Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nosecohn
But if I understand your example, wouldn't the segment still be free if I booked EWR-FRA with a LHR connection as the outbound, even if the return is on a different itinerary?
If it's a connection, yes. However, the "Perk" (yes, it's a stupid name. ) allows you more flexibility than that. With my example, you could book EWR-LHR, stay for a few days, then go to FRA, stay a few days more, and then return to EWR. (There are other, more creative things you can do as well, but this is one of the simplest). It is intended as a replacement for the stopover that United previously allowed on award flights.

If your intent is a simple round-trip, with or without connecting flights, you can safely split it into two awards as you've described. But if you're looking to spend time in a second destination, the Perk is useful -- but it requires a round-trip award.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:17 pm

Got it. Thanks.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Try to find somebody with enough Mypoints points to put 4000 UA miles into your account.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: UA (platinum), DL(MM, life time silver)
Originally Posted by nosecohn
I'm about 4,000 miles short of what I need to book an award trip I have in mind. It would cost me $140 to buy 4,000 personal miles on United ($35/1000 miles) or $170 if I can find someone to transfer them to me (assuming $.02/mile plus $90 in xfer fees).

Is there a better way? The advice I've read in this forum seems to be about ways to get 50,000+ miles, but I really don't need that.

Thanks!
Have you considered mileage plusX? I accumulate redeemable miles much faster than flying. Example: recent $355 Legal seafoods bill (large family) gave me 355x5 plus 25% + 355 = 2574 miles (25% bonus if mileage plus branded credit card used). Miles are credited instantly. Compare with a recent flight EWR-GVA, 3850 miles on a cheap ticket gave me 1890 miles, and that is for platinum elite.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by polychro
Have you considered mileage plusX? I accumulate redeemable miles much faster than flying. Example: recent $355 Legal seafoods bill (large family) gave me 355x5 plus 25% + 355 = 2574 miles (25% bonus if mileage plus branded credit card used). Miles are credited instantly. Compare with a recent flight EWR-GVA, 3850 miles on a cheap ticket gave me 1890 miles, and that is for platinum elite.
MileagePlus X is great, but it's not going to be cheaper than buying miles outright. It may be a better value, if you use it for things that you were going to buy anyway, but if you're purely looking at the costs of acquiring the miles, it's not competitive with Award Accelerator.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: TK*G (Elite+)
Any hint for fast 800 miles which I need for redemption? Already signed up to OpinionMiles so it's not an option. Considered eMiles but the transfer can take some weeks and I want to book in a few days.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:17 am

367 miles short for a reward flight

I'm 367 miles short for a reward flight and looking for ideas.

As an Australian with no domestic Star Alliance flights I rarely fly *A or a least not enough to earn huge amounts of points. The last 12 months has seen me earn 14,633 miles which I'd like to put to good use with a 15,000-mile redemption from Japan to Taiwan (possibly stopping in Korea or Okinawa for 20 hours on the same ticket - a paid cash ticket would be $1000 if I did this).

Problem is I'm 367 miles short and would need to acquire some more miles. Here's my problem...

- The smallest amount United will sell me is 2,000 miles for US$70 (given taxes are an extra $30 and low cost carrier direct flights are only $110 it seems a bit excessive to do this)
- I can't earn any miles from dining/shopping/fuel as I don't have a US account
- None of the Australian credit cards I've got have United as a transfer partner
- They expire mid next year (and I've got no points earning *A travel planned between now and then so want to use them)

I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't cost more than what a direct ticket would and am struggling.

The best I've come up with to date is to purchase 3000 Marriott points for $37.5 then transfer them into 1100 United points but surely there has to be a better way to get 367 miles into the account.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: IB Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, NH Titanium
I would signup to MyPoints (1)(2) with a random US zip code. They will not activate your account but then you can e-mail them saying you are traveling*. I haven't tried but you can also use the Opinions Miles Club as well (3).

Mileage Plus Shopping works even if your account isn't based in US. But since it most likely involves delivering a physical good in US, that might not work for you. The MileagePlusX, where you can get a lot of online services (such as Uber gift cards and so on), as you said only works if you are physically located in US (the app uses your geolocalization) regardless of your account.

