Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Maybe so. However, TSA announced that the senseless "one-hour" rule is up to the pilot.

I do not understand why passengers must be punished at the tail end of the flight merely because the pilot can impose this restriction. United should require a pilot to show cause when that rule is imposed.

Like I already wrote, when enough passengers decide the abuse is too much, many will not fly United. This will cause United a loss of revenue which it cannot afford.
I totally agree. Useless, ineffective rules that punish the innocent have to be justified far better than merely saying "the pilot can impose this."

Bruce
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K
SFO to LHR 1/12/10

Hello all,

I just registered on FT, and I'm relatively new to to this board. I'm also a newly anointed 1k, so i guess that makes me green all around. I have concerns about my up coming trip SFO-LHR-SFO.

Has anyone have any recent experience on this leg? What should i lookout for? Any tricks?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hgdf
Perhaps UA is "profiling" certain routes.
While personally NO fan of any of those new procedures, I kinda support the spot-check nature of it. It adds an element of "unpredictability" to it - something for the bad guys to labor with.

Last edited by cesco.g; Jan 8, 2010 at 12:43 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
First, welcome to FT, Sconartist.

Second, echoing his question, what experiences (esp. with respect to carry-ons) on routes to and from LHR (I'll be in C if that matters)? Also what about HKG (C or Y)? Thanks much.

Last edited by euslaner; Jan 6, 2010 at 12:48 pm
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Flew GIG-IAD on UA 874 on Jan 4. Pretty much as it has always been, both boarding and in flight. UA has always checked bags when boarding the Brazil flights. Only extra thing was a person with some type of wand which, whenever it beeped when waving it about a person, would cause the wielder to briefly touch the area causing the beep. Very quick process. No Channel 9, but that is often hit or miss anyway. AVOD fully operational including the map, no other restrictions. Didn't start the breakfast serving until within 1 hour prior to landing.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ac-ua
Just flew UA862 HKG-SFO today (1/1 arrival) and had a similar experience.
IIRC, by some report, security at HKG would confiscate all liquids. One guy reported having even two bottles of his duty free wine were taken away. What was your experience?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by qfrodo

Flew GIG-IAD on UA 874 on Jan 4. Pretty much as it has always been, both boarding and in flight. UA has always checked bags when boarding the Brazil flights. Only extra thing was a person with some type of wand which, whenever it beeped when waving it about a person, would cause the wielder to briefly touch the area causing the beep. Very quick process. No Channel 9, but that is often hit or miss anyway. AVOD fully operational including the map, no other restrictions. Didn't start the breakfast serving until within 1 hour prior to landing.
Thanks for the Brazil report. It is good to know that the new nonsense, oops, I mean "rules" were not imposed for your United flight from Brazil.

As you can tell from reading this thread, some United pilots continue to take it upon themselves to impose the "one-hour rule" despite TSA announcing that imposition of the rule is up to the pilot and is not a requirement.

When a United pilot abuses his passengers by imposing this rule, the pilot should be reported to United Airlines along with the passengers request for an explanation why the rule was imposed on the flight.

Clearly, when the pilot imposes the rule, a passenger's comfort is taken away by the pilot. The passenger is stuck in a seat and cannot use the restroom, has no access to carry-on items and must remain with hands showing. In other words, the passenger is regarded by the pilot as a potential terrorist. This is an insult to passengers given that TSA has rescinded the rule and left it up to the pilot to impose.

If enough passengers complain to United about the rule unnecessarily being imposed, pilots that do impose the rule, will be required to explain their reason to management. Eventually, United will instruct pilots to stop imposing this unnecessary rule.

Tomorrow I return to GRU. I will report back with my experience, good or bad.

By the way, it is not UA that examines bags just before you enter the aircraft when departing from GIG and GRU. It is a Brazilian company called Infraero. Many of the same Infraero employees also take care of check-in functions prior to their going to the gate to inspect passenger carry-ons.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by cesco.g
IIRC, by some report, security at HKG would confiscate all liquids. One guy reported having even two bottles of his duty free wine were taken away. What was your experience?
Happened to me in early December. For some reason they did a secondary check of carry-ons for HKG-SFO/SQ.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by Sconartist
Hello all,

I just registered on FT, and I'm relatively new to to this board. I'm also a newly anointed 1k, so i guess that makes me green all around. I have concerns about my up coming trip SFO-LHR-SFO.
Welcome to Flyertalk. I think that right now you're limited to one carry-on at LHR; ex-SFO should be SOP. Keep looking at FT and this thread until your flight as the procedures will undoubtedly change frequently between now and your flight.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:57 pm

So Ch. 9 is down on all international flights?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 6, 2010 at 8:55 pm Reason: moved from channel 9 thread to keep thread from going off topic
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:06 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by United PR
...To comply with the current TSA security directive, Channel 9 is turned off on international flights inbound to the U.S.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
But only inbound? Just curious as my first flights of the year will involve an ORD-AMS friday.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:57 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
AFAIK, outbound should be up to the captain (as it has been in the past).
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Sconartist
Hello all,

Has anyone have any recent experience on this leg? What should i lookout for? Any tricks?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers!
Welcome to flyertalk. I will fly ORD-LHR-ORD this Sunday through next Friday. I'll post my experience upon my return on 1/15. But hopefully someone would post before I do so I can also read the experience prior to my flight.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I am curious about the one bag BS at LHR. Is it actually enforced and, if so, where is it being enforced?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.