Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K [0.280MM since Feb 25, '02], UA Red Carpet Club, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Good! I'm in Singapore right now, flying home next week, hopefully after this idiocy dies down.

Really, I can't imagine any Asian country allowing itself to get caught up this way, overreacting to one wacko setting himself on fire. Asian countries hate to look ridiculous. The United States apparently doesn't mind at all, and Canada has seemingly entered a competition for most ridiculous country of all! Thank goodness I have no travel to Canada planned for the near future. I would cancel it for sure.

Bruce
I dare you to arrive in PVG or PEK with a slight fever and be quarantined, and let's see your high opinion of Asian countries survive the ordeal...
Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:03 am

Programs: DL, UA, Avianca, Mariott Gold
Channel 9 after christmas Accident

After all the new rules since the christmas accident not being able to get out of your seat in the last hour and turning of the inflight map during international flights. I was wondering if United would keep channel 9 and if any one has heard anything on this.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Mastodon Flyer
Not to mention that anybody with a watch can predict when the flight is about to start descending. Maybe UAL will start confiscating our timepieces next. Or keeping arrival times secret.
Yes, that will be their next restriction : "no timepieces allowed on board" and 'all electronic equip must remain off during the entire flight".
Old Jan 1, 2010, 4:56 am

Ua975 gva-iad

Flew UA975 GVA-IAD yesterday.

We were strongly urged to check our carry-ons during check-in, which we were told would be free. As our carry-ons only contained fragile items (laptops , cameras) and items we needed for our baby, we declined.

There was a second screening prior to boarding. Carry-ons were inspected manually, and we had a full-body pat-down. The actual inspection was pretty swift, but with only three people to check the bags, the line at the gate was very long and slow. Even so, all were on board in time for a on-time departure.

During the flight, it appeared to be very much business as usual. The IFE was on, including the map. No requests were made for people to remain seated until the normal time; no restrictions were placed on blankets or other items. I didn't think to check if channel 9 was on.

So, basically, nothing different from normal except for the additional inspection prior to boarding.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew SNA/SFO/PVG yesterday. The usual security in SNA. I picked the line with Mr. Bagcheck (I'm sure he's known to SNA regulars). I had my passport in my shirt pocket. Mr. Bagcheck, who was manning the scanner, said, "Anything metal in your pocket?" I said, "No." He said, what's in your pocket?" I said, "My boarding passes and my passport." He said, "You have a wallet in your pocket." I said, "No, I have my boarding passes and my passport." He said, "That's a wallet." I said, "No, it's a passport," and took it out and waved it at him. He grunted (Mr. Charm) and I went through the WTMD. Except for the usual bagcheck, it was the normal screening. I went out for a cigarette later and returned through security -- again no problems. The Shoe Carnival is in full force, however -- first time through, shoes couldn't go in bins, second time through they could. I feel so much safer.

At SFO, I took the airside corridor to get to the international terminal. I hung out in the RCC (they actually offered me my two drink coupons). After a while, I wanted a cigarette, so I went outside and came back in through international security. Again, no problems whatsoever -- a short wait, inspection of my passport with the Secret Blue Light and Decoder Ring, walk through the WTMD, and then retrieve my shoes.

Incidentally, I had my new Scottevest Coat of Many Pockets, with virtually all my use-on-board electronics in it (iPod, Bose headphones, extended batteries, phone, Blackberry, etc. I just dumped in a bin and it went right through.

On-board, nothing new in the way of security. Before we landed at PVG, the FA announced that the pilot would be putting on the seatbelt fastened light 20 minutes before landing and we shouldn't get up once it was on. Nonetheless, I saw some people still standing once it went on -- the FA asked them to sit, but in a "you shouldn't be up when the sign is on" way, rather than security paranoia. As are most trans-pac crossings this time of year, we hit patches of moderate turbulence -- FAs were asked to remain seated a couple of times -- and, of course, the seat belt sign was lit during these times. The same requests from the FA for those who chose to ignore it, so I suspect the last 20 minutes announcement wasn't a security thing.

We had full IFE, including Airshow. Some of the information in Airshow wasn't there, however. We had the map, elapsed time in flight, headwinds, airspeed, ETA and altitude, but we did not have time to destination. I guess the assumption is that Al Qaidiots can't do math. I didn't check for Channel 9 as I was pretty much exhausted and slept most of the way.

I should add that the FAs on this flight were terrific -- friendly and efficient. Though I was in E+, this was a 777, I had a window seat and the aisle seat next to me was empty -- what I call First Class light. All-in-all, one of the more pleasant crossings I've had.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
One more datapoint:

UA922 daytime IAD-LHR on 12/27 - no changes at all. Full power, IFE, including map, and no "sit your butt down" silliness. ^
We were on UA922 IAD-LHR on 12/26 in XC, we got screwed:

1) No IFE at all.
2) Power plugs did not work
3) FA Call button did not work (some of the call lights were on and some were off, but the buttons could not change the status)
4) Overhead lights did not work.

There were no carry-on or other restrictions.

It was rather frustrating considering I knew we had old C on the way home, and I now see that these 'security' measures were not even required on outbound international flights.

Both Mrs. Smashr and I did recieve compensation e-mails from UA, but I am likely going to write 1P voice. Somehow the usual offers seem a little light compared to the 210,000 RDM + taxes I spent on this trip...

