400 voucher...
These are Type B voucher.

What this thread is focused on Type A voucher.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by artemis021
...4 minutes before departure of UA 628...
UA's standard policy is 10 minutes to close.

You can try Type A (writing to Customer Relations).

For sure, it is not Type B.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA - Silver and dropping...
First, MODS, if this is an incorrect using of this forum, please move this post.

OK. So I've never asked for compensation from UA before. However, last Monday I had an IAD-DEN which was supposed to leave at 7am-ish and arrive in DEN at 10:30ish MST. I had a call that day at 11am MST which I could NOT MISS for work. I get on the plane, once it was loaded they told us there was a mechanical problem. About 45 minutes later they let us know it would be another hour. We this now meant we'd be landing past the 11am MST no matter what. So I asked to get off the plane. They allowed me to. I paid $50 bucks for RCC (which took 30 minutes because their systems weren't working) and I was stuck in the airport for most of the day, just so I could make my 11am MST call. I did end up taking a 530 flight from IAD-DEN which got me into DEN that night (and also ended up costing an additional day of parking since the airport at DIA rounds up).

So, what do you guys think I should do? Is this worthy of asking for compensation? What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I think you were cutting it quite close given your time requirements. Yes, the airlines have a published schedule, but allowing only for a potential 30 minute delay on a flight is really asking for trouble.

There is a reason why many travelers (business and leisure) fly a day ahead of a needed meeting/conference call. You cannot expect 100 % on time for a commercial airline. Even a private jet can have issues (where you might need to wait for a replacement).

I'm not sure if I would ask for compensation in your case. I would not do it personally, but everyone has a different boundary. What I would not do in the future is schedule something that tight. You are just asking for trouble.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by HeIsAudiHereUnlessHesFlying
Is this worthy of asking for compensation?
I would say not. Booking a flight with that tight a schedule is really your own fault.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA - Silver and dropping...
Thanks. I hadn't asked earlier because I was thinking along the same lines. Yeah, I knew it was tight but it was the earliest I could get out that day because I was connecting from SHD (a small airport in VA). I did think it was nice of them to let me off but as I always say - I don't mind mechanical delays. Rather they find out on the ground and fix it than it than find out in the air and have the FAA investigate it....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.