Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Increased Pricing for partner MP Awards April 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Increased Pricing for partner MP Awards April 2024

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2024, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Maybe it's time to lower our First Class aspirations?
I think those have been lowered a long time ago, since its pretty much only LH (3 days out) and NH (almost never, and just one seat at a time) left for Star First class.

I would not call flying EgyptAir J within Africa for 99k (33k last week) aspirational, yet it tripled in price.
SPN Lifer and ffI like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Fortunately for those of us sitting in back, a one-way SPN-UA-NRT-NH-MNL economy Saver Award can still be had for 24.8K miles, of which 14K is attributed to NH and the UA portion earns 108 PQP. ...
Only 75 of those one-ways to get to UA Gold
SPN Lifer, uanj and ffI like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
This is the biggest reason MP inflation has reached Weimar levels. Printing of miles by issuing such obscene amounts for (mostly) OPM tickets.

A $7000 ticket accrues enough miles for another $7000 ticket, on partners no less, that is just not sustainable.
I am pretty sure the average earn is way down. Partner tickets earn a lot less than they used to. With redemptions going up and earning flat or down ... that is just not sustainable. The 75k is one to discuss, but from a perspective of ridiculous devaluations, I am not sure there is a relationship
Old May 2, 2024, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by escape4
...flying south from Bangkok for example Singapore, was 28k. Now that seems to have jumped to 49.5k.
And SGN-NRT, which we booked last week for 49.5k, is now 99k. Brutal.
Old May 2, 2024, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
When you give out miles like candy (aka like a bank through credit cards), you have to massively increase redemptions to get more of them off your balance sheet. This will only continue one way and that's UP.

-RM
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 11:20 am

Silver lining: having paid 55K for TYO-PEK-MEL on Tuesday the new 110K price means that I don't have to do a daily search for a nonstop.

Originally Posted by MileTrek
Changes for VA as well. PER-SYD in biz is now 65k versus 25k yesterday, seems to be based on distance. Coach not up as much.
Wow, yeah, when 50K got TYO-PER-MEL two days ago that 65K is a shocker.
Old May 2, 2024, 11:48 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Why 30% ?? - inflation is 3% a year over past 20 yrs

Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, if they'd done it 30% per year, they'd have gotten to the same place; instead, they held them steady / with minor adjustments for an unbelievably long time, then apparently served them up all at once. So I guess we're both surprised.
As for "without notice," though -- UA is never going to give notice about increased award prices again. You can take that to the bank. There are no charts, so there is no announcement.
Old May 2, 2024, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
So, I wonder with all the devalue happening with the MP program, does it make sense to look at other *A programs and see if it is worthwhile while being here in the USA? Is Aeroplan worth it, Avianca maybe something else?
Old May 2, 2024, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by lllamg
So, I wonder with all the devalue happening with the MP program, does it make sense to look at other *A programs and see if it is worthwhile while being here in the USA? Is Aeroplan worth it, Avianca maybe something else?
I'm not flying UA because of MileagePlus redemptions. If you're strictly here for redeeming cheap NH/LH F awards, then maybe? Besides, you'd be crazy to churn UA miles with Chase when you could just as easily churn Inks for transfer to Hyatt or Aeroplan.

I'm on UA because it offers the best price/schedule for the routes I have to fly, and considering I'm averaging 91% CPU clearance rate this year, it's been paying off wrt actual benefits when flying. The occasional free ticket somewhere is a nice, but secondary benefit.
Old May 2, 2024, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffI
Why 30% ?? - inflation is 3% a year over past 20 yrs
Because people grumble about 30% increases but seem to live with them.

The inflation rate of the US dollar is completely immaterial to MileagePlus.
SPN Lifer, uanj and ffI like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 2:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
From the day Kirby joined MileagePlus was on an inevitable journey to MileageMinus (tm)- and we have arrived...
Well behind the domestic competition

The days of nonsensical 5 cpm awards are long gone, only made sense when there was excess space, which is presently gone.

