Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2009, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott-LT Titan; Hilton-Gold

Trying to book 2 coach and 2 biz BWI to Australia and I am 445 miles short of the 430,000 I need. I tried to call the Mileage Plus line to see if they would cut me a break since I was so close but they said my only option is to pay $67.25 for 1,000 miles. I don't want to lose out on the seats that are available right now as it is tough to get the 4 tickets I want on the same flights and I am afraid they may disappear if I don't act VERY quickly (I dleayed a few days when I tried to set this up a few months ago na d everything disappeared on me. I have 500+ miles coming to me from a MileagePlusMall purchase I made a week and a half ago- but that will be a while before they show up in my account. Transfering from SPG is a better deal than paying $67.25, but that will take 2-4 weeks according to the website. Anyone have any ideas for me or do I just have to suck it up and pay the dough?
Old May 8, 2009, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH DMD, SPG PLT, Hertz 5*
Personally, the $67.25 would be worth it to me, and I think it's also the fastest way to get the miles.
Old May 8, 2009, 2:32 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
As C seats are much harder to grab than Y seats, I'd book C seats immediately.
Then you can purchase 1,000 miles, buy some flowers or whatever to earn 455 miles to redeem what's really not a difficult XY/NY seats.
Old May 8, 2009, 2:38 pm

Probably the only thing faster than the 48 hours you get with buying the miles is to go to the airport, find a destination at least 228 miles away, and BIS it.
Old May 8, 2009, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

How long does it take for those flower miles to post though? I can't risk us being on two different flights. We did that to Tokyo and it wasn't good! If it is a week- then I'll wait, if it is a month, then I can't!
Old May 8, 2009, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Starbucks Gold
All the MP Mall vendor miles have taken 2-4 weeks to post in my experience. Given the scenario and urgency level you've voiced, you should certainly fork over $67.25 and get the miles virtually instantly. It's still quite a bargain for 4 tickets to Australia.
Old May 8, 2009, 2:53 pm

Pay for the miles and save your sanity. The cost is pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

regards,
drew
Old May 8, 2009, 2:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
If you can wait a week or so, Mileage Plus Dining would work - they're offering DOUBLE miles on mon / tues / wed. Take someone out to a mileage plus dining place on Monday night . Then wait a week. If you're concerned that your seats might be gone by then, then I'd say just buy the miles and be done with it.
Old May 8, 2009, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

No doubt the $67.25 is worth it to seal the deal- I thought that there just might be a way I wasn't thinking of to get me over the hump without laying out the bucks. This forum is great for help like that. But hey, I will gladly pay the $67.25 if there is no better option!
Old Jun 11, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AA
Quickest way to earn 1500 miles

What is the quickest way to earn 1500 miles? (don't have a problem buying something but would rather not)
Old Jun 11, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by kbissing
What is the quickest way to earn 1500 miles? (don't have a problem buying something but would rather not)
Up until two weeks ago, it was registering for the Twitter promo
Old Jun 11, 2009, 3:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AA
Yeah - saw that and MISSED out!

Any other suggestions?
Originally Posted by unavaca
Old Jun 11, 2009, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by unavaca
In fact, just got my Twitter bonus to post! That was 1500 miles x 4 (registered for all of my family members)
Old Jun 11, 2009, 3:12 pm

Programs: Aadvantage, SPG
15,000 miles with Chase Checking Account

https://www.chase.com/index.jsp?pg_n...&ID=0000009117
Old Jun 11, 2009, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The OP said quick. From the T&C:
The first 10,000 bonus miles will be credited to your Mileage Plus Account 6-10 weeks after the initial direct deposit has posted to your new account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.