Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2010 Edition.

Old Jan 1, 10, 10:44 am
Original Poster

short version:
==========
missed flight due to agent error, had to buy my own one-way (~$300) back. 13,000 miles redeposited (it was an award ticket), $200 domestic voucher.

long version:
==========
in mid-december i was in NYC for a weekend trip and had my plans for my last day there (saturday) foiled due to The Snowstorm (LGA-IAD-SFO, with the first segment canceled). fine, fine. 90 minutes on hold late friday night and i get rebooked LGA-BOS-SFO (LGA-BOS on US).

get to LGA but can't check in because the phone agent forgot(?) to actually ticket the new itinerary. 90 minutes on hold with UA (meanwhile the flight to BOS had left) and when i finally get connected with an agent, my iphone was on perpetual mute. (i have since switched to verizon and a droid, but that's another story for another day).

gave up and ran to the other terminal to speak to a UA agent in person. she managed to find me a flight LGA-PHL-SFO on US but i heard while in the US terminal flights to PHL have been canceled, so otherwise she couldn't get me out until the following monday.

while on hold on the phone with UA i was looking online for options to get home and saw that i could take AA for $285 (+$30 airport ticketing fee) LGA-ORD-SFO which left in 3 hours.

i told the UA agent but she wouldn't/couldn't endorse my ticket over to AA (even though it was UA error, not weather anymore, since the flight through BOS would have worked just fine?) so i gave up and bought the ticket so i could at least get home that day.

i wrote to united asking for 12,500 miles and a voucher for $315, but got 13,000 miles and a voucher for $200. :\ oh well.

Moderator note To improve site performance, this consolidated thread has been split. Pre-2010 posts on the subject may be found here. Posts on this topic for 2010 are welcome in the thread below. Ocn Vw 1K for the United forum Moderator team.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 23, 10 at 11:48 pm Reason: To explain archiving of pre-2010 posts.
Old Jan 2, 10, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Amtrak Select
12/28/09 PHL-IAD. Air vent in-op at my seat. I told the flight attendent who didn't seem to care so I wrote UA an email under the "suggestions" prompt. I wasn't expecting anything but they sent me a $100 voucher.
Old Jan 4, 10, 7:10 am

Programs: UA - Global Services MM, SPG - Ambassador Lifetime Platinum
Scheduled on UA938 ORD-LHR in C. Flight went mechanical. Recevied an unsolicited apology "Customer Appreciation" email from UA with the following choices:

1) $500 e-cert good for all 50 plus PR and the USVI
2) 20% Economy e-cert good for any destination domestic or int'l
3) 22,500 MP miles

Not sure what to select yet. I'm sitting on a mountain of CR $ off vouchers.
Old Jan 4, 10, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Global Services 2.5+ MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Downgauge comp

I was heading home LHR-IAD-JFK last month and I was scheduled for the IAD-JFK leg to be in F(paid) on a RJ. The plane went out mechanical and they put us onto an older smaller RJ with no F. The next morning I got an email from UA telling me that they were sorry and that I was given 9,000 miles in my account. Where on Earth did they get that number from? Kinda cheap if you ask me. Maybe 15K as a minimum next time?
Old Jan 4, 10, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by meducate View Post
I was heading home LHR-IAD-JFK last month and I was scheduled for the IAD-JFK leg to be in F(paid) on a RJ. The plane went out mechanical and they put us onto an older smaller RJ with no F. The next morning I got an email from UA telling me that they were sorry and that I was given 9,000 miles in my account. Where on Earth did they get that number from? Kinda cheap if you ask me. Maybe 15K as a minimum next time?
Was this on top of a refund for the fare difference?
Old Jan 4, 10, 8:28 am

Programs: UA Global Services 2.5+ MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BayTalker View Post
Was this on top of a refund for the fare difference?
No refund...that request is pending...
Old Jan 9, 10, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Dog Woof Million Mile Member
It Pays to Complain

I recently had an experience where United messed up my ticket on a Region 1 international flight. (It is not worth going into the gory details.) This is especially true is if the cause of your complaint is that the employees will not honor a published United policy--and even tells you that it is absolutely not the policy.

I went to customer service with no resolution. Then to the supervisor, with a different answer, but no resolution. Then to another who gave me a different, but still incorrect answer. I knew, in this case, that United was wrong and had the documentation to prove it.

I wound up getting an annual report, going into the Chicago HQ, going to the secretary of a VP who, finally, got me to talk to someone high up in Customer Service. She looked into the complaint and saw I was correct, apologized, and offered a $250 voucher.

Since I am a 1k I said, pretty please, may I have a Systemwide Upgrade. Pause Pause Answer: Well, we don't normally do this, but we will in your case.

The moral of the story: if United messes up your reservation, and you cannot get satisfaction, call Chicago and be nice but persistent. If you have your facts right, there is a chance that they will compensate you for your trouble.

Don't bother them if you are just trying to get something for free and are not in the right. And don't bother them if it is not serious (my cupholder was broken). But if you find that a reservations agent, gate agent, check in agent tells you that something is in complete violation of United's policy, and you can prove that what they are calling a violation is indeed the correct and published policy, then go for it.
Old Jan 9, 10, 7:51 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
But...

