Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Pilot Q & A thread
Print Wikipost

United Pilot Q & A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
As long as you were sarcastic, than yeah, you handled it just like I would have

I had an odd experience on the radio of a L45 flying into SAN, where somewhere along, we were believed to be a King Air . Two a/c ended up going around while ATC figured out what/who/how went wrong.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 4:19 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
once a pilot, always a pilot?

so time for your to put your hat on-no not that hat but your passenger hat......

as many of us here are seasoned travelers and i'm sure i speak for many that when we fly we are very attuned to the various things that occur to the a/c which might startle an infrequent flyer-such as listening for the flaps to extend (on taxi out) or retract (on the climb out) which of course is very noticeable on the 319 & 320 or the gear coming down on approach but then suddenly being retracted and then reclycled ...

so with that, when you folks "fly as us", are you even more attuned to the various sounds, noises and other assorted quirks that the a/c may have or do you just sit back an enjoy the ride?
Old Feb 1, 2009, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion210
I do have to add this anecdote and see if any of the professional pilots out there have any comment.

My father was flying in to DCA from LGA one Friday night. Knowing how clogged I-395 can be, I decided to pick him up in the P-210 we had. The trip in was interesting. I was cleared to land on an runway 04 intersecting runway 01 which was the active for the airlines that night and on the roll out, I was cleared to cross runway 01 but I was asked to keep my speed up until established on short final (I was on long final). So I was booting along at 1500 ft running the manifold pressure at the top of the green and the prop at max RPM and at the last minute pulled the power, dropped the gear and flaps and the plane shuddered like it slammed into a wall. The beautiful thing about a 210 is that it has the glide ratio of a brick and I dropped it to the runway. No sooner than the mains kissed the ground and the Tower screamed at me "Cessna 7EC, expedite crossing runway 01, do not acknowledge, expedite crossing runway 01!!!!" Bam, throttle to max, yoke into the gut, the plane goes airborne, crossed runway 01, power to idle and plunked it back onto the runway and slammed onto the brakes. Seconds later an AA MD-80 touches down behind me. Apparently, their spacing got screwed up.

Taxied to then Butler Aviation (its now Signature Flight Support) and shut down. Ironically, my father was on that AA MD-80 that landed behind me.

I met him at the gate and we walked back to Butler, climbed into the plane, got through clearance delivery for the run back to W-10, cranked up and Ground had us taxi to the departure end of runway 04. Enroute to 04 we held for a Chartered 727 to pull in front of us, I forget the name of the company. I gave him a healthy lead and then started moving when my father said there is something odd about that 727. I took a hard look when I saw the gear flags waving in the breeze. The radio transmissions went something like this:

GC = Ground Control
7EC = Me
Charter ? = B-727
Unk = unk A/C

7EC: "Ground, Cessna 7EC, could you have Charter ? meet me on 129.9?"

GC: "Cessna 7EC, stand by; Charter ? could you meet Cessna 7EC on 129.9?"

Charter ?: "Negative, this is a professional flight crew preparing for departure, we don't have time to talk to that little airplane."

GC: "Uh.........Cessna 7EC are you direct on that last?"

7EC: "Affirmative, would you please inform that professional flight crew preparing for departure that their mains are pinned and the flags happily flapping in the breeze?"

GC: "(laughter in the background) Roger, Charter ? are you direct on that last?"

Unk: "Uh oh, someone screwed the pooch."

(Dead air)

Charter ?: (in a P/Oed voice) "Ground, Charter ?, request to taxi back to the ramp."

Slowly, ponderously, the 727 turned around and made for the ramp. They made it a point not to look at me as they swung past.

Did I handle that right? They did annoy me with that "little airplane" crack. I mean the laws of aerodynamics applied to me much the same as them.
Sure, no problem with what you did, although if I was taxiing out and a Cessna asked to talk to me, I might also be a little busy to chit chat, not knowing what they wanted. In the future, I would just tell ground you are behind the 727 and it appears their gear pins might still be in. Gets the point across and the other crew will also know. Drops the middle man radio call request.

