Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by xchpstang
Does anyone know if you are allowed to use your E+ subscription after the tickets are purchased? To be more specific: if I purchase with points through Chase, Citi, US Bank, etc.. and get the UA reservation number, am I allowed to then go in to UA website and choose my E+ seat using my subscription? Since lately this is how I have buying tickets this would be crucial to know before buying subscription.
Yes, if both are tied to the same MP account. Not required to purchase the tickets on UA.com, you can purchase elsewhere and then pull up the flights on UA.com and make your E+ seating selection.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I heard about occasionally getting free E+, but today was my first time actually seeing it in practice when checking my wife in (no status, H fare). It was prominent and looked like this:

Interestingly, it also was allowing SDC's at $0. Flight is currently F2 Y4 IAD-SEA.

If I had to guess, I'd say there is some algorithm that when there are <x E- seats left and >y BE customers without seat assignments, the system will randomly(?) allow paying pax to upgrade to E+ for free, rather than create the expectation that BE will get it for free.

Last edited by pushmyredbutton; Aug 2, 2017 at 7:02 pm Reason: added reasoning
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I heard about occasionally getting free E+, but today was my first time actually seeing it in practice when checking my wife in (no status, H fare). It was prominent and looked like this:

Interestingly, it also was allowing SDC's at $0. Flight is currently F2 Y4 IAD-SEA.

If I had to guess, I'd say there is some algorithm that when there are <x E- seats left and >y BE customers without seat assignments, the system will randomly(?) allow paying pax to upgrade to E+ for free, rather than create the expectation that BE will get it for free.
Hmm. Or if it's also allowing SDC, it might just be giving those passengers a "United half-gold" status, seeing how SDC and E+ are free.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Yes, that's almost certainly an effort to make space in E- for BE pax. I would imagine it's the H fare rather than random selection. An H is pretty high up in the fare hierarchy.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, that's almost certainly an effort to make space in E- for BE pax. I would imagine it's the H fare rather than random selection. An H is pretty high up in the fare hierarchy.
Would agree, last week I was able to look at available seat charts on several routes a UA employees computer who was looking for SA seating for travel and I was amazed at how many flights displayed E- as full but showed (many) seats available in E+. It was an education to say the least. As has been reported BE pax have been getting E+ seating at check in, how often or what percentage of BE pax I don't know but it doesn't sound like a rarity.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Hmm. Or if it's also allowing SDC, it might just be giving those passengers a "United half-gold" status, seeing how SDC and E+ are free.
Usually, when I get free SDC unexpectedly, it's because there's a travel advisory out I wasn't aware of. IAD is currently under one. (Aug 1-4)
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was on a Saver Y award ticket (XN stock) earlier this week. I paid $25 for an E+ seat and no PQDs have posted to my account. Are you not eligible to earn them on award tickets?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
I was on a Saver Y award ticket (XN stock) earlier this week. I paid $25 for an E+ seat and no PQDs have posted to my account. Are you not eligible to earn them on award tickets?
Award tickets are non-mileage / PQD earning.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is generally true, however, I was able to get PQD credit last year for E+ purchases associated with an "award-type" ticket (long story - see * below) with a friendly request to the MPSC. The PQD FAQ says "You will earn PQD for Economy Plus purchases, whether a one-time purchase or a subscription" and doesn't make any distinction about the status of the ticket that the purchase is attached to (revenue/nonrevenue)

So it's worth an ask

*- Ok, so the long story: My company and I have donated consulting/programming/commissioning services to a global NGO that is supported by UA (and others in the travel industry). The deal is that our services and indirect costs are free, but they're responsible for arranging/paying for any travel/lodging. On one of the tickets their travel agency booked what is essentially a MP Award ticket (seems to be linked to a 'phantom' 1K account where donated miles are pooled), failed to attach my MP# to the reservation, and then bought exit row seats (although I had specifically asked "only if they're available at no cost"). Since UA wouldn't refund the purchase, figured might as well make the most of it.

Last edited by lincolnjkc; Aug 19, 2017 at 1:47 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The question is specifically about the additional $25 spent on the E+ seat not the ticket itself. I thought the E+ purchase does earn PQD.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0
The question is specifically about the additional $25 spent on the E+ seat not the ticket itself. I thought the E+ purchase does earn PQD.
Award tickets are generically non-mileage earning, PQDs would lead to RDMs. Except for the earlier poster, via manual invention, not aware of any other poster reports of receiving PQDs/RDMs on award ticket E+ purchase. Let's see if others have been successful with manual intervention.

Occasionally in irrops, award tickets have been changed to "paid" fares and sometimes received miles but reports suggest that is getting rarer.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
If you used one of the MP credit cards that earn PQMs when making purchases on .com, then you'll earn those.

David
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
have never had this situation, but flights that don't earn RDM are also ineligible to earn PQM and PQD. My guess is this extends to an E+ purchase as well.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: UA,AA,DL,
Extra Legroom?

Economy Plus = more legroom? If it's extra legroom then this implies that you must have legroom in Economy seats. I am 6'8" tall and just stood for the entire flight from Columbus, OH to Denver, CO. I would like to sit with my wife when traveling but it is a total waste of money to buy her Economy Plus seat when she is only 5'4" tall. Even when I spend the money for Economy Plus I still don't have near the legroom she has in Economy. I don't want "Extra Legroom" I just want the same legroom that you offer to the other 99.9% of your customers. United and every other airline should offer adequate seating to every passenger. Your average passenger would rather sit in their assigned seat than the lavatory. I would too.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by redynsp
Economy Plus = more legroom? If it's extra legroom then this implies that you must have legroom in Economy seats. I am 6'8" tall ...
You're at the 99.985% height percentile for American males

Originally Posted by redynsp
I just want the same legroom that you offer to the other 99.9% of your customers. United and every other airline should offer adequate seating to every passenger. ....
Since no airline is going to design the standard seat for that small portion of the population, you should be looking at exit rows, some bulkheads, or perhaps first-class domestic

Those will be extra costs but those seats would better fit your needs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.