Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Dragons at DEN won’t allow me to talk to customer service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

So, my flight was canceled today out of DEN and United will not *let* me talk to customer service agents. You read that right.

there are 3 customer service agents behind computers in the CS area, but you are not allowed to talk to them.

the entrance to the lane is blocked off with a sign that says “need assistance? Scan the QR code!”

I stepped past the sign in an effort to talk to the customer service reps and they started screaming at me.

A dragon came over with an iPhone and said I must use the kiosk. I told her that I did, and it flashed red saying “see an agent.”

She told me she was the authority that would
decide if I can talk to a rep. After a few minutes of her bumbling around on her iPhone, it became clear she was not equipped to help. I asked her if I could talk to the CS desk and she said NO you must use the the new app feature.

I tried that and they were hopelessly confused.

totally insane to me that United canceled my flight and will not allow me to talk to the CS people behind the computer.

SPN Lifer, enviroian and cmd320 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Flying the friendly skies indeed!
SPN Lifer, rch4u, cmd320 and 9 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:44 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by dval44

How do you know those are customer service agents?
Axey likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ani90
How do you know those are customer service agents?
the people below the giant “customer service” sign? I assume this is /s
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:10 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by dval44
the people below the giant “customer service” sign? I assume this is /s
Not necessarily especially if the desk is closed with a big sign saying so and a staff member directing passengers away.
chavala and DiamondMile like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ani90
Not necessarily especially if the desk is closed with a big sign saying so and a staff member directing passengers away.
ok, the answer is yes, the people behind the computers were CS agents.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
And here I thought the complaint was going to be that they were limiting CS access to "trash only".

I would just tell them that I don't have the app.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 4:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
The lady who you called "dragon" is an UA agent. You just ignored her. They can do basically everything from a kiosk the same as behind the computer/counter.

So how did the situation get resolved?
cawhite, Adam1222 and chavala like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 4:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The QR code agents are normally local airport agents and that may be what those agents were doing. Not saying the denial was right, but if they were servicing other customers, by physically approaching them would not that be the same as cutting in line?
cawhite, Adam1222, chavala and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:00 pm

While service is their passion, safety is their priority.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:00 pm

They want people to use agent on demand. That‘s why the signs said to scan the QR code. As previously mentioned, good chance those agents were servicing customers via agent on demand already. Honestly, I won‘t be surprised if they get rid of the physical customer service centers soon since AOD can do everything an airport CS agent in person can do. Except they‘d be able to distribute demand system wide instead of specific airports experiencing spikes
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTahCha
The lady who you called "dragon" is an UA agent. You just ignored her. They can do basically everything from a kiosk the same as behind the computer/counter.

So how did the situation get resolved?
I did not ignore her. I walked through the issue with her. I asked her how many seats are still available on a later flight to an alternate info. She was looking at her phone app and said “I don’t know” then started counting the Y9 J3 etc. display on her phone.

I then asked her if I could be protected on that alternate flight while keeping my (now 5 hour delayed, returned-to-gate) itinerary in tact. She told me that is not possible in their system.

She then pointed to the QR code and said “try them.”
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:06 pm

Call people dragons and heck they might breath fire at you,
PTahCha, mbluecpa, cawhite and 8 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
What if you don't have the UA app? I have no intention of downloading the app and I probably don't have space for it anyway.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

I see. I didn’t consider that the physical agents at the customer service center were servicing remote customer.

There were lanes (blocked-off) and no customers visible. Then a lady with a phone pacing.

When I finally did get ahold of the “agent on demand” they ironically said “you need to talk to someone at the airport. They will be able to handle this better.”

For those curious, my first flight was “return to gate” then delayed 4 hours, so the bp was void and the system was going haywire.

also; when I talked the the “agent on demand” they insisted my flight had been refunded, which was 100% false. And I had to argue that point in the chat bot.

Originally Posted by tennessetom
Call people dragons and heck they might breath fire at you,
lol from my pov the person seemed to be playing the lounge dragon role of attempting to control who got to advance to the desk. That was my perception at least

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 10, 2024 at 5:19 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.