Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can I use my elite benefits for others? (check-in, boarding, etc.) [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I use my elite benefits for others? (check-in, boarding, etc.) [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2010, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

The GA might complain if you board on the red or non red lane either way, so you might as well all use the red lane. Fwiw, the last couple times I've traveled w/ my family, we've used the red carpet lane without incident.
Old May 26, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Travelling LHR-SFO-LHR using the *A lounge at LHR, 2 adults, 1 child, they had to be persuaded to allow my daughter in, and the same happened at the SFO lounge. As for the boarding, all go on with me as a 1K.
If you were entering the lounge based on your *G status (not RCC membership) then they were correct in trying not to let you in with 2 companions as the benefit for *Gs is for one guest (either wife or a child). Trust me, LHR folks are not alone in this - try getting into one of LH lounges with more than 1 guest.
Old May 26, 2010, 3:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Interesting question though.. normally when you're all on the same PNR doesn't everyone get the same boarding group? The interesting part is that now 1K's don't get a boarding group..their BP just says 1K. So in this case, what will the other BP's say? Group 1? Blank? I have not traveled on a multi person PNR since they moved 1K's out of group 1... so I don't know the answer. Someone enlighten me .
I travel with my currently-3P wife frequently on the same PNR. My BP says "1K," and hers has "Seating 1" on it as a 3P. Never had a problem boarding us via red carpet together; I simply hand both BPs to the GA to avoid any question of whether we're traveling together or not.

We did have the check-in moat dragon in IAD deny her entry to the domestic F / 1K check-in, even though she was traveling with me. I didn't feel like arguing with the agent, and as my wife wasn't checking a bag, I printed her BP from Mr. Chicken while the counter agent took care of my bag.
Old May 26, 2010, 3:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You should not have any problems all boarding together though the Red Carpet.

As long as there is space, there whould also not be any problems getting into the RCC's.
Old May 26, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TechnoPagan
The only time I had an issues was when traveling with four family members (all of us seated together) on separate PNRs (award tickets, from each individuals account, me on a revenue ticket) at PHL (go figure).
Curious about when this happened. Recently? Because it has never happened to me at PHL and I've done this with basically every GA that works there.
Old May 26, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by endrond
I think a good rule of thumb is that you should board together if and only if you are seated together.
+1 this is my general rule of thumb as well. I usually hand in the boarding cards together. (Two of us.)
Old May 26, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Curious about when this happened. Recently? Because it has never happened to me at PHL and I've done this with basically every GA that works there.
This past January (1/7/2010 to be exact). This was actually my first flight out of PHL (relocated from IAD) - and the first time flying with this many family members on different PNRs (although the GA did not know that, she just looked at the boarding passes and said they could not board with me and we all stepped to the side).

It really wasn't a big deal, I just wanted to know if I was right or wrong (still not really sure ). Seems we were more of a PITA standing off to the side of the red carpet until general boarding was allowed, at which time the rest of my party boarded while I talked to the 1K desk and waited for the SD.

I was really impressed with him (the SD), he listened to my concern, explained what the GAs are told, I apologized for being a PITA, he apologized, we shook hands and parted at the aircraft door. Then came on about 5 minutes later and informed me that an apology email was forthcoming (wasn't necessary, but certainly appreciated).
Old May 26, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Akulashark
I have a trip coming up where I am taking the entire family (wife and two children) to Hawaii. Booked on reward tickets.

When boarding, I am sure there is plenty of opinion on this, should we board over the red carpet?

I booked the tickets all together on one PNR, and we are seated in E+ for all the segments, I just want to hear opinion about it. Personally I feel as though I should be able to board all together, over the red carpet, but YMMV. Let me know how you would handle this.

Also, my RCC membership says I can bring my spouse and minor children in with me, can I really have 3 guests if they are my family?
1) RCC allows unlimited guests if they are spouse or minor children.
2) You can board over the red carpet. Highest boarding position controls.

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Sometimes the GA makes an announcement that if you are boarding with others who have later boarding numbers then you should all board in the latest number of the group. Not all GA's say it though.
Originally Posted by madnes
Hmm, I have only ever heard the opposite. (Board with the lowest number in your group)
I'm in the same boat as madnes and others. I have only ever heard to board with the lowest number in the group.
Old May 26, 2010, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
1) RCC allows unlimited guests if they are spouse or minor children....
Only true if you are a UA RCC member accessing UA RCC. Not if you are *G accessing UA RCC, or UA RCC members accessing non-UA lounges.@:-)

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Travelling LHR-SFO-LHR using the *A lounge at LHR, 2 adults, 1 child, they had to be persuaded to allow my daughter in, and the same happened at the SFO lounge. As for the boarding, all go on with me as a 1K.
They were just following the *A rules.