Originally Posted by goalie
so time for your to put your hat on-no not that hat but your passenger hat......

as many of us here are seasoned travelers and i'm sure i speak for many that when we fly we are very attuned to the various things that occur to the a/c which might startle an infrequent flyer-such as listening for the flaps to extend (on taxi out) or retract (on the climb out) which of course is very noticeable on the 319 & 320 or the gear coming down on approach but then suddenly being retracted and then reclycled ...

so with that, when you folks "fly as us", are you even more attuned to the various sounds, noises and other assorted quirks that the a/c may have or do you just sit back an enjoy the ride?
I do notice stuff when I fly. I remember once I was on a Delta flight and noticed a small rumble as we flew. I then looked out and noticed their flaps were still extended and we were quite high (my guess was over 10,000' since they dinged the cabin already). I told the FA I thought the flaps were still extended, she called the cockpit, and then I heard the flaps go up and the plane smooth out. She laughed and I said guess they'll have to write those up for inspection.

Another time I was on an ASA Delta Connection CRJ-200. Mid-flight I noticed our deck angle was very high, and the jet seemed awful quiet, like when they are about to stall. Just about that time, the engines revved up and the nose dropped quickly as the plane accelerated. The Captain came on saying sorry, they had hit some turbulence. As I deplaned and he stood there, I kind of said "turbulence huh?" He said yep. I said "seemed like someone stalled out the jet to me" and he kind of turned red and asked if I was a FAA guy? I said no, just another airline pilot and he admitted the had had a "malfunction" up front.

Depending on who I'm flying, I can sometimes relax, and other times not so much.

AD
Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:22 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Did I handle that right?
No. When you re-tell a very old joke like that you shouldn't tell it as though it happened to you.

Seriously... A commercial crew can't talk about non-operational issues when the airplane is in motion on the ground (or in non-cruise flight below 10,000'). A generic request to talk on another frequency would seem to violate sterile cockpit rules unless the crew knew that it was something operational.

I sit back and enjoy the ride but I can't help but notice many things about the flight. I don't particularly pay any attention to them but I can't help but notice them.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
For our experts, we had a discussion in another thread about the operational ability of United's 777s to service Sydney from the West Coast.

My understanding is that the range of United's 777-200ERs, at normal operational loads (i.e., fuel, passengers and cargo), taking into account ETOPS routing requirements and winds, do not have the ability to fly that route.

Am I correct on that, or does UA exclusively use the 744 down under for the greater freight and passenger load capabilities?

Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 5:59 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
I do notice stuff when I fly. I remember once I was on a Delta flight and noticed a small rumble as we flew. I then looked out and noticed their flaps were still extended and we were quite high (my guess was over 10,000' since they dinged the cabin already). I told the FA I thought the flaps were still extended, she called the cockpit, and then I heard the flaps go up and the plane smooth out. She laughed and I said guess they'll have to write those up for inspection.

Another time I was on an ASA Delta Connection CRJ-200. Mid-flight I noticed our deck angle was very high, and the jet seemed awful quiet, like when they are about to stall. Just about that time, the engines revved up and the nose dropped quickly as the plane accelerated. The Captain came on saying sorry, they had hit some turbulence. As I deplaned and he stood there, I kind of said "turbulence huh?" He said yep. I said "seemed like someone stalled out the jet to me" and he kind of turned red and asked if I was a FAA guy? I said no, just another airline pilot and he admitted the had had a "malfunction" up front.

Depending on who I'm flying, I can sometimes relax, and other times not so much.

AD
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I sit back and enjoy the ride but I can't help but notice many things about the flight. I don't particularly pay any attention to them but I can't help but notice them.
thank you both as always ^ and to AD, you gots ta stop flying delta and i'll bet the delta conx captain breathed a sigh of relief (that you "weren't an faa guy") before turning a bit redfaced, huh?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:28 pm

Oh so true. One of the reasons I fly myself and my family at tremendous cost around the country.

I remember about 12 years ago, I flew United from SFO to IAD to visit family. We descended and apparently were cleared for landing because I heard the gear deploy when minutes later the engines spooled up and the gear rumbled back into the wells and the deck pitched up and the flaps partially retracted. And I judged we were about 3500 and at that altitude, due to my familiarity with the area, made a wide circle crossing Northern VA and southern MD and eventually back to the runway where we did land. The whole circular route at that altitude we bucked all over the place and the familiar sound of sick sacs being used.

On the inter terminal bus ride I ran into the Capt of the flight and I gave a small grin and stated "we bucked around pretty good didn't we?" His face clouded over and he said ATC is going to hear from him about that. Apparently he had been begging for higher and was denied. He seemed pretty bent.

thank you both as always and to AD, you gots ta stop flying delta and i'll bet the delta conx captain breathed a sigh of relief (that you "weren't an faa guy") before turning a bit redfaced, huh?
How about America West? I was changing planes in Sky Harbor enroute to McCarren when the Airbus I was supposed to board had a maintenance issue. Something to do with the avionics. The Capt was standing at the counter and I asked about how long. He sighed and said he had no clue. Then he looked left and right and said in a low voice with a grin "If it ain't Boeing, you shouldn't be going".

