Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Check to avoid fees?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
Gate Check to avoid fees?

Haven't been flying a lot recently, but I saw a strange occurrence...

Was in RDU waiting to board. GA announced that this was a full flight, if anyone would like to check their bag for free she'd be happy to do it. Almost immediately there were about 10 people in line with bags to check.

Granted, I didn't see any that were too big to carry on, but it seems like a trick for non-status PAX to try to dodge the baggage charge.

Anyone else see this?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat. Ex: DL PM, AA EXP, VX Gold,
Yup, family has done it before...I think its relatively common.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA S
seen this on several full flights recently, where the GAs think theyll have to gate check bags at the end and thus want to save time. I certainly appreciate it (of course I never gate check mine, but I dont have to worry about not getting overhead bin space )
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Twice now I've also seen them offering the opportunity to board with group 1 if you check your bag before they start boarding, regardless of your original boarding group.

They were primarily targeting this to people to group 4 on the basis that there wouldn't be any room available by the time they came to board.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
Can not speak for RDU, but at the hubs, bag has to be carryon size and no more than 2 to get thru security. Hard to game the system by thinking you can walk bags too large to be considered carryon thru security and beat a charge
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, HH Gold, and SPG Gold
That's because GA offered gate check. If he didn't and you ask whether you can gate-check your bag, he will charge you according to my experience (before I obtained my status).
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:21 am
djx

Programs: UA 2P, AA Gold, Delta Silver (The lowest tier trifecta)
As long as the flight is fairly full I don't see any reason why a GA wouldn't say no if someone asked
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: United, Delta
I've always wondered about this, are these gate checked bags waiting when you get off the plane or do you have to go to baggage claim to wait for them?

I've only done gate checking on one of the little express jets, so those bags were waiting when I got off the plane...
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by FTconnie
I've always wondered about this, are these gate checked bags waiting when you get off the plane or do you have to go to baggage claim to wait for them?

I've only done gate checking on one of the little express jets, so those bags were waiting when I got off the plane...
You have to go to baggage claim. Plane-side pickup is only available on the United Express flights.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Gate Check on UX - Most often returned at gate/tarmac (although some travellers have reported having to go to baggage claim at some stations).

Gate Check on UA - Baggage sent to baggage claim for retrieval.

That's been my experience, anyhow.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Genius!

Originally Posted by docbert
Twice now I've also seen them offering the opportunity to board with group 1 if you check your bag before they start boarding, regardless of your original boarding group.

They were primarily targeting this to people to group 4 on the basis that there wouldn't be any room available by the time they came to board.
Somebody thinks like one of us! That is a good strategy to afford group 3-4 a chance to avoid spawning upstream with that bewildered look that speaks of "OH DEAR WHERE WILL MY BAG GO NOW!".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.