Star Alliance Gold Customers Travelling in Any Class: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance............Customer is entitled to one guest
http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 26, 2010 at 8:39 pm Reason: merge
Old May 27, 2010, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by TerryK
Only true if you are a UA RCC member accessing UA RCC. Not if you are *G accessing UA RCC, or UA RCC members accessing non-UA lounges.@:-)

They were just following the *A rules.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/
Yes, it would be nice if the rules were updated to allow family members to accompany you in the lounge though.
Old May 27, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: United 1K Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
I agree. It's for sure not 100% Kosher but I have done this kind of thing as a 1K (mainly on the phone to the 1K desk) and the agents are always helpful - especially if one is upfront and tell them it's not quite a legit request. Why their help? Well, I bet you any money that these traveler friends are traveling UA and not DL or AA or whoever precisely because one is a UA 1K and these friends have had a free of charge UA sales pitch done on them by the 1K that is much more effective than any advert, discount, you name it etc. I tell people basically, "this is what you are doing - unless you want to do it on your own". And sometimes they do it on their own. And they screw up most of the time. Not being a "know it all" - it's just a fact - you can't travel twice a year and know this game.
I think this hits the nail on the head - while United doesn't officially allow the "transfer of benefits" they recognize that a zero-status friend or family member of a 1K would be flying Southwest otherwise. I've been treated very well both times I used my "1Kness" to assist family members during irrops.

Once was earlier this year when my sister and I traveled together from BWI to ORD to my grandfathers funeral. Even with the "discount", the last-minute tickets were $20 more on United on Southwest, but told my sister I'd pay the extra $40. The big snow storm (Snow-bama) hit while were out there, but as soon as it cleared, they scored us both stand-by tickets and when they switched our 320 for a 757, we scored upgrades.

When my mother-in-law had a situation flying back from Australia where a mechanical in SFO caused her to get in late to ORD and then weather prevented from getting her to TPA that night, they could have easily blamed weather and had her sleep in the terminal. But I really think the fact the tickets ran across my credit card and she had 3P status gifted from my wife (also a 1K) had a lot to do with them picking up the hotel. If not for that 3P benefit and E+, she would have been flying Qantas which has a MUCH better basic economy product at the same price.

So there's about $2000 in tickets sold they'd never sell if they didn't allow "bending" of status to family. And two customers that would NEVER fly United again if not for that treatment (my sister would be stuck in the snow and my mother-in-law sleeping in an ORD terminal). It's good business sense and why they identify "elites".

I think AA does the same. Flying back and forth from PTY (no good *A carriers to Panama), our father-in-law gets us through the elite line every time, even though he wasn't flying with us. But he's on a first-name basis with all the employees there and does paid international F about 8-10 times a year from there.

If AA and QF didn't do that 50% miles on reasonably priced tickets BS, we'd have some status with them. (I refuse to acknowledge the term "discount" economy cause I'm still paying the "full" fare someone has to pay.
Old May 27, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
I've only ever heard the 'board with the lowest number in your group' announcements as well.
I to have only heard it this way, but not very frequently.

As to boarding together, I bring my family over the red carpet every time. My usual technique is that I hand all four BPs to the GA at the same time with my 1K BP on top and the other (non and lower level status) BPs fanned out beneath mine. Works every time...
I do the exact same, and only once has it not worked. A GA in LAX separated out our passes, and said, "No only you can board, she can not board with you, she has to wait for her zone." My PB says 1K, her's Prem Exec.

It was an A319, I was the only 1K, she boarded a few seconds later. That was an odd one. And quite funny.
Old May 27, 2010, 2:28 pm
e20

Programs: United 1K 1MM, HHonor ex-Gold, IC ex-Plat.
Red face Family of 4 is OK most of the time

Traveling often on UA with wife (in C) and 2 teenagers (in Y), I (1K) never had a single problem to use 'elite' check-in line on UA & *A.

Access to RCC was always OK but *A lounges are more difficult, you can kindly ask but this all you can do (not even think to try on SQ BTW, inflexible).

Boarding all at the same time, I simply say 'they travel with me, may we board together?' Always get a positive answer.

I understand that this is not within the rule but all agents are smart enough to understand the principle anyway :-)

-éric
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
I'll be going from HNL-MCO with 11 of us later this year. All related (kids and grandkids) but it does feel a bit weird to be able to board early because I'm a 1K but, hey, beats having to fight the crowd on the grey carpet.

Wonder if the RCC will permit me coming in with five grandkids. Shall I just say I had kids in my fifties?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 1:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by honmani2
...Wonder if the RCC will permit me coming in with five grandkids. Shall I just say I had kids in my fifties?
Grandkids would not get access as a immediate family member. And neither would their parents (since they would not be considered dependents -- regardless of the reality ). Beleive the policy is immedaite family - spouse and dependent minor childern. (realize the posting was half joking)

Personnally I would not try to bring such a large family group for earlier boarding as the guest of a single elite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.