We both got a good chuckle at that old joke.

Last edited by Centurion210; Feb 2, 2009 at 12:35 pm
Old Feb 3, 2009, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
I'd like to know what you pilots think about the buzz the media is getting over bird strikes in light of the US Airways flight on the Hudson. From what I've always understood, bird strikes are very common and not too much of an issue unless if all of the engines are taken out in the rare case of US 1549, right? I remember turning on Bill O'Reilly on for the first time in months, and he did a segment about US 1549. He couldn't fathom that a flock of birds, let alone massive Canadian geese, could take down a plane. Then, today, a bird strike on a UAL plane in DEN makes the top story on the four o'clock news here in Denver. Would that story have even made the news a month ago?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Another bird-brained question () for the pilots...

I was on a flight SEA-ORD on Friday and a young kid (early 20s, smelled of booze when he walked by me) came on the plane and poked his head in the cockpit door to say "hey, watch out for the geese."

At the time I thought this was one of the tackiest things I've ever heard anyone say... wondering if you pilots have the authority to have someone removed from your plane because of stupid comments like this, or if there must be a higher level of infractrion for you to exercise that power.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by char777
I'd like to know what you pilots think about the buzz the media is getting over bird strikes in light of the US Airways flight on the Hudson. From what I've always understood, bird strikes are very common and not too much of an issue unless if all of the engines are taken out in the rare case of US 1549, right? I remember turning on Bill O'Reilly on for the first time in months, and he did a segment about US 1549. He couldn't fathom that a flock of birds, let alone massive Canadian geese, could take down a plane. Then, today, a bird strike on a UAL plane in DEN makes the top story on the four o'clock news here in Denver. Would that story have even made the news a month ago?
Well, first of all, why are you watching O'Reilly??????????? Hearing he couldn't fathom something is like saying it is surprising George Bush was not the smartest person in school

Now, on to the question at hand. Yes, bird strikes are somewhat common, but it's not like we hit them all the time too. I might hit a small bird once every 3-4 years on average, so it's not all that common it happens to you. Strikes with large birds are more rare, and a flock of large birds hitting your engines very rare.

It is a sensational story right now because of US Air, so yes bird strikes are reported. Give it several months and it will wear off just like it always does.

There have been several large aircraft taken down by large flocks of birds in history, so it's not hard to believe. Planes don't fly very well with all engines shut down

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Another bird-brained question () for the pilots...

I was on a flight SEA-ORD on Friday and a young kid (early 20s, smelled of booze when he walked by me) came on the plane and poked his head in the cockpit door to say "hey, watch out for the geese."

At the time I thought this was one of the tackiest things I've ever heard anyone say... wondering if you pilots have the authority to have someone removed from your plane because of stupid comments like this, or if there must be a higher level of infractrion for you to exercise that power.
That quote wouldn't upset me, he's just being funny. Now if someone comes up to the cockpit and makes a joke about say drinking and flying, or something offensive, then I could see some pilots being offended with that statement.

The authority to have someone removed is broad, but I would think most captains use great discretion and would only use that authority if someone was a definite issue to the safety of the flight.

AD

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Feb 3, 2009 at 9:19 pm
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
Now, on to the question at hand. Yes, bird strikes are somewhat common, but it's not like we hit them all the time too. I might hit a small bird once every 3-4 years on average, so it's not all that common it happens to you. Strikes with large birds are more rare, and a flock of large birds hitting your engines very rare.
My first time flying a multiengine plane (a Seneca), I hit a bird immediately after takeoff. Smack through the right propeller. My instructor spent a great deal of time looking out the right window telling me what he saw, describing the location of the various bird parts, etc. I suggested he might want to keep an eye on me, just in case. Best part - the plane was rented from an FBO, and I didn't have to clean it when we got back.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA(1k)/AA/NW/HHonors Diamond/Priority Club Gold/Golden Circle
I do have to add this anecdote and see if any of the professional pilots out there have any comment.