With 100,000 SUBs and 75K earnings for 1K/GS which were enough for OW TATL Business (typically going for $4-5K), it made no sense.
Miles should not be getting that much of a discount. Even at say 1.5 cpm , this is amounting to nearly 20% award rebates for higher elites

I'm sure this is not popular comment, miles need to pull their revenue rate under today's inventory conditions.
SPN Lifer and hhdl like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 2:56 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
ZRH/Europe-BKK up from 49.5k (Y) / 110k (C) to 60k / 140k
ZRH/Europe-TYO up from 49.5k (Y) / 82.5k (C) to 60k / 140k
BKK-TYO up from 22k (Y) / 49.5 (C) to 35k / 90k

Using the cash price of a ticket to calculate the miles you get is just a stupid idea because it's clear that more and more miles will be earned when prices go up. Basing the miles on distance and booking class gave the program more intrinsic stability because the miles earned would remain constant.

I'm glad I've booked some flights already -- but I was hoping to change to better connections closer to departure. That idea is obviously down the drain. I'm quite disappointed with UA. Probably time to look for greener -- or at least less barren -- pastures elsewhere.

HTB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Well behind the domestic competition

The days of nonsensical 5 cpm awards are long gone, only made sense when there was excess space, which is presently gone.

With 100,000 SUBs and 75K earnings for 1K/GS which were enough for OW TATL Business (typically going for $4-5K), it made no sense.
Miles should not be getting that much of a discount. Even at say 1.5 cpm , this is amounting to nearly 20% award rebates for higher elites

I'm sure this is not popular comment, miles need to pull their revenue rate under today's inventory conditions.
The issue is that the mileage earning is directly linked to the US$ value. It was crystal clear that this will drive up mileage earnings when prices go up because of inflation, and that this will require regular devaluation of the redemption value.

I was more in favor of having the mileage credit based on distance -- maybe plus booking class. That value stayed the same and allowed for a more stable program. Funnily enough, some people were still arguing for a devaluation "because of inflation" -- but that didn't really make sense.

Since I'm mostly not flying with UA, my earnings have pretty much stayed the same -- but redemption rates have gone up by 50 to 100%. That makes MileagePlus extremely unattractive for me, and probably 75% of the world.

HTB.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 2, 2024 at 4:01 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 2, 2024, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA
What alternatives are people looking at for F awards?
LH: AC Aeroplan is cheaper but seems to have access to different inventory from UA
NH: Virgin Atlantic likely, but also appears to have less access than UA does. It seems like AC is completely blocking NH awards in all cabins?
TG: There's surprisingly decent availability for TG F, but only UA appears to have access.
Old May 2, 2024, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by htb
Using the cash price of a ticket to calculate the miles you get is just a stupid idea because it's clear that more and more miles will be earned when prices go up. Basing the miles on distance and booking class gave the program more intrinsic stability because the miles earned would remain constant.
One could just as easily argue that giving miles based on distance is a stupid idea because it allows people to get giant rebates -- > 100% in some cases. Unless, of course, you think people would be fine with earning 10% of the distance traveled on a K fare. There are programs that do that, and they're generally reviled for it.

Originally Posted by htb
I'm quite disappointed with UA. Probably time to look for greener -- or at least less barren -- pastures elsewhere.
Good luck. Those programs that aren't already ahead of UA on this race will soon catch up.

Originally Posted by htb
I was more in favor of having the mileage credit based on distance -- maybe plus booking class. That value stayed the same and allowed for a more stable program. Funnily enough, some people were still arguing for a devaluation "because of inflation" -- but that didn't really make sense.
The problem was that DL (it's always DL) started the award-based-on-spending thing, and they were drawing the highest spenders. UA and AA had no real choice but to follow suit.

Originally Posted by htb
That makes MileagePlus extremely unattractive for me, and probably 75% of the world.
MileagePlus is emphatically not designed for people outside of the US. It's basically a marketing arm for Chase.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 4:21 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
MileagePlus is emphatically not designed for people outside of the US. It's basically a marketing arm for Chase.
Giving away a TATL flight for signing up for a credit card seems to be uniquely US... Anyway, MileagePlus was good value for me before they cut the maximum number of PlusPoints on Premium Economy and Economy fares from 1500 to 750. With 1500 points Gold was reachable with about 3-4 returns between Europe to Asia. Now around 5-6 returns are required. And with the insane 100% bonus for 1K at that time, earning was quite good. Not any more, though.

With earnings limited by distance but redemption devalued by inflation, MileagePlus has definitely become unattractive for the non-American market...

I'm wondering how long these programs will work when it the earning structure becomes too unattractive for the majority. If I cannot reach Gold, I can simply buy the cheapest fare on the cheapest airline. Should I fly Business, I (usually) get lounge access anyway (unless lounge-less business class continues to spread).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.