Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lap Infant Ticket Pricing with Upgrade / Award Seat {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2024, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is Lap Infant Ticket Pricing with Upgrade / Award Seat

For non-domestic trips, lap-child is charged 10% price of an adult ticket for the cabin you are booked into.
If upgraded, then it is 10% of the upgraded cabin.
The price is determine at time of purchase of the lap-child ticket.

related threads: Lapchild fee not charged at booking

Traveling with lap child on international business class

United Website Not Showing Upgrade Option for Booked Itineraries (with lap child)
How to book a Lap Child ticket before the birth - unknown name, DOB, ...

Print Wikipost

Lap Infant Ticket Pricing with Upgrade / Award Seat {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by kopflyer
What's the policy on award redemptions? Is it possible, for example, to book two confirmed seats in C with miles, and then 2 more confirmed C seats at 10% of adult fare (either 10% of miles, or 10% of quoted revenue price)?
Award redemption infants in laps are indeed 10% of the full-fare price. Ouch.

However, to the OP, the infant fare is 10% of the "base fare" + all taxes of the ticket you paid That means that if you get the ticket, add the infant (via the phone), and apply the SWU, you will pay the same fare regardless of where you sit on the plane.

In this case, the OP is looking at like $150 per ticket, regardless if his SWU clears. Big difference than getting C award travel.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
BA fly non-stop from DEN to LHR and that would be the easiest approach. My experience, years ago, of travelling with little kids, is that they do go to sleep on the overnight flights and, for me, it made more sense to do it in Y. Once, one of us looked after the two kids and the other went in C, had a good sleep, and was "on duty" after arrival.

Separately, UA does the day flight bit from IAD and you could well benefit from a free stopover in IAD. CO also does it from EWR, but there's no E+.
Coming from COS/DEN, there are no same day flights that will get you to IAD (or EWR) in time for the day flight to LHR, so OP would have to fly out the night before.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
One thing to keep in mind is that you can't book more adults+infants in a row of seats than there are oxygen masks, so you will need to have at least an aisle between you or sit in separate rows.

While I have not done such long flights with Master and Miss PVDProf, between now and then you are crossing a developmental line with the twins when they can and will want to get down, run around, etc., and not have much self-control in what can be a pretty stimulating environment. Somewhere between 9 and 12 months, it suddenly seemed like a REALLY good idea to let them have their own seats, for everyone's sanity. Of course, your kids may be different.

You can check out the Travel with Children forum for additional advice on passing time and managing kids.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:13 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Having traveled extensively with my son, from 6 weeks to 2.5 years, I would strong recommend getting them their own seats and just sucking it up in Y for the 4 of you.

Buying 4 seats and then UG into C with SWU seems highly unlikely in the middle of the summer unless you can do it in advance. Even in C with the lie flat seats I wouldn't want to try and squeeze the 4 of you into 2 seats. You will be more comfortable in 4 Y seats (and your other passengers will thank you).

You will be able to get E+ which helps. At 14 months they're too big to be in the bassinets so you'd have to hold them on your laps the entire trip which honestly you don't want to do all night long. Neither of you will get much sleep. Instead, get them their own seats, bring their car seats, and they will sleep so you can also get some sleep. That will make the next day that much better when you arrive in London at the crack of dawn.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
One roundtrip infant fare to accompany two one-way adult award tickets?

I would like to do something similar, except that I want to purchase one roundtrip infant fare to accompany two one-way adult award tickets (with separate PNRs). I booked separate Star Alliance business-class award tickets from Germany to New Zealand and New Zealand to Germany (on separate occasions) via UA reservations a while ago, but now would like to purchase an infant fare for my newborn son. I have calculated the difference in price between one roundtrip and two one-way infant fares (at 10% of the full fare) is about 500 euros so it would be quite a saving if I can do so.

