Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Increased Pricing for partner MP Awards April 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Increased Pricing for partner MP Awards April 2024

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2024, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by htb
With earnings limited by distance but redemption devalued by inflation, MileagePlus has definitely become unattractive for the non-American market...
In many cases, people who are purchasing flights to/from the US can purchase via United.com, even if not flying United. People who are earning UA status through economy flights from Europe to Asia are simply not UA's priority.

Originally Posted by htb
If I cannot reach Gold, I can simply buy the cheapest fare on the cheapest airline.
And that's generally what I recommend. I will continue to credit to MileagePlus because E+ at booking is a valuable perk to me -- it's like getting a 15-25% discount on many of my domestic flights, as I would otherwise purchase it -- so UA becomes the cheapest fare on the cheapest airline for me. For you, in your situation, it probably won't be.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by angetenar
NH: Virgin Atlantic likely, but also appears to have less access than UA does.
This has not been my experience when booking 3-5 NH F awards through VS in the past several years. What is your source or experience on this?
Old May 2, 2024, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by dkc192
This has not been my experience when booking 3-5 NH F awards through VS in the past several years. What is your source or experience on this?
seats.aero shows a HNL-NRT F seat on June 7 that you can book via UA and not VS. It shows another HND-SFO F seat on May 10 that is bookable via both UA and VS. It is possible that seats.aero is not correct about the HNL-NRT not being bookable via VS though.
Old May 2, 2024, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Most of my UA miles were earned prior to Covid so now they're basically worthless compared to those redemption values circa 2019 unfortunately but the name of the game is earn and burn so I have no one to blame but myself.
Old May 2, 2024, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by angetenar
seats.aero shows a HNL-NRT F seat on June 7 that you can book via UA and not VS. It shows another HND-SFO F seat on May 10 that is bookable via both UA and VS. It is possible that seats.aero is not correct about the HNL-NRT not being bookable via VS though.
seats.aero doesn't show NH award availability bookable via VS but via VA. The former is not bookable online (probably hence why seats.aero doesn't show it), the latter is a less known way of booking NH awards.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's a price increase. Are we going to ask the DOT to probe the airlines every time they raise a fare?

When UA removed the award charts, it was an extremely clear signal that they were going to do the same thing that Delta did when they removed their award charts. Rather than kvetch about it now, we should be thankful that they gave us about four years of relative stability before the prices started to go to SkyPesos levels. People have been in denial.

Indirectly, maybe, because airlines aren't operating at 60% load factors anymore. But even if there were more airlines, I don't think anybody would be running at a 60% load factor. We've been struggling with an ongoing pilot shortage; there's a shortage of new aircraft; and airfares are lower than they've ever been.

When airlines are selling 85% of their seats, giving some away cheaply for company scrip is a bad economic decision, so the carriers are trying to wean the public off of that practice.

There may be a hard floor at 1 cpm, at least for Chase cardmembers, if you continue to have the ability to erase United Airlines charges from your bill at 1 cpm. But otherwise, this is 100% correct. The banks have bought a pig in a poke because people keep signing up for these cards. Eventually the gravy train stops, but not until people get fed up collecting miles.

And it's not clear that people will get fed up. The FT community might be heavily invested in F awards. The general public is much more worried about being able to get domestic Y awards. And while you'll still find some eye-popping numbers in domestic Y, you can also find some relative bargains.
  • Nobody in FT collects miles for domestic travel (there are much better redemptions)
  • nobody on FT should be “erasing” charges at 1 cpm. If you have a credit card that earns points you can do much better transferring them to an airline (many options besides UA) or even a hotel (I routinely get better than 2cpm at Hyatt).
  • where this really sucks is for the folks who earn BIS miles by flying UA. They don’t have any other options for cashing in those miles. (Of course one can credit to other *A but I typically refuse to do so bc many have hard expiration dates).
Old May 2, 2024, 10:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
...Nobody in FT collects miles for domestic travel ...
But that is the predominate use of miles by the real world
Old May 2, 2024, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nobody in FT collects miles for domestic travel (there are much better redemptions)
Nonsense. I've gotten a ton of value out of domestic redemptions.

nobody on FT should be “erasing” charges at 1 cpm. If you have a credit card that earns points you can do much better transferring them to an airline (many options besides UA) or even a hotel (I routinely get better than 2cpm at Hyatt).
A 1K will earn close to 200K miles per year just from flying. Those can't exactly be transferred to Hyatt.

where this really sucks is for the folks who earn BIS miles by flying UA. They don’t have any other options for cashing in those miles. (Of course one can credit to other *A but I typically refuse to do so bc many have hard expiration dates).
Well, right. But while there's nothing wrong with getting good value out of credit card purchases, primarily this is a forum about flying. I think you're underselling the impact.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 3:55 am

I've gotten a ton of value out of domestic redemptions.
What kind of value? How much better than 1cpm on those domestic redemptions?