My father was flying in to DCA from LGA one Friday night. Knowing how clogged I-395 can be, I decided to pick him up in the P-210 we had. The trip in was interesting. I was cleared to land on an runway 04 intersecting runway 01 which was the active for the airlines that night and on the roll out, I was cleared to cross runway 01 but I was asked to keep my speed up until established on short final (I was on long final). So I was booting along at 1500 ft running the manifold pressure at the top of the green and the prop at max RPM and at the last minute pulled the power, dropped the gear and flaps and the plane shuddered like it slammed into a wall. The beautiful thing about a 210 is that it has the glide ratio of a brick and I dropped it to the runway. No sooner than the mains kissed the ground and the Tower screamed at me "Cessna 7EC, expedite crossing runway 01, do not acknowledge, expedite crossing runway 01!!!!" Bam, throttle to max, yoke into the gut, the plane goes airborne, crossed runway 01, power to idle and plunked it back onto the runway and slammed onto the brakes. Seconds later an AA MD-80 touches down behind me. Apparently, their spacing got screwed up.

Taxied to then Butler Aviation (its now Signature Flight Support) and shut down. Ironically, my father was on that AA MD-80 that landed behind me.

I met him at the gate and we walked back to Butler, climbed into the plane, got through clearance delivery for the run back to W-10, cranked up and Ground had us taxi to the departure end of runway 04. Enroute to 04 we held for a Chartered 727 to pull in front of us, I forget the name of the company. I gave him a healthy lead and then started moving when my father said there is something odd about that 727. I took a hard look when I saw the gear flags waving in the breeze. The radio transmissions went something like this:

GC = Ground Control
7EC = Me
Charter ? = B-727
Unk = unk A/C

7EC: "Ground, Cessna 7EC, could you have Charter ? meet me on 129.9?"

GC: "Cessna 7EC, stand by; Charter ? could you meet Cessna 7EC on 129.9?"

Charter ?: "Negative, this is a professional flight crew preparing for departure, we don't have time to talk to that little airplane."

GC: "Uh.........Cessna 7EC are you direct on that last?"

7EC: "Affirmative, would you please inform that professional flight crew preparing for departure that their mains are pinned and the flags happily flapping in the breeze?"

GC: "(laughter in the background) Roger, Charter ? are you direct on that last?"

Unk: "Uh oh, someone screwed the pooch."

(Dead air)

Charter ?: (in a P/Oed voice) "Ground, Charter ?, request to taxi back to the ramp."

Slowly, ponderously, the 727 turned around and made for the ramp. They made it a point not to look at me as they swung past.

Did I handle that right? They did annoy me with that "little airplane" crack. I mean the laws of aerodynamics applied to me much the same as them.
Can't you do any better than that?? You morphed one of the biggest urban legends in ATC "bloopers-dom" Here's another variation on the same tale:

A C-130 Hercules pilot is about to depart an airport that is frequented by many major airlines. As he is taxiing to the runway this is his conversation:
C-130 pilot: "Lufthansa 747 on the taxiway this is Hercules 111."
No response so he says it again. Still no response.
C-130 pilot: "Ground Controll this is Herc 111 please ask the Lufthansa 747 in front of me to join me on 123.45. I need to talk to him."
Ground Control: "Lufthansa 225 did you copy the Hercules request?"
Lufthansa Captain: "Yes Ground we did, please tell the Hercules pilot that the professionals at Lufthansa do not condone the unprofessional use of the radios."
C-130 pilot:"Ground, please tell the PROFESSIONAL Lufthansa pilots that they left the gear safety pin in on their main gear." http://www.fantasticforum.com/1res/p...6829&perpage=1
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:40 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Urban legend

I suspected that. The story was just too good to be true.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
If we hear a mistake on channel 9 would you as a pilot want to hear about it? Yesterday we had kind of a bumpy climb out of SEA and I heard ATC clear us to 37000 but the pilot repeated back 27000 and ATC didn't notice. I kept my mouth shut because i was afraid the pilot would think I was one of those channel 9 listeners waiting for a gotcha and didn't want to sour him on channel 9. Anyway, it wasn't noticed until we switched controllers who seemed a little confused that we were only at 27000. I figured it wasn't a big deal and we were not in any danger although it maybe made our ascent through the bumps take a little longer.

Also, loved the way the pilot handled our IAD-FRA delay last night. Came out and grabbed the mic in the gate area and explained exactly what was wrong with the plane and his reasoning for requiring the fix and the rigged up solution (the main battery was dead and there was no replacement so he had them switch the backup to main and run it throughout the flight which also cost 4000lbs more fuel...he didn't want to risk no battery in the winter). And then he took questions and concerns from the crowd.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by andyh64000
If we hear a mistake on channel 9 would you as a pilot want to hear about it?
Pointing that out would probably be a good way of ensuring that the pilot in question would never turn Channel 9 on again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.