I am presuming that UA will want to sell me two separate tickets but am wondering whether a travel agent or the airline (Swiss is the first carrier) will issue a separate roundtrip ticket for the infant. Does anyone know whether this is possible and/or the best way to do this?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New UA C bed is quite small with little room for lap kids - we tried it on a shorter 777 transcon with our twins and decided against doing it on any longhaul. 4 seats in E+ is a better option but then 3 3 3 config is not very practical either.

Also I am still unclear on ticketing with lap kids in coach and then upgrading - iirc many end up not paying anything and those who do, pay 10% of current business fare unlike awards where it is 10% of full fare (for example if you clear in advance for summer or holiday travel with Z available you may only pay 300ish). Again I am not sure what the formal policy is.

FYI there are no extra charges for awards with lap kids booked with BD miles and only 10% of miles (not full fare) booked with BA. Of course there are hefty YQs there.

And of course there is one more key element: benadryl

Last edited by azepine00; Nov 11, 2011 at 11:08 am
Old Nov 11, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA1K,MM
You may be out of luck. Hooefully not, but, assuming so:

1. See if roundtrip is availablie in award for one or both of your tickets and rebook, then put infant on that PNR.

2. See if an expensive segment in the itinerary can be replaced with cheaper to make actual base cost less

2. What about using more miles and getting another business ticket for infrant so you don't have to have him/her on your lap? Lots of miles, but it is a long flight.

3. Propose to agent that they charge you less on the more expensive segment, i.e. match the lower one. ?Waiver and favor.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Cap'n Adventure
FWIW, if the $1700 includes taxes and fees as well as 10% of F fare from the states to Italy, that's actually pretty good price. On several itineraries I've seen, the lap infant fare to Europe in F has topped $2000.

Also, if this make UA's (and most of *A's) 10% infant fares any more palatable, CX charges 25% of full cabin fare for lap infants. So it would not be uncommon to pay more than $5000 to carry an infant on your lap across the Pacific in CX F.
can u please show me where CX states their lap infant rules/pricing? we're planning a CX F trip next year.. but if it is indeed around $5K for a lap infant.. we'll have to think otherwise.. thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:54 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by rukawa005
can u please show me where CX states their lap infant rules/pricing? we're planning a CX F trip next year.. but if it is indeed around $5K for a lap infant.. we'll have to think otherwise.. thanks!
The INF discount varies, depending on the route/direction:

-75% (25%):

[KVS Availability Tool 6.7.0/Diamond - Routing Rules: NYC-HKG/CX/FR/25940 USD]
Code:
NYCHKG-CX 15NOV11      *RULE DISPLAY*     TARIFF 0003 RULE 5000 
* ADD APPLICABLE TAX * FED INSP FEES *                          
   -FARE BASIS         USD       NUC                PTC  FT  GI 
FR              R  25940.00  25940.00               ADT  NL  PA 
FR/CH25         R  19455.00  19455.00               CNN  NL  PA 
FR/IN75         R   6485.00   6485.00               INF  NL  PA 
FR              R  25940.00  25940.00               UNN  NL  PA 
FR/CH25         R  19455.00  19455.00               INS  NL  PA 
BOOKING CODES        F                                          
PFCS MAY VARY BY RTG                                            
INDUSTRY FARE TYPE -  FU - FIRST CLASS UNRESTRICTED             
MPM - PA  9666 VIA PACIFIC
---------------------------------------------------------------

ROUTING MPM  MPM TRVL PERMITTED
-90% (10%):

[KVS Availability Tool 6.7.0/Diamond - Routing Rules: HKG-NYC/CX/FR/23978 USD]
Code:
HKGNYC-CX 15NOV11      *RULE DISPLAY*     TARIFF 0003 RULE 5000 
* ADD APPLICABLE TAX * FED INSP FEES *                          
   -FARE BASIS         HKD       NUC                PTC  FT  GI 
FR              R    186280  23901.46               ADT  NL  PA 
FR/CH25         R    139710  17926.10               CNN  NL  PA 
FR/IN90         R     18630   2390.14               INF  NL  PA 
FR              R    186280  23901.46               UNN  NL  PA 
FR/CH25         R    139710  17926.10               INS  NL  PA 
BOOKING CODES        F                                          
PFCS MAY VARY BY RTG                                            
INDUSTRY FARE TYPE -  FU - FIRST CLASS UNRESTRICTED             
MPM - PA  9666 VIA PACIFIC
---------------------------------------------------------------

