Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding pass for UA-AF connection

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2024, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Only 1 hour 10 minutes for your connection? If you're arriving CDG, you have a Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 connection, and if your connecting flight is within the EU, you'll have to clear immigration and customs. I hope you have a backup planned if you miss the connection. And make sure the UA agent tags your checked bag to your final destination. There won't be time to get it at baggage claim in CDG and recheck it.
Sorry, left out that connection is in GVA, not CDG. Hopefully an easier airport to navigate, it looks like MCT in 0:40. No checked bags.
Old May 22, 2024, 8:36 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Sorry, left out that connection is in GVA, not CDG. Hopefully an easier airport to navigate, it looks like MCT in 0:40. No checked bags.
I haven't been to GVA for several years, but I have connected there in the past. It's a very easy airport to navigate. You will need to clear immigration to enter the Schengen Zone, but even if you had checked bags you wouldn't need to retrieve them at GVA.
SPN Lifer and Mr. BoH like this.

Last edited by JPG3392; May 22, 2024 at 8:41 am Reason: Revised reply after re-reading original post.
Old May 22, 2024, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely also ask at the ticketing counter and/or gate before your UA flight. Airport agents have lots of special powers.
Old May 22, 2024, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I haven't seen this mentioned, but have you tried calling AF? They should be able to find your record and the PNR in their system.
Old May 22, 2024, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Definitely also ask at the ticketing counter and/or gate before your UA flight. Airport agents have lots of special powers.
No luck, agent is totally stumped. Crossing fingers and hoping for the best at connecting airport.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
As far as I can tell, I only have one PNR. Ill try that in AF app once I get within 24 hours of 2nd flight I guess.
That is how it has worked for me - you just need to wait till then, but you should be able to check in then with the AF PNR. Get inflight WiFi so as not to wait till you land.
Old May 22, 2024, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Just boarded first flight. BP still unavailable thru either UA or AF app. Flight delayed so connection will be dicey already even if I had a BP. Oh well I guess.
SPN Lifer and gaobest like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I dont think I have ever left without a BP for the connecting flight in hand.
While we've now become accustomed to online check-in and mobile boarding passes, it used to be quite common not to be able to get an onward BP except at the transfer desk of the connecting airport. This is why many airports (outside the US) have a large bank of transfer counters airside. Unfortunately, I can't speak to GVA, having never transferred there, except to note it's a pretty compact airport. At a minimum, be sure to bring a print of your itinerary, as that will typically suffice to clear any passport or security checks if there's no transfer desk.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and artvandalay like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:29 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Just boarded first flight. BP still unavailable thru either UA or AF app. Flight delayed so connection will be dicey already even if I had a BP. Oh well I guess.
Have you tried contacting LX? I'm not familiar with the schedule, but I would assume that both AF and LX have several flights daily between GVA and CDG.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Will eu261 or similar rule protect you when your first flight is late? I’m sure many pax on your flight will have missed connections that will result in an automatic rebooking :-)
Old May 22, 2024, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
Will eu261 or similar rule protect you when your first flight is late?
EC.261 does not apply, so unfortunately for the OP he does not get to hit the delay jackpot. However, standard IATA policies do apply, and UA will be charged with getting OP to his destination.
SPN Lifer and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 23, 2024, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Ok so to wrap a bow on this, I made the connection, though it was very close due to delay. Airport is tiny which worked in my favor.

I was able to get a boarding pass via the AF app while waiting in line for immigration. And thank goodness I did, because I needed to reclear security after immigration but before the transfer desk or any airline personnel, and that required a scannable BP. I am sure it would have somehow got sorted without one, but it would certainly would have caused me to miss the connection.

So alls well that ends well, but still odd to me that the tech doesnt work for this.
Old May 23, 2024, 6:12 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Ok so to wrap a bow on this, I made the connection, though it was very close due to delay. Airport is tiny which worked in my favor.

I was able to get a boarding pass via the AF app while waiting in line for immigration. And thank goodness I did, because I needed to reclear security after immigration but before the transfer desk or any airline personnel, and that required a scannable BP. I am sure it would have somehow got sorted without one, but it would certainly would have caused me to miss the connection.

So alls well that ends well, but still odd to me that the tech doesnt work for this.
As others had mentioned, for interlined itinerary, not all airlines have systems that communicate with each other and able to generate BP for another airline's flight. When that communication relationship does not exist, you'll need to have the first coupon consumed before the BP for the second flight can be generated - this is standard. It is weird that GVA security has a BP requirement without a transfer desk nearby before security, though. An itinerary may have sufficed.
Old May 23, 2024, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by PTahCha
As others had mentioned, for interlined itinerary, not all airlines have systems that communicate with each other and able to generate BP for another airline's flight. When that communication relationship does not exist, you'll need to have the first coupon consumed before the BP for the second flight can be generated - this is standard. It is weird that GVA security has a BP requirement without a transfer desk nearby before security, though. An itinerary may have sufficed.
I confronted this in AMS (or at least couldn't find it) transferring UA->SAS. While I had a BP, it was no longer valid because our flight had been cancelled.
Old May 23, 2024, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

odd to me that the tech doesnt work for this.
On the contrary, it's amazing that one airline can create a valid boarding pass for another airline. We tend to take technological marvels for granted.
SPN Lifer, Kacee and DiamondMile like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.