Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-Any operational changes on DOMESTIC flights? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-Any operational changes on DOMESTIC flights? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Phil Level
Those player are made by Archos. I really like them, so much that I bought my own, but it's a different model, the "Internet Media Tablet". With the addition of Go-Go to PS, the unit I have is a blast, and between movies, email, and posting on FT, the time really flies by ^

Some of the models have GPS functions. Not the one I have, or at least I don't think it does.
Right. And PS flights have GoGo, has it been active since the DL incident?

Originally Posted by Teeejay
I was on yesterday's flight #1 from ORD-HNL. There wasn't much more security at ORD than in prior weeks but the in-flight map was turned off so you couldn't monitor the flight path. Also, normally the pilots announce the path of flight to Honolulu but this was not done. There was no ATC on channel 9 either.

Our flight left about 90 minutes late due to mechanical issues and we arrived at 5pm to beautiful and warm weather. It was great coming home to Honolulu after leaving the snow and cold of Chicago.
Thanks. This is the kind of information I was looking for. It looks like on this flight UA is applying something like the international rules to a domestic flight, not due to a TSA directive but rather a choice by UA or a particular crew. And enjoy HNL, it isnt too warm back in these parts

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 28, 2009 at 7:08 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Right. And PS flights have GoGo, has it been active since the DL incident?
I'd be curious to know - someone could easily go to flightaware.com and follow the flight's path and progress.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonZ750a/R1DB Browser/NetFront/3.4 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

Just landed on UA 10, SFO-JFK. All as normal. Can't speak to GoGo, we didn't use it, but all else was SOP.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by as219
Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonZ750a/R1DB Browser/NetFront/3.4 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

Just landed on UA 10, SFO-JFK. All as normal. Can't speak to GoGo, we didn't use it, but all else was SOP.
Great. Thanks for the input. My first few flights this year are domestic. I was thinking of taking a group of people to EDI for a meeting but may let the dust settle a bit. Jan/Feb isnt exactly a great time to go there anyways
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by frogface63
I'm wondering about this as well as I'm flying HNL-DEN next week. Teeejay, were you allowed to use blankets/pillows for the last hour of flight?
Yes. There was no noticeable change in the flight except for the in-flight map disconnection.

As an aside, it was a bit nostalgic being on a UA 3 class aircraft to HNL. I've been flying this route for 25 years at least 15 times per year and I think it's been at least a decade since UA had a regularly scheduled HNL-ORD 3 class flight. I could really get used to it
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Just one data point, but channel 9 was on for one of my domestic flights today. Captain even made an announcement that it would be on, so I know it wasn't by accident.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
Just one data point, but channel 9 was on for one of my domestic flights today. Captain even made an announcement that it would be on, so I know it wasn't by accident.
Thanks. Another good data point. The TSA pronouncement does specifically say inbound international flights. Just hoping at least that it doesnt spread beyond that.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by Teeejay
Yes. There was no noticeable change in the flight except for the in-flight map disconnection.

As an aside, it was a bit nostalgic being on a UA 3 class aircraft to HNL. I've been flying this route for 25 years at least 15 times per year and I think it's been at least a decade since UA had a regularly scheduled HNL-ORD 3 class flight. I could really get used to it
we are flying home...ditto on the "could get used to it" and glad to hear that security isn't more buearucratic for domestic flights.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:40 pm

Programs: UAL 1K
Today, ua 62 lih-sfo: ch 9 on and IFE was normal. Blankets and pillows too and only last 20 min seatbeat sign on. Hopefully it'll be as normal on flight to dulles tuesday!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:25 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sfo12345
Has anyone experienced any changes in flights from HI? Am flight lih-sfo today and would rather not be without pillow and blanket the last hour
Originally Posted by karenkay
i'm curious about this as well.

my parents are headed to hawaii in january...although to be fair, by mid january when they're traveling the rules will likely have changed yet again.
Originally Posted by frogface63
I'm wondering about this as well as I'm flying HNL-DEN next week. Teeejay, were you allowed to use blankets/pillows for the last hour of flight?
Today HNL-SFO all was as usual. Channel 9 was on (I thanked the Captain twice after the flight). Books, purses on laps, blankets on laps; all in my row and no one said a thing. They just made the standard announcement about not congregating near the cockpit. They didn't have any issue with people strolling the aisles, there was no timer clock for the loo , the flight was entirely normal, including the FAs sitting in their seats staring at US Magazine. I was expecting worse after the posts I read on FT.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, AS MVPG
And one more (somewhat) related data point: this evening's UA907, ORD-SFO on an internationally-configured 767, IFE and the map were all working as normal in C and F.

Only real operational change I noticed was the flight being 2 hours late because of the late inbound aircraft from Europe.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, Avis Preferred
Has anyone seen any consequences on UA domestic flights as a result of all this foolishness? I know some of the international flights are following these ridiculous (and oh-so-hopefully-temporary-through-12/30) rules, but have any overzealous domestic flights gotten overly panicky, i.e. restricting carry-on, gate screenings, IFE troubles, etc.?

Also, anyone flying UA with KIDS on flights following these new restrictions? I have a friend flying YYC-DEN on Wednesday with a well-behaved but energetic two-year-old. Are they really going to make her keep things like stuffed puppies and childrens' books off of her lap? Because that two year old is NOT going to make it a full hour until landing by staring at the tray table. Has anyone seen examples of how UA is dealing with the theoretical restriction of toddlers getting strapped to a seat, banned from Mommy's lap and potty breaks, and denied any toys to play with? I mean, lots of families traveling over the holidays.

Fortunately I'm flying DEN-BOS on Friday, then BOS-IAD-MUC-IAD-BOS later in January - hopefully security measures have settled back down to the usual level of breathtaking incompetence by then...
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat
SFO-IAD yesterday on an international 777 - IFE was normal except no channel 9 and map channel had a blue screen with the message "select another channel."
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:55 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
IAD-SFO yesterday (12/27) on an A320 and nothing different about the flight -- indeed, exceptional service.

Channel 9 definitely on, with the pilot periodically coming on to announce the football scores.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:45 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note

Members, please keep posts here focused on UA domestic operations. General discussion of airline security/TSA/news reports have been deleted but are welcome to be discussed in FT's Travel Safety/Security forum. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.