You went to a whole lot of trouble to get taken care of, visiting WHQ in person even. Prior to that you had no satisfaction. Yet you suggest simply calling WHQ to make your case. Do you think that would have worked for you and you simply went beyond what was needed, or do you really think simply calling and asking for a high-up customer service management person is going to get people somewhere?

Just curious. Glad after all that trouble that you got a SWU out of it.

Don't like your title though. A lot of people are of the opinion that it pays to complain, whether there's good reason to or not, just because you might get something for it. And that wasn't your point. You simply outlined a path to take when you absolutely know, and have done the research to prove, that you're right... and that UA messed up (and subsequently wouldn't take care of you).

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Jan 9, 10 at 7:53 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jan 9, 10, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Dog Woof Million Mile Member
Thumbs down Web site complaint bounce back

I tried to contact customer care through United's website about a safety issue on a recent flight. The complaint bounced back to my email account. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Here is the message I received:

Reporting-MTA: dns;NGENPDXKB01
Received-From-MTA: dns;NGENPDXKB01.cimondemand.corp
Arrival-Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 17:43:42 -0800

Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 Mail refused.
Old Jan 9, 10, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Madisonman39 View Post
I tried to contact customer care through United's website about a safety issue on a recent flight. The complaint bounced back to my email account. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Did you try and send it a second time? It worked for me.
Old Jan 10, 10, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
ORD-FRA Diverted to JFK

I was on the Dec 1 ORD-FRA flight that was diverted to JFK 2.5 hours into the flight due to luggage being loaded into a cargo hold that didn't have smoke detectors. Why it took 2.5 hours to figure this out, who knows. All in it added about 4 hours to the trip.

At the time I was on the ground at JFK, United had sent out appreciation emails with a link so it was nice to see that they were on top of things. I checked later that week and it was 4 options - $300 domestic ecert, some miles, something else and a $300 system wide paper cert. Someone I was traveling with who is a general member, received $250. I waited a couple weeks and in that time I rolled over from 1P to 1K and my offer was up to $350.

I took the $350 paper cert to use for an international MR later in the year.
Old Jan 12, 10, 3:50 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Marriott/HHonors/SPG Gold, Golden Circle Diamond
My reading light didn't work on 767 exit row from ORD to LHR while everyone else reading light around me were working. I got "Please Accept Our Apology" card from flight attendant.

Logged online to claim token of appreciation.

3 options:

$250 domestic voucher
10% efare
10,000 Miles

I took 10,000 miles.
Old Jan 12, 10, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Madisonman39 View Post

Obviously, your trek to WHQ got you on "the list".
Old Jan 12, 10, 11:56 am

1K Voice Responds Within 8-hrs.

Family of 4 travelled from SIN to SFO with a connection to YVR and then onto YLW as our final destination on 12/12 last year for the family vacation.

In SFO, luggage took over 1hr to show up on belt, meaning we missed our YVR and YLW connections. We ended up overnighting in SFO (courtesy of UA).

Given that we had prepaid a 2-week ski vacation, I was slightly annoyed that we missed the first night.

I decided to write 1K voice (having never done so before) and I couldnt be happier with the result.

First off - I received a response within 8-hrs. The response was written by a real human, with an apology for the inconvenience. Secondly, they told me to expect something in the mail as a goodwill gesture.

3-weeks later and 4 x $250 certs show up, good for intl travel.

Things I learned from FT re this.

1. Be specific with the complaint in terms of what you want to happen. In my case, I mentioned that a travel certificate would be adequate compensation.
2. Keep the emotion out of it. (Sometimes easier said than done).

In my mind, UA handled this quickly, efficiently and exceeded my expectation in terms of compensation.
Old Jan 15, 10, 4:26 pm

Have you had any luck with an "Inadequate Compensation" letter?

1. We had a horrible experience last week which pretty much boils down to 2 hours on the phone at 2 am and then a 32 hour delay in reaching out destination.

(BTW...I apologize to all the Indianapolis Colts fans whose team lost the game to the Bills. I sincerely hope it was not because the players were awakened in their hotel room in Buffalo in the middle of the night by a lady in an adjacent room yelling at the airline CSR).

At the end of the call, I demanded compensation and was offered $300/ticket. I believed that this was insufficient and said so:
-32 hour delay, 2 people missing work, kids missing school
-added expenses..hotel, rental car (2 extra days), parking, dog kenneling, etc.
-Extremely poor customer service rendered by inept ICC CSR

The CS manager, whom I eventually demanded to deal with, said that that was all he was authorized to offer but, if I felt it was not enough, I should accept it and write a letter for additional compensation on my return.

Now I am having second thoughts about having accepted the initial offer at all. Does the mere acceptance of that offer preclude me for asking for anything else? Would I have been better to refuse and see what I could get afterward or would refusing mean that I risked not being compensated at all?

2. Another disastrous international itinerary which involved a 4500 mile detour, an additional stop, lost luggage (eventually returned), overnight expenses and a 2 1/2 day delay.

No compensation was initially offered. When a letter was sent, CS came back with only a $250 voucher. This didn't even cover the overnight expenses.

Do I have any recourse for requesting more equitable amount?

I will add that this was a UA ticket but LH was ultimately at fault. UA's response mentioned the inability to displace other ticketed passengers to arrange my transportation but that was not even remotely the basis for the complaint.

Has anyone had good luck going back to demand more??

Last edited by msk6261; Jan 18, 10 at 12:50 pm

Search this Thread