ROUTING MPM  MPM TRVL PERMITTED
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rukawa005
Are you planning to booked CX F with cash?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Exclamation

Thought I'd tag on this thread as a warning/odd story to others.

MrsDave is flying on a UA award ticket, mixed *A carriers (no UA) - AAA-(C1)-BBB-(C1)-CCC-(C2)-DDD r/t . I've booked my own tickets on exactly the same itinerary and split the reservations (AAA-BBB-CCC r/t + CCC-DDD r/t) as the cost of the combined ticket was approx 4x the cost of a the separate reservations (we have plenty of flexibility and time so I'm not worried about missed connections).

When I went to add MsDave as a lap infant to the award ticket, I was originally quoted 10% of the (high) AAA-...-DDD r/t price I'd been quoted. I was told I could have 24 hours to pay, and took this to mean I had 24 hours to think about it. (Specifically, thinking whether I should add her to my PNRs and save about 75% of the cost of her ticket).

When I phoned back to say that I would put her on my tickets (and not on the award ticket), I was told that she had already been ticketed and couldn't be removed from the PNR (even though I hadn't yet paid).

Then two interesting things happened:

1. The 1K desk couldn't get hold of anyone in ticketing to confirm how much the cost would be. The note left in the PNR from the original call was quite cryptic and whoever I was speaking to either didn't understand how to decode it, or there wasn't sufficient information, but it seemed like she confirmed the same amount as previously. I was asked to give my c/card details on the understanding that the correct amount would be charged!

2. When the charge was eventually taken, it was for what I think is 10% of AAA-BBB-CCC only! This was about 25% of 10% of AAA-...-DDD The fare basis listed all the cities (including DDD) in the itinerary, but had a 0 charge for the CCC-DDD segment.

My take-away:
1: I'm certainly not going to flag this to UA as this is an amazing deal.
2: Check the amounts you are actually billed.
3: Be aware that agreeing to call back in 24 hours to pay is not the same as being given 24 hours grace! (Since the 10% is calculated based on the full fare, it doesn't matter at all when you ticket, at least that is what one non-UA agent told me).

Dave
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA *G .64MM; AmEx Plat freebies (HH Gold, Marriott Gold)
miles vs SWU (or whatever they're now called)

Originally Posted by dfreeman02
Lap infant on award ticket is 10% of full F/J/Y fare.

Lap infant on paid ticket is 10% of paid fare (even if upgraded).

Change fees for lap infant ticket are also 10% of adult fees.
does the upgrade instrument make a difference at all? heading to EDI in May 2012 for a wedding and trying to budget......

Laura
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA
maybe off-topic but related question: I understand C cabin prefers quite for business traveller, who may need to work and a good rest. But I do see people having a baby in the business class, and you can not prevent him/her from crying. So what's the general etiquette of accepting an infant in the C cabin? Or should totally avoid?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBsquared
does the upgrade instrument make a difference at all? heading to EDI in May 2012 for a wedding and trying to budget......

Laura
I am not sure this is true - iirc it's 10% of actual traveling class of service meaning that clearing an upgrade triggers an addcollect. Some agents forget to charge people given a rather uncommon nature of this.
I sponsored a friend on aa last year and they were asked to pay 10% of business. We decided to stick with coach.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: VAG
Is there any particular logic behind charging for lap infants at all?

I mean, sure, it takes marginally more fuel and marginally more FA effort to accommodate a lap infant. But it's not like anyone is out there deciding on a price basis whether to bring their infant child or leave 'em at home...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.