Hotels: you can also try to book a hotel at United (4) if you have any trip soon before the one Japan/Taiwan. They usually credit the points fairly quick after the checkout date. You can also use Booking.com (5) or RocketMiles (6) too. Note that points will be credit after checkout in all these cases, so this is the case if you have any upcoming trip soon where you make the points then redeem for your Japan/Taiwan trip.

I would even consider signing up to The Economist for a Digital subscription for £12 for 3 months (7) which would give you 1k points. Read the fine print to see if it would work for you, I never tried as it is not valid for current subscribers (which is my case).

(1) https://www.mypoints.com/landingPage?cmp=1261
(2) https://www.mypoints.com/landingPage?cmp=911
(3) https://www.opinionmilesclub.com/gen...09.87.115.194&
(4) https://hotels.united.com/
(5) https://shopping.mileageplus.com/me____.htm?gmid=4791
(6) https://www.rocketmiles.com/united-3k-bonus/
(7) https://shopping.mileageplus.com/me____.htm?gmid=1926

* This is actually what happened to me – it looks like they were looking my IP address, my account is non-US as I live in Europe but I got the points. My girlfriend did the same but over VPN with a UA US account, and their support said VPN might get the activation delayed as they don't support that. They activated the account manually. Very strange but it worked out for both of us.
Xyzzy and jerry305 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by henrus
- They expire mid next year (and I've got no points earning *A travel planned between now and then so want to use them)
All your UA points will renew for another 18 months if you have any activity on your account. Since you said they expire only mid next year (about 18 months from now), you don't need to rush in generating these new points as you would win more time to plan your Japan/Taiwan trip if you, for instance, sign up for MyPoints later this year. Obviously, there is no guarantee UA won't change their award chart and the leg you now need 15k points might require more points in the future.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Sign up for an Amex card with a bonus points offer. You have to pay $395 annual fee, but you get a $400 travel voucher which you can use for hotels on your trip if you haven’t already booked.

Transfer the Amex points to SPG, then transfer from SPG to United.

While the initial cost is more than simply buying points, the annual fee is ultimately offset by the travel voucher.

Here’s a referral link. In the interest of full disclosure, if you use the link I provide, I get a bonus of 30K points, and you get an extra 10K points for a total of 60K points (instead of the usual 50K points).

http://amex.com.au/refer/steveo65zp?XLINK=MYCP

you don’t have to sign on with the referral link. You can just search on the Amex site for a card with bonus points that meets your criteria.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by nutsbr
I would even consider signing up to The Economist for a Digital subscription for £12 for 3 months (7) which would give you 1k points. Read the fine print to see if it would work for you, I never tried as it is not valid for current subscribers (which is my case).
nutsbr thanks, I knew others would have better solutions. I'm now only 251 miles short as I've just gone through all flights in the past year and realised a domestic Air NZ flight was missing. The Economist claims to be only $1 per week and miles credited after 60 days so should cost less $12 assuming everything goes to plan.

I've got specific dates in mind as there is a specific time I need to be in Taiwan so I thought I might as well add on a few extra destinations (Qantas points from Tapei to Osaka, then burn the United points to get back to Taiwan).

United also allows layovers up to 24 hours so I figure why not spend 24 hours in a new city (well I've been to Seoul before but Okinawa or Sapporo would be new) - would be nice if you could force long layovers on the United site.

sol95 thanks for the suggestion, I'd thought about card points but it seems like a lot of effort for what is now just 251 miles (about $4 if The Point Guys valuations are correct).
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Mileage pluS X. Instant miles.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
I can't even download the app - Not available in Australia

Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Grab a one day hertz rental car (if you have UA status) or 2 day if you dont and use the United discount and promo code.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
It only works if you are physically in US. I tried to buy things when in Europe and the payments got declined. I got in touch with the support and this is the response I got:

"In case you didn’t already know, the MileagePlus X app can only process purchases when the user is physically located in the 50 United States (or District of Columbia).
If you were physically in the 50 United States (or District of Columbia) when you tried making your purchase, please let me know so we can research this issue further. If you reply, please include your MileagePlus account number. This will help with our research."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.