A 1K will earn close to 200K miles per year just from flying.
Shouldn't they think long and hard about keeping crediting their flights to UA? Or better yet, think about whether they should avoid UA flights in the first place (I understand some of them may not have a choice). DL at least offers a somewhat better product to keep their elites flying DL.
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by tth6133

Shouldn't they think long and hard about keeping crediting their flights to UA? Or better yet, think about whether they should avoid UA flights in the first place (I understand some of them may not have a choice). DL at least offers a somewhat better product to keep their elites flying DL.
If you don't credit to United, you won't be 1K.
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 3, 2024 at 1:27 pm Reason: Stick to the issue
Old May 3, 2024, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Not exactly 'domestic', but I more recently bought BOS-ORD-YVR r/t in IN for 30k one-way for 2 pax. At 1.5 cpm that would be $900 which, for a TCON premium cabin, is pretty much rock bottom (and that is ignoring that YVR will ordinarily be much more expensive than that)

That is the problem I see with UA's approach. They assume their 1K/GS are captives and they might very well be ... for part of their spent. I'd say from $70k last year maybe 1/2 just made the most sense on *A/UA, but the other half could have easily gone to OW or ST, no problem. So here we go, I kept it with UA knowing that I can make good use of the earned credit from that. If that is no longer true ... that means going dual top status and spreading it around will be a very likely scenario for me. Significant loss for UA ...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 6:19 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
  • Nobody in FT collects miles for domestic travel (there are much better redemptions)
A lot of posters here are saying that they find value in last-minute domestic redemptions when cash fares are high. I've never had to do this, but many members seem to.

I just booked one-way biz in September DXB-CAI-YYZ-PHX for 88K miles, with MS on the first two legs (widebody at least from DXB, then 2-3-2 seating on a B777 to YYZ) and Air Canada Rouge (or is Jazz?) on the last leg on an A321 with 2-2 seating, so I assume it's like UA domestic F. Long layovers in both Cairo and Toronto.

Pretty bottom-of-the barrel itinerary! But this is what counts as a good redemption nowadays I guess and I might as well burn miles. New airline experiences for me at least (I know, with no alcohol on MS).
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mecabq
A lot of posters here are saying that they find value in last-minute domestic redemptions when cash fares are high. I've never had to do this, but many members seem to.

I just booked one-way biz in September DXB-CAI-YYZ-PHX for 88K miles, with MS on the first two legs (widebody at least from DXB, then 2-3-2 seating on a B777 to YYZ) and Air Canada Rouge (or is Jazz?) on the last leg on an A321 with 2-2 seating, so I assume it's like UA domestic F. Long layovers in both Cairo and Toronto.

Pretty bottom-of-the barrel itinerary! But this is what counts as a good redemption nowadays I guess and I might as well burn miles. New airline experiences for me at least (I know, with no alcohol on MS).
I am burning right now as much as I can. I would say 88k is a good redemption here. Check and re-book if there are better options coming up closer to departure
Old May 3, 2024, 6:53 am

Not United (I actually haven't found United terribly useful for what I consider reasonable cost domestic redemptions post Covid) but I regularly in last last several years get 2.5-3.5 cents per point for short haul/direct domestic Y to get my kid home from college and fly me and my ex up for parent's weekend (so like 10 flights a year). I use VS points on DL and BA/AA points on AA. I have also gotten a couple of decent trans-continental J flights in lie flat on AA in the 2-3 cents per point range on AA using AA points. The VS and BA angle have both been devalued some starting late last year (at least for VS the shortest haul Y was not and that is what I use for my kid) so it is likely I'll see a decline in my redemption values.

My observation with at least my travel patterns is United is the worst at releasing saver/cheaper domestic award flights and in fact I don't believe I have ever booked a United domestic Y ticket on points and certainly not since Covid. DL and AA are much better and with AA the awards are often decently priced on their currency or you can use a partner and often save some more. DL is generally not well priced using their currency but they do often have a decent amount of saver space you an book with partners though generally these partner redemptions are higher than they would be with AA's partners (especially domestic F). And I should add while I am not a United elite I do hold their CC so I do see the increased Y saver availability granted to CC users (it basically has never been useful).

As to the topic of this thread I earn seven figures of points across multiple programs each year largely from CC spend/shopping portals (mostly in transferable currencies these days). I have a United CC and I have about 500k of United miles earned over the years. It was always a secondary program for me but I would earn miles in it via CC or their shopping portal when it made sense. Aeroplan is my current *A main squeeze. With these changes United has officially joined Delta as a points program I really have no interest in engaging with (I have earned a grand total of less than 2500 points with Delta since I started earning points). I will cancel the United CC when the AF comes due later this year (that was probably going to happen anyway but this seals its fate) and I'll discontinue earning points via the United shopping portal. This further pushes me more to what I was doing anyway which is continue to focus on transferable currencies and take strategic advantage of transfer bonuses when available to foreign carriers some of whom, unlike United, are keeping their redemption prices competitive as a backdoor into the lucrative US CC market. Something that United isn't forced to do. And worst case with a lot of those transferable currencies I can offset the cost of a cash ticket for a higher cent per mile than transferring to United and redeeming that way.

Honestly United and Delta appear to be betting on the fact that most folks either cannot or won't do the math and I am guessing they are right for the most part.
uanj, htb and bmwe92fan like this.

Last edited by 36902BRF; May 4, 2024 at 9:34 am
Old May 3, 2024, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Generally 1.7cpm+, and more commonly 2cpm+. And, yes, I'm talking within the last year, not numbers from ten years ago.

I primarily fly UA for these reasons:
  • The network is best for the places I travel
  • They are the lowest-cost non-LCC option on most of my flights
  • Up until late last year, I was able to use PlusPoints with enough flexibility
  • They have the best consumer-facing IT of the US3

Originally Posted by rankourabu
If you don't credit to United, you won't be 1K.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
RDMs are only a byproduct.
This, on the other hand, is indisputable at this point.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 3, 2024 at 1:31 pm Reason: remove response to deleted content

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.