Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding pass for UA-AF connection

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2024, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Boarding pass for UA-AF connection not available?

Hi, I am not a United regular, so maybe this is a dumb question. I have a connecting flight UA to AF (LX code share). Trying to checkin now, and I can get boarding passes for the UA leg but getting the error message below for the 2nd boarding pass. Is there a workaround for this or do I really need to chase down a boarding pass during the connection?

Our system was not able to process the boarding pass for your connecting flight at this time. You may need to contact the operating airline at the connection city for your boarding pass.

Last edited by Mr. BoH; May 21, 2024 at 5:40 pm
Old May 21, 2024, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Hi, I am not a United regular, so maybe this is a dumb question. I have a connecting flight UA to AF (LX code share). Trying to checkin now, and I can get boarding passes for the UA leg but getting the error message below for the 2nd boarding pass. Is there a workaround for this or do I really need to chase down a boarding pass during the connection?

Our system was not able to process the boarding pass for your connecting flight at this time. You may need to contact the operating airline at the connection city for your boarding pass.
Generally speaking Use the AF booking code to check in with the AF app 24 hrs before (or whatever AF allows.) Ive had luck with this UA>LH.
SPN Lifer, Mr. BoH and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Get the boarding pass at the transfer desk for the operating airline at your connecting city (presumably AF @ CDG?)
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by jsloan; May 21, 2024 at 5:52 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old May 21, 2024, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by jsloan
Get the boarding pass at the transfer desk for the operating airline at your connecting city (presumably AF @ CDG?)
That is what it is telling me to do. Just worried about if timing gets tight (only a 1:10 connection). In all my years of flying, I dont think I have ever left without a BP for the connecting flight in hand.
Old May 21, 2024, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
That is what it is telling me to do. Just worried about if timing gets tight (only a 1:10 connection). In all my years of flying, I don’t think I have ever left without a BP for the connecting flight in hand.
Do you have an AF PNR - if so perhaps you can use that to check in for the flight using their app / website? IME when connecting from UA to other non *A airlines getting a BP in advance can be challenging -- Ive had good luck checking in once the original UA flight has been boarded and the fight coupon is marked as used -- same thing with the reverse.... This was typical when I would fly from GRZ to FRA to EWR -- I couldn't get my UA BP until the first flight from GRZ had begun.... It was stressful but always worked out.....
SPN Lifer, Mr. BoH and DiamondMile like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 21, 2024 at 6:38 pm
Old May 21, 2024, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Do you have an AF PNR - if so perhaps you can use that to check in for the flight using their app / website? IME when connecting from UA to other non *A airlines getting a BP in advance can be challenging -- Ive had good luck checking in once the original UA flight has been boarded and the fight coupon is marked as used
Waiting until the UA flight has been boarded is the key here; at that point, the boarding pass might be available in the AF app.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

As far as I can tell, I only have one PNR. Ill try that in AF app once I get within 24 hours of 2nd flight I guess.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:25 pm

As far as I can tell, I only have one PNR. Ill try that in AF app once I get within 24 hours of 2nd flight I guess.
Theres generally always a different PNR for the other airline. Should be available with ur conf email or even in the UA app.
SPN Lifer and bmwe92fan like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Theres generally always a different PNR for the other airline. Should be available with ur conf email or even in the UA app.
Yes - OP -- check the reservation on .bomb and look for an additional PNR for AF....
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

I dont see a 2nd PNR anywhere. I entered the only PNR I have into the AF app, and it does recognize it. It wont let me check in, although perhaps that is because I am not T-24 from the 2nd flight yet?
Old May 21, 2024, 6:57 pm

I don’t see a 2nd PNR anywhere. I entered the only PNR I have into the AF app, and it does recognize it. It won’t let me check in, although perhaps that is because I am not T-24 from the 2nd flight yet?
IME in situations like this the second airline does not let you check in until they know you are on the first flight... The fact that AF recognizes the UA PNR is good - once you've boarded the UA flight / in-flight try to check in via the AF app... In the case of UA -- that's when my UA BP would show up automatically -- not sure how it works with AF
SPN Lifer and Mr. BoH like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 9:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I dont see a 2nd PNR anywhere. I entered the only PNR I have into the AF app, and it does recognize it. It wont let me check in, although perhaps that is because I am not T-24 from the 2nd flight yet?
Looking at your itin it appears just below the UA PNR. If it does not appear it may nbe because AF is not *A partner.
You can call AF and give them the 016 ticket number to get the AF PNR.
Record Locator/ PNR of Star Partners on UA purchased Itineraries
Old May 22, 2024, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Looking at your itin it appears just below the UA PNR. If it does not appear it may nbe because AF is not *A partner.
You can call AF and give them the 016 ticket number to get the AF PNR.
Record Locator/ PNR of Star Partners on UA purchased Itineraries
Just one PNR. Based on that link, one PNR is the way if carrier uses Amadeus, which I think AF does. The fact that looking up the PNR on the AF app found the record suggests this is correct.

Now within T-24 for 2nd flight and AF app just says online checkin unavailable. I will try again after boarding first flight.

I am sure it will all work out if flight is on time, I just find it odd that in this day and age it doesnt work more seamlessly, even for a non *A carrier.
Old May 22, 2024, 5:53 am

Programs: UA MM
Just one PNR. Based on that link, one PNR is the way if carrier uses Amadeus, which I think AF does. The fact that looking up the PNR on the AF app found the record suggests this is correct.

Now within T-24 for 2nd flight and AF app just says online checkin unavailable. I will try again after boarding first flight.

I am sure it will all work out if flight is on time, I just find it odd that in this day and age it doesnt work more seamlessly, even for a non *A carrier.
I wouldn't rule out a UA ticket agent being able to print your AF boarding pass when you check in your bags.
ijgordon likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 6:40 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
That is what it is telling me to do. Just worried about if timing gets tight (only a 1:10 connection). In all my years of flying, I dont think I have ever left without a BP for the connecting flight in hand.
Only 1 hour 10 minutes for your connection? If you're arriving CDG, you have a Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 connection, and if your connecting flight is within the EU, you'll have to clear immigration and customs. I hope you have a backup planned if you miss the connection. And make sure the UA agent tags your checked bag to your final destination. There won't be time to get it at baggage claim in CDG and recheck it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.