Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United flight makes emergency landing at Newark Airport after landing gear trouble

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United flight makes emergency landing at Newark Airport after landing gear trouble

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
so was nobody on this flight from the FT community?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:34 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by RichG
Thank you for the comment regarding fuel dumping. Now I can't find the reference to it I saw earlier. It might have been corrected, or it may have been someone's assumption mentioned during an interview. I'll correct the post above.
Usually they fly over at least once for visual confirmation of whatever is wrong (i.e. a landing gear not down) unless the emergency is so severe that they cannot wait for that or it is not possible (i.e. Sioux City.)
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Originally Posted by dhammer53
UA 232. Only a Flyertalker would remember the flight number.

It was a sad day. If you were around then, you remember this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_232
Actually, those of us who worked for the airline at the time remember it pretty well, too! One of my coworkers was best friends with the pilot riding as a passenger who came forward to help. Another had the maintenance records locked in the data base before most of even knew anything had happened.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:20 am

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
It's no coincidence that United hasn't had a pilot caused accident in over 30 years. It comes from a safety culture that we have taught to us the moment we arrive at United. Managements come and go, and if they attempt to cut corners to save $$, it's the flight crews that bring that to a stop. Without that culture of safety, I doubt that would happen. While I may be sad with where United is and how it treats its employees, I couldn't be happier to be associated with a group of professional aviatars like the United pilot group.

AD
I agree with other posters. This is EXACTLY why I fly UA. Everything else is just noise.

^
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH, HH DIAMOND, MR GOLD
Question for AD, axl, or whomever. The photo from airliners.net shows the gear hung-up on the door. When everything works as intended, does the door open and gear drop at a specified rate, using hydraulic mechanisms, so that the gear clears the door with a predetermined minimum clearance, or is it sequenced, allowing the gear to drop and lock only after the door reaches the fully open position?
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
Interesting - they don't mess around deciding to come down with no wheels. I could have imagined they'd circle trying to get the wheels down and getting rid of gas. They must have it all figured out which is good to know.
Originally Posted by fastair
Usually they fly over at least once for visual confirmation of whatever is wrong (i.e. a landing gear not down) unless the emergency is so severe that they cannot wait for that or it is not possible (i.e. Sioux City.)
As Axl correctly stated, United, as well as many airlines, have gone to flying with the minimum legal fuel load now so as to save $$. Unfortunately, that 45 min of extra gas is computed at 25,000' at long range cruise speed, not down low to the ground with gear extended working a problem. That 45 min goes to 15 min, so not a lot of time to work checklists, talk with maintenance, prepare the cabin, set up for an approach and land. It really compresses the timeframe. It can take 10 min to just run the emergency gear verification and extension checklists where we crank the gear down. That's why 99% of the pilots actually add some extra fuel each flight, just for the "what-ifs" like this.

Actually, we unlock the doors and let the gear fall into position via gravity, not really cranking them down like in the old B-17.

Originally Posted by BOOMER339
Question for AD, axl, or whomever. The photo from airliners.net shows the gear hung-up on the door. When everything works as intended, does the door open and gear drop at a specified rate, using hydraulic mechanisms, so that the gear clears the door with a predetermined minimum clearance, or is it sequenced, allowing the gear to drop and lock only after the door reaches the fully open position?
Normally they are extended and retracted hydraulically and via actuators. They are timed so that an acuator opens the gear door, once it is open the deploy actuator comes on and deploys the gear, and once that is down and locked another actuator brings the gear doors back up. If you have a hangup in the system, you can try and reset it by cycling the gear handle, and after that you can manually lower the gear by manually unlocking the gear doors and hopefully the gear comes down by gravity. However, if the gear door is jammed up for some reason, or you can't get the hydraulic pressure to come off the door for some reason, it can get stuck closed and thus the gear can't come down, as in this case.

AD

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Jan 11, 2010 at 9:16 am
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
It seems to me that unless there was a risk of fire, they could have evacuated via a portable staircase, just like the air berlin over-shoot:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/trav...0104-lnny.html

Though I am no expert, I understand that people can be injured on those slides, breaking ankles, etc. Certainly, if there were elderly people on that flight, I could see how having them slide down those evacuation slides could seriously hurt them. Was this just a knee-jerk reaction to the landing, or do you think they really needed the slides to get out quickly? Any thoughts?
I don't want to play Monday morning quarterback, but AF 358 certainly shows that a quick evacuation can be a very good thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_358).

