Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA New Airport Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2003, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
UA New Airport Policy

At two airports for certain (DEN and ORD), and maybe more, somebody at United came up with the bright idea of rotating the airport agents from the gates to ticketing to check-in, etc.... This makes no sense as a 1K like me had to wait 30 minutes today for an agent who had no ticketing experience to have me sign for transferring of a confirmed upgrade.

The City Ticket Office people were able to do this task in 5 minutes, and the former dedicated agents were able to do this in 5 minutes as well. Some even took less time.

If United is trying to really focus on the business travelers as they emerge from bankruptcy protection, does it not make sense to staff areas with the same people? Further, taking thirty minutes to do a five minute job ends up costing United money in the long run.

Be sure to allow extra time on any matter like this until United goes back to the dedicated agent staffing as was the norm in the past.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 5:03 pm

Location: SYD: Fly and fly... UA UGS 1K MM, SQ PPS, SPG/PC Platinum
Not an excuse for inadequate training on UA's part.

But agents are no monkeys. They need variety in their work and changes are required to maintain moral in their work place or they'll walk. So it's a case that we are the training guinea pigs. Well, that's life I guess...
Old Jun 15, 2003, 6:13 pm

If it's any consolation (I bet it's not), UA is not alone with this problem. The AA ticketing counter at OGG is supposed to be open from 9:30a to 10:30p. The other evening I needed to have a very simple award ticketed (the interisland HA award). I had to wait almost 30 minutes for the only agent who knew how to do it, who at the time was working the gates. In fact, I might have had to wait longer if I hadn't, politely but firmly, complained.

I'm not sure if AA contracts its TA's and GA's from HA at this airport, but there are very few agents who know what they're doing when it comes to ticketing, and I do question the wisdom of having the only agent capable of handling a variety of tix up at the gates.

Old Jun 15, 2003, 7:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I actually thought it was kind of cool that the agent who checked me in at LaGuardia was able to finish the conversation as he was taking my boarding pass at the gate.

If it were me I too would want some variety in my job, and hey, think of all the chances to get poked and prodded going through security during the day.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 6:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Some of this may well be contract stuff. I know that the staffing of the RCCs has been forced to a bid system over the past year with the result that some great RCC folks now are on the counter and some clueless ones appear in clubs. Not a UA management choice.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by honu:
I'm not sure if AA contracts its TA's and GA's from HA at this airport, but there are very few agents who know what they're doing when it comes to ticketing, and I do question the wisdom of having the only agent capable of handling a variety of tix up at the gates. </font>
I have a feeling that the GAs in OGG are contracted from HA because if you log on to the AA careers website (I was bored...), you'll find that there is no job "option" for CSRs for Kahului (OGG). In this case, I'm sure AA would like to minimize any costs associated with contracting employees, which would explain why you had the long wait.

In any case, I do agree that with the hours posted an airline ticket counter should have trained and knowledgeable people working to suit the needs of customers. IMHO, however, if OGG staff are HA contracted employees, then I'd assume such employees would be very unfamiliar with AA's policies, etc. It still is no excuse for your wait and from one kama'aina to another, I'm sorry you were inconvenienced.

As a close friend of a HNL UA GA, I've been told that this policy has not been affect in HNL, but I'm sure it will only be a little bit until such is enforced.

Aloha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.