Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS 2025 Qualifications . planning, insights and guesses?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2024, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA_Flyer
Copied and Pasted over from the 2024 GS Qualification Thread.

2024 GS Qualification spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Please enter as much data as you have available for prior years too.

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Here are links to spreadsheets from years past. Unfortunately I was not able to find the links for 2019, 2021 and 2022. If anyone has them, please post. This might be useful to look back at historical spends needed to qualify for GS:
Originally Posted by IAHMCI
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Moved the links plus 2019 to the wiki

Believe as 2021 and 2022 were blank extensions, not spreadsheets were created for those years
Print Wikipost

GS 2025 Qualifications . planning, insights and guesses?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2024, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
I made GS with just over $60K last year out of a (small) non-hub. I also am over 3M lifetime Milles. I wonder if lifetime miles are taken into consideration. Any thoughts?
Old May 19, 2024, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
I made GS with just over $60K last year out of a (small) non-hub. I also am over 3M lifetime Milles. I wonder if lifetime miles are taken into consideration. Any thoughts?

The small non-hub airport may play into consideration but not the 3 MM lifetime 1K status.

If you make 4MM lifetime BIS miles, I guarantee you it will taken into consideration.
Old May 20, 2024, 4:54 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Its not just spend, its premium spend. Thats why there are so many disgruntled domestic road warriors on 60k of corporate you arent important enough fir J travel who are 1Karens and 1Kensits so fetch.
Old May 22, 2024, 12:13 pm

Could be a glitch, but after getting dumped from GS despite spending $130k in 2023, I am now back to GS. No notification. Just now listed as GS on my app.

edited to add, so did most of my coworkers. All without notification other than the status on the app changing.
wrp96, bmwe92fan and jonisflying like this.

Last edited by Rock214; May 22, 2024 at 12:27 pm
Old May 22, 2024, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by Rock214
Could be a glitch, but after getting dumped from GS despite spending $130k in 2023, I am now back to GS. No notification. Just now listed as GS on my app.

edited to add, so did most of my coworkers. All without notification other than the status on the app changing.
Wow, so it was a glitch and it just took them 4 month to fix it 😂😂😂
ContinentalFan and wrp96 like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by benewr
Wow, so it was a glitch and it just took them 4 month to fix it 😂😂😂
Not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.
ContinentalFan and wrp96 like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Could be a glitch, ....
Likely some serious discussion at the corporate level about renewing the UA contract. "Our team is pissed at UA, restore or don't bother"
SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
On a flight in February, an FA asked a 1k what are you doing back here? He explained that despite spending about $100k, the CEO wasnt invited back to GS. He retaliated by mandating that all company flights on United are only reimbursed if flying in Basic Economy. Of the 40 to 50 people impacted, fewer than ten remained with United. Most deserted to Delta, some to American. Others are buying United tickets through a *A partner, but he expects that route will be shut down too.

I wonder does that sort of information filter its way back to the people who matter?
SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I am based in a UA hub, but am far from captive.

All of UAs hubs, except DEN, have a lot of international carriers. Almost everywhere I fly - 90% international - requires a connection. Being GS keeps me on UA. If I wasnt, I would hit 1K and the other $45k would go elsewhere. So it would be shortsighted to assume hub-dwellers are stuck. Its true domestically but not so much internationally.

Its hard to know what UA is planning this year. On one hand, having more GSs is a good thing for them. It improves loyalty without a lot of added cost. Very few benefits cost UA incrementally:
  • GS lobbies are built and staffed
  • GS phone agents arent dedicated
  • Upgrade space is handled through Revenue Management, and only offered if needed
  • Miles and Plus Points are awarded at exactly the same rate as 1Ks

The only benefit that has a potential cost, that I can think of, is the forced segment upgrade. Its not an advertised benefit, most GSs likely dont know it exists, and now that its limited to a single segment the risk/use is lower.

My takeaway is UA should welcome a manageable-sized GS population. Its a powerful tool that generates loyalty. Reducing the ranks to create more exclusivity would be foolish, in my opinion.

If you assume the lowest qualification threshold, $50k, it means $26k ($50k-$24k 1K threshold) would be at risk from everyone being cut. Thats nowhere near the spend they put against the GS program.

Last edited by cmhua777; May 22, 2024 at 9:57 pm
Old May 22, 2024, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
On a flight in February, an FA asked a 1k what are you doing back here? He explained that despite spending about $100k, the CEO wasnt invited back to GS. He retaliated by mandating that all company flights on United are only reimbursed if flying in Basic Economy. Of the 40 to 50 people impacted, fewer than ten remained with United. Most deserted to Delta, some to American. Others are buying United tickets through a *A partner, but he expects that route will be shut down too.

I wonder does that sort of information filter its way back to the people who matter?
That seems oddly petty, especially for anyone hub-captive.
Old May 22, 2024, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Likely some serious discussion at the corporate level about renewing the UA contract. "Our team is pissed at UA, restore or don't bother"
No idea really. But my company doesnt care who we fly with. At all. And the people at corporate levels fly in a fleet of corporate jets. It might have something to do with roughly 250 of us peons shifting on average $100k worth of flying from United to other carriers starting about 2 days after they dropped us as GS. Not sure. Its business. All sides doing what benefits them the most. Just another wave in the sine wave of business travel policies.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No idea really. But my company doesnt care who we fly with. At all. And the people at corporate levels fly in a fleet of corporate jets. It might have something to do with roughly 250 of us peons shifting on average $100k worth of flying from United to other carriers starting about 2 days after they dropped us as GS. Not sure. Its business. All sides doing what benefits them the most. Just another wave in the sine wave of business travel policies.
So are you and your co-peons coming back now? Have UA put humpty back together?
Old May 22, 2024, 6:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No idea really. But my company doesn’t care who we fly with. At all. And the people at corporate levels fly in a fleet of corporate jets. It might have something to do with roughly 250 of us peons shifting on average $100k worth of flying from United to other carriers starting about 2 days after they dropped us as GS. Not sure. It’s business. All sides doing what benefits them the most. Just another wave in the sine wave of business travel policies.
Most corporate contacts (for discounted pricing) have required minimums and if folks were shifting away, the minimum was potentially at risk and the travel department may have "advised" UA the future renewal would be smaller. At least someone in the UA chain would be looking at a smaller bonus and that might have led to a reconsideration. That is how business works. Not unusual for changes to go too far and be restored -- the corporate pendulum at work.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 22, 2024 at 7:07 pm
Old May 22, 2024, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
So are you and your co-peons coming back now? Have UA put humpty back together?
Good question. Ive scheduled my travel into July. That doesnt leave much time to accumulate enough spending to make GS in 2025. And flying on other carriers has been a pleasant change. Ive learned the hazards of committing to one airline under the assumption their rules wont change. Supposedly American Airlines is going to stop giving frequent flier miles at all for tickets purchased outside of approved vendors or their website. That was going to start in May but theyve moved it to July. Ill make 1k on United at a minimum in 2024. Maybe once I see what changes they make to the GS program for 2025 Ill decide whether to make them my first choice in 2025. I suspect most of my coworkers will do the same.
Old May 22, 2024, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cmhua777 (Post # 54)
if you assume the lowest qualification threshold, $50k, it means $36k ($50k-$24k 1k threshold) would be at risk from everyone being cut. Thats nowhere near the spend they put against the gs program. [Emphasis added.]
$50K - $24K = $26K

Edit: The letters in a post cannot be all capitalized (to prevent "shouting").

Some capitalized abbreviations get un-capitalized (Technical Support Forum)
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; May 22, 2024 at 10:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.