I have absolutely no idea what guidance crews are given in these cases... but I imagine that if there's any doubt about the safety of remaining on board, slide evacuation is the way to go. The risk of remaining on board until an extreme situation presents itself is likely a lot higher than the risk of relatively minor injuries that would be expected from the slides.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
It's no coincidence that United hasn't had a pilot caused accident in over 30 years. It comes from a safety culture that we have taught to us the moment we arrive at United. Managements come and go, and if they attempt to cut corners to save $$, it's the flight crews that bring that to a stop. Without that culture of safety, I doubt that would happen. While I may be sad with where United is and how it treats its employees, I couldn't be happier to be associated with a group of professional aviatars like the United pilot group.

AD
^^^ And if I might add, UA went through the entire decade of the 2000s without a fatality, and I believe since 1991 with only one fatality due to clear air turbulence. UA is one safe airline.

9/11 of course cannot count against UA for its superb safety record.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Well i guess UA has one less narrow body for a while.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
That's why 99% of the pilots actually add some extra fuel each flight, just for the "what-ifs" like this.
Am I correct in saying the captain has the final say on the amount of fuel carried on the flight? (within reason)
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: General member, former 1P
Originally Posted by dliesse
Actually, those of us who worked for the airline at the time remember it pretty well, too!
Not to veer too far OT, but Iowans not only know "Flight 232" but can tell you where they were when they heard the news. I was in high school, cutting someone's grass on Ingersoll Avenue. While it was the worst transportation disaster in Iowa history in terms of lives lost -- 112 dead -- 189 survived. It still makes me proud to be an Iowan and proud to be associated with UA, even as a lowly leisure passenger.

If you have time, the transcript of a lengthy -- but mesmerizing -- speech by Capt. Al Haynes about Flight 232

Kudos to the crew at EWR.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by HaeMaker
Am I correct in saying the captain has the final say on the amount of fuel carried on the flight? (within reason)
The Captain and dispatcher must agree on the fuel load. Neither can change it without the agreement of the other and the flight can't leave until they agree.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Originally Posted by whakojacko
fascinating picture:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Unite...131/1638252/M/
Looks like the door jammed thus the wheels wouldnt deploy.
Congrats to the pilots for a landing with no injuries.
Wow - that is an amazing photo! I always imagined that the RAT (ram air turbine) would be located near the nose...very interesting.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
This incident is another example of the excellent training and experience that UA mainline pilots have. It is the main reason that I have continued to fly UA since 1985 and will continue to do so. Congrats to the crew of 634 for the excellent landing and evacuation! ^
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
Most narrowbody 2 engine aircraft don't have fuel dumping capability, 737, 757, A320/319, etc. I believe the 767 could, but I don't remember for sure. They would just burn down fuel to the acceptable level, then land the plane.
My guess is, there's a tradeoff between burning off fuel to reduce fire hazard and getting the plane on the ground sooner rather than later. My father is a retired US pilot (flew 737s for 30 years) and says that in a situation like this it's PROBABLY more about talking to ATC and getting the plane and passengers ready and checklist operations as opposed to burning off fuel.

Random musings on fuel dumping:
I know that newer 767s (-400s and I *believe* -300s) can dump fuel, not sure about the older ones. You can very easily see the fuel dump valve on the rear of the wing at least on CO 767-400s. Virtually every large widebody allows fuel dumping. The requirement for fuel dumping is essentially driven by the difference between the Max Take-off Weight (MTOW) and the max landing weight (MLW) of the aircraft.

On something like an A319, the difference is only around 7000lbs, which you would burn most of just to taxi out and get the thing off the ground... so you don't really HAVE to have the capability to dump fuel.

However, if you look at something like a 747-400, you're talking about an airplane that can take off at 200,000 pounds heavier than it can land... so when you have a major emergency just after taking off with a full load from LAX-SYD, you've got to have some way to lose a LOT of weight quickly. ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.