Return was UA917 from FRA-IAD on 12/31 and was relatively normal. We were questioned about our carryons at boarding, but not searched. IFE was on, map was on, but not displaying the flight path. It did show our general area and arrival time.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K [0.280MM since Feb 25, '02], UA Red Carpet Club, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by smashr
We were on UA922 IAD-LHR on 12/26 in XC, we got screwed:

1) No IFE at all.
2) Power plugs did not work
3) FA Call button did not work (some of the call lights were on and some were off, but the buttons could not change the status)
4) Overhead lights did not work.

There were no carry-on or other restrictions.

It was rather frustrating considering I knew we had old C on the way home, and I now see that these 'security' measures were not even required on outbound international flights.

Both Mrs. Smashr and I did recieve compensation e-mails from UA, but I am likely going to write 1P voice. Somehow the usual offers seem a little light compared to the 210,000 RDM + taxes I spent on this trip...

Return was UA917 from FRA-IAD on 12/31 and was relatively normal. We were questioned about our carryons at boarding, but not searched. IFE was on, map was on, but not displaying the flight path. It did show our general area and arrival time.
This is hardly surprising considering that your outbound flight was within 24 hrs of the NW incident, ie, at the height of the madness.

IMHO, UA's compensatory email should be sufficient as, by most accounts, things have now returned to normal, even for inbound flights. Any deviations from the norm should be attributed to the crew, who should then be denounced.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat.), UA, DL, Hertz (Club Gold), Avis, Hilton (Diamond VIP), Starwood, Marriott
Was on UA 838, NRT-SFO yesterday (12/31) in C. Security at NRT was normal. There was a secondary, mandatory carryon luggage search and body pat down for all passengers on all flights heading to the US. GAs started the boarding process a bit earlier. We pushed back about 5 minutes late. IFE and airshow worked fine. No other unusual restrictions. Nice flight. Only bad part was the uncooperative winds, which put us into SFO late.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
UA882 NRT-ORD today (1/1) was normal as well. I wouldn't call the secondary carry-on searches & patdowns at NRT exactly normal. But they were quick--in fact more a matter of glancing than searching. IFE on the flight was working.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 2:30 pm

Arrived in Chicago on UA959 from London yesterday, Dec 31. One carry on requested by check-in agent. BAA security as usual. No shoes off or other enforcement.

We were asked by the Star lounge agent to wait in the lounge until called. Which we did. It was about 1400 for a 1525 departure and the sign already said 'boarding'.

Business was called about 1430.

When we got to the gate, all the main cabin pax had been screened and after a short wait in line we proceeded to the hand check cubicles.

A very thorough search of body and bags ensued. Certainly, in my cubicle, the guy would have found a bite sized Snickers bar if I had it taped to my body. There were four cubicles running with a guy and girl in each.

No flight delay, left on time. Full IFE and map available, including distance traveled, with no unusual security requests.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Similar story - arrived in Chicago on UA949 from London yesterday, Dec 31 (12:05 flight). Check in agent made no comment (since I had only one piece of hand luggage) and I boarded with the plane carrying that plus a duty free bag without problem.

Likewise, the Star lounge agent asked us to wait in the lounge until called. The flight showed boarding from about 10:30 onwards, business was called about 11:30.

LHR seems to have built a new mini security screening area close the T1 gates with little turnstile things and security check cubicles. This seems pretty permanent - frosted glass and barriers leading to the gates themselves.

Men and women separated into different lines (previous post noted four cubicles running with a guy and girl in each).

No flight delay, left on time and got in early. Full IFE and map available, including distance traveled, but we did have the security lockdown at 40-60 minutes to go. Seatbelt signs came on but otherwise seemed to be pretty unremarkable. (and then a super long wait for bags at ORD T5).

I was really expecting a much more difficult travel experience but they've clearly reacted correctly. Holding biz passengers in the Star lounge is very smart. I probably ended up boarding more quickly overall than before where you'd end up in a multi-hundred person crush going through the passport and boarding pass check.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by dcshungu
Any deviations from the norm should be attributed to the crew, who should then be denounced.
Agree 100% with this.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dcshungu
This is hardly surprising considering that your outbound flight was within 24 hrs of the NW incident, ie, at the height of the madness.

IMHO, UA's compensatory email should be sufficient as, by most accounts, things have now returned to normal, even for inbound flights. Any deviations from the norm should be attributed to the crew, who should then be denounced.
I think it was highly surprising because UA went way beyond anything TSA asked them to do. In fact, they probably made the flight less safe by keeping off the lights and the call buttons. UA should refund half the FF miles for intentionally creating a bad customer experience.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
United did the same thing on my flight: UA837, SFO-NRT, December 26. I was very, very annoyed, to say the least, especially about not having overhead lights. Thank goodness the flight was entirely in daylight, so we could keep the window-shades open for light. And that's supposed to be a security measure? Someone went completely insane that day. United should be ashamed of itself.

By the way, I've been wondering if disabling the flight-attendant call buttons on my flight violated any FAA regulation. Anyone know the answer?

Bruce
Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM 1k, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Just flew UA862 HKG-SFO today (1/1 arrival) and had a similar experience.

Originally Posted by taipeipeter
UA882 NRT-ORD today (1/1) was normal as well. I wouldn't call the secondary carry-on searches & patdowns at NRT exactly normal. But they were quick--in fact more a matter of glancing than searching. IFE